Turns Out You Can Have Too Much Green

I’m ashamed to admit it, but the floor in our den is naked.  We used to have a beautiful oriental rug in there (on gracious loan from my parents), but it recently found a new home in our dining room.  After a few weeks of cold tootsies, I went out on the prowl for a new 8 x 10 rug to cozy up our den.

After searching for awhile, last week I read about how the nifty homeowners over at Young House Love got an awesome deal (i.e., $34) on a snazzy, striped jute rug for their kitchen from The Company Store.  This information got me all atwitter so I decided to check out The Company Store to see if it has any cheapo (yet awesome) 8 x 10 rugs – turns out they do!!  I immediately fell in love with these babies:

mirage-rug-the-company-store

These “Mirage” rugs are an absolute steal at $143 for an 8 x 10 (plus $25 shipping), and the cotton rag material is casual yet chic and perfectly soft underfoot  – I knew one of these gems was going to be mine.  But which one??

I have a slight obsession with the color green, so I was instantly drawn to the chartreuse rug – but the rust rug is an awesome shade of orange and the red rug would coordinate perfectly with the throw pillows from Pottery Barn that we already have in the den.  See?

p1030214-1024x768

Such a serious decision!!!

After much debating and convos with the hubby, I decided on the chartreuse.  I know, the red rug would have matched the pillows, but I’d been wanting some new pillows so the chartreuse rug presented the perfect opportunity for a little updating.  Now I just had to wait a week for this spunky guy to be delivered!!

This fun package was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday:

p1030490-1024x768

After I snipped it open, the kitties couldn’t wait to get their little paws on it – here’s Lexie waiting to pounce on her big fat brother:
p1030498-1024x732

Of course, I soon realized that what looked like a springy, cheerful green on the website photo was semi-blinding in person.  No worries, I’m sure it will calm down once it’s in place under the tan couches, right?

No such luck.  Too much green is too much green.

p1030502-1024x768

This sucker is going back, and I’m sad – such a great deal!!!  I haven’t lost hope for The Company Store, though – now I have my eye on some of these fun (and ridiculously cheap) goodies from their Clearance section – all under 50 bucks!!

Wire Stools
Tribeca Storage Ottoman
Tribeca Storage Ottoman
Urbino Ottoman
Urbino Ottoman
Cancun Table
Cancun Table

(Ok, so that last one’s not under $50, but it’s pretty darn close – only $58, and how cute for a patio!!)

Had any similar “whoopsies” where the item that arrived didn’t quite match the picture you had in your mind?  Hopefully I’m not the only one to make that mistake . . .  What do you guys think – am I making the right decision by sending the rug back?  Got any ideas for a rug that would look great in our den?  Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Images courtesy of The Company Store.

Comments

1. chris says:

Is the green rug thin enough to use as a wall covering and/or make it a “bulletin board”?
    Is it thin enough to sew as use to cover chair bottoms and as a table runner?
    Maybe use it over an ugly narrow sofa table?
    Is the pile flat enough to stencil?
    Could it be used as a type of curtain on your covered porch?

These are just a jumble of thoughts, but it does make one open to many possibilities since postage to and from your source is expensive.
    I’ll be interested to follow other submitted possibilities.

2. Liz says:

Chris,

What awesome ideas!!! We did a little research to find out how much it would cost to ship the rug back (ouch!), so it’s currently listed on Craigslist. We have 3 months to return the rug, so if we don’t have any takers on Craigslist after 3 months we’ll reevaluate our options. :)

The rug is fairly thin but rather heavy, so I think the best “reuse” option would be to stencil the rug, which could look really cool! Thanks for the ideas, and I’ll keep you posted on how this all turns out. :)

~ Liz

Liz – After I’m done here I’m headed straight over the company store…I love those contempo tables, the cancun tables and the lanterns – one might fit into my family room redo – to go along with a couple of candle wall sconces I just bought! They were featured on This Young House recently – they’re mirrored with a white border. So cute.

I actually thought the green looked great – but if it’s too green in person, that ogee rug in green or tan might do the trick.

Oh, you’re not going to believe this, but it’s true. I think on my very first comment to you I said I wasn’t showing my husband your family room b/c of the TV. Well, I didn’t – but he’s been wanting a flat screen for ages, and I finally caved. It’s being delivered next week! I’m sure I’ll love watching my chic flicks and my HGTV on it!

And – thanks for commenting on my post today! Those pillows are fabulous, aren’t they? Target, all the way! When I do my big reveal I’m going to say where everything is from – that’s why I’m telling you here instead of back on my blog!

Hope you’re having a good day!

4. Liz says:

Christy,

That actually makes me feel MUCH better that you like the green – we’ve still got it in the den for now – maybe it will grow on us? I’ve still got my eye on a beautiful jute rug from West Elm that was featured in my design consult for Lauren (http://itsgreattobehome.net/2009/03/11/freshly-fabulous/) . . . we’ll see what happens. :)

You guys will LOVE your new flat screen – I’m not a huge technology buff but those things are awesome. Can’t wait to see pics of your new family room!!

~ Liz

P.S. I totally agree – those tables and lanterns from The Company Store are just too cute to pass up!! I’m really digging the wire stools, too…

5. Tonya says:

Liz, I have to agree with Christy – I actually really like the rug in your living room! However, I’m sure you’re right and it might be a little too much in person. Hopefully the Craigslist sale goes well!

I also LOVE the items you posted from The Company Store – beautiful and cheap!

Thanks for the great post!

Oh cool – maybe add some green and white throw pillows and vases with bright pink flowers? And maybe some new small art on the walls without the tv? I love green too!

I have the white contempo table in my cart…but I really want the turquoise one too. My walls are a blue/grey/green…and I have one bright turquoise vase already in the room and it looks fab. I’m going to email you a picture of the room in it’s as is/messy/not finished state. What do you think – blue or white? Or both? Is your email address on your site? Mine is alilwelshrarebit (at) yahoo.com

7. Liz says:

Tonya,

As you may have guessed by now, I’m a fickle girl and I can easily be swayed by compliments. :) Maybe the green rug will stay!! We’ll have to see…

On a side note, I just have to share the totally bizarre response that we got to our Craigslist ad:

______________________

Hello,

Thanks for the response,like I said am highly interested in this
    item,I will be glad if you could please withdraw the advert from
    Craigslist as am totally committed in buying it . I will also like to
    inform you that my mode of payment will be via Certified check .I will
    need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate
    the mailing of the check. It will be delivered by the United Parcel
    Service within 2-3 days.Please note ‘United Parcel Service’ do not
    deliver to P.O.Box addresses

1.Name to be on the check
    2.Home address
    3.Mobile #

I want you to understand that,I would have love to call but am a deaf
    and only uses a hearing impaired relay phone.You will not be
    responsible for shipping as I will instruct my shipper to come over
    as soon as you have cashed the check.

Regards,

___________________________

Um, I think scammer, no?? Fun times with Craigslist. :)

~ Liz

8. Liz says:

Christy,

You are totally talking my language- the green/white/pink combo is one of my all-time faves!!

Definitely send me a pic!! Address is itsgreattobehome@yahoo.com. :) Just judging from the fab throw pillows that you have on your site today, I’m leaning towards the blue… Can’t wait for the pic!

~ Liz