It was kind of pitiful – my cute hubby went outside to water our new sod last night and came back in covered with mosquito bites. It’s official – those nasty little buggers are here.
Ever since we set up our little oasis on our covered patio, we’ve been dreading the day that the mosquitoes arrived. We’ve also been hatching nasty plans to kill all of them. And researching various methods of whacking them (or at least encouraging them to bite someone else).
In honor of Earth Day, here are some of the funnier (yet probably totally ineffective) means of killing / deterring mosquitoes in an “earth-friendly manner” that I’ve found:
- Listerine. The word on the street is that Listerine can be sprayed around your house from a spray bottle, and the active ingredient in Listerine, eucalyptol, kills these little mosquitoes.
- Laser guns. I’m totally serious. Apparently scientists are developing a laser gun that will “toast millions of mosquitoes in a few minutes.” Awesome. Too bad they probably won’t be available to the general public.
- Fabric softener sheets. Just rub these sheets on yourself or tuck a few in your pockets and you’ll be bug-free (in theory).
- Liquid dish soap. Sprayed around your yard, liquid dish soap is supposed to attract mosquitoes with its lemony-scent and then kill them dead.
- Vick’s Vapo-Rub. Cedarleaf oil, an active ingredient in Vick’s Vapo-Rub, is a natural mosquito-repellant.
- Citronella. This one actually works (although I still seem to get bitten even when I’m holding one of these candles).
It’s no shocker, Snopes has called into question the effectiveness of Listerine and liquid dish detergent in repelling and killing mosquitoes. No worries, I’m banking on that laser gun – hey, CNN reported it!!
Do you have any tried and true ways of killing mosquitoes while still keeping Mother Earth happy? How are you celebrating Earth Day today? Let’s hear about it!