A Little Change Will Do You Good

Now that you’ve seen the reno pics and the “after” floorplan, I couldn’t wait to let you in on a few more changes that we made to the house.  Check out the “before” v. “after” floorplans!

BEFORE

090218before-reno-floorplan

AFTER

Picture 1

We kept most of the walls intact, but you’ll notice that we made these big changes:
  • removed the wall between the kitchen and den to create one huge living space
  • converted the old water heater closet into a pantry in the laundry room
  • added French doors to the office
  • converted the double closet in the master bedroom into one large closet
  • combined the dressing area and master bath into a large master bath
  • converted the master tub into a huge two-person shower by stealing about 12 inches from the closet in the third bedroom
  • pushed back the entry to the closet in the master bath by about 6 inches to align with the shower
  • added two new full height windows to the den, looking onto the covered patio
  • removed the sink from the laundry room and added a utility sink in the garage (using the original plumbing) so that we could have enough space to use a front-loading washer and dryer
  • flipped the refrigerator from the right side of the kitchen to the left side to accomodate a side-by-side fridge

Pretty cool, right?  What changes have you made to your house to better suit your lifestyle?

Comments

Love these detailed floor plans – especially how you showed the furniture arrangement in each room. What a lucky girl you are to have a craft room to yourself!!!

2. Liz says:

Christy,

I know, right?!? I totally got lucky on that one! It’s still a work in progress, but SOOO much better than the nonexistent space that I had in our townhouse. :)

~ Liz

3. Gillian says:

Love it!! What site did you use to make the floor plans?

• Liz says:

Gillian,

Aren’t floor plans fun? I used Floorplanner.com, and it was super easy to use. You can save up to five different floor plans for free, and I’ve found that you can save over old ones with new floor plans to extend your freebies. Happy floor planning!

~ Liz

4. You have tremendous vision, Liz! I’m in love with your breakfast room with that curved wall—it’s so distinctive. I wanted to ask you what your light fixture source was. We have builder basics in our condo, and I love your hallway fixtures with the beige mosaic glass. The blue master bath pendants are exquisite too.

I grew up with a love of studying floorplans because my mother was always designing her dream house (which they finally built in the late 80s). My husband and I feel like we don’t have the income to build from scratch—and he’s not a resourceful do-it-yourselfer like I consider myself to be, so he’s very intimidated by anything that isn’t move-in ready. I’ve contemplated going into real estate or home staging to satisfy that part of me (and possibly earn extra income), but I’m a little scared to make the jump!

• Liz says:

Laura @ thicker than water,

Hey there!! You know, that curved wall started out as the bane of my existence but it turned into a feature that totally makes the breakfast room – funny how things turn out!! :) Our lights are from all over the place – the blue pendants in the master bath are from Lowe’s, and those fun mosaic ceiling lights are from The Great Indoors (they’re made by Quoizel. As for jumping into real estate or home staging, go for it!!! Life is too short, you know? :) And those two professions require relatively little start up capital, so go ahead and take the plunge!! Do it on the side and see how it turns out – I’m sure it will be awesome. :)

~ Liz

5. joni webb says:

simply fabulous! I thin I like the kitchen the best – that is sooooo wonderful!

6. Jackie B says:

I am never at a loss for words, but WOW is all I have to say. You have a vision and seem to be able to follow it through! Commendable! So beautiful.