Our Flip: Day 1

Today marks Day 1 of our flip!!!  Our contractor and his crew should be there demoing as you read this – I’m so excited!!!  I can’t wait to see what it looks like when I get home from work tonight.

We went by the house last night and I took some last minute pictures for posterity – pre-demo pics!  Here’s a quick tour of what will soon become one awesome house:

[ The Front]

We're Flipping Out

[Entryway – looking into den and study.  Check out the wallpaper!!  Nothing says “let’s party” like shiny wallpaper.]

Our Flip: Day 1

[Living room & dining room combo – the gnarly wallpaper makes a second appearance.]

Our Flip: Day 1

[Kitchen & breakfast area.  The fourth bedroom, 1/2 bath, laundry room and garage are at the end of the hall.]

Our Flip: Day 1

[Kitchen – looking into dining room]

[ Half bath / laundry room near kitchen]

Our Flip: Day 1

[ Fourth bedroom.  This house is kinda set up like the floorplan at our house where the fourth bedroom is set apart from the other bedrooms.]

Our Flip: Day 1

[Den – looking in from kitchen]

Our Flip: Day 1

[ Converted patio through sliding doors to the right of the fireplace]

Our Flip: Day 1

[Back patio and pool.  Mmmm, makes you want to go swimming, doesn’t it?  And that Astroturf reminds me of how our back patio used to look . . . ]

[Jack ‘n Jill bathroom]

[ Second bedroom – connects to Jack ‘n Jill bathroom.]

[ Third bedroom]

[ Master bedroom]

Our Flip: Day 1

[ Master bathroom.  Recognize this beauty???  That’s right, we had something up our sleeves way back in April . . . so sneaky!!]

[ Master bathroom]

Our Flip: Day 1

[ Master shower.  Notice anything weird?  Like perhaps the faucet?  Is that a special faucet for washing feet?  I’m totally confused.]

Our Flip: Day 1

And last, but not least, check out these crazy lights – I think our flip is where all ridiculous ceiling fixtures came to hang out and have a party:

Our Flip: Day 1

So, what do you guys think?  Can you see the potential?  We think it’s a diamond in the rough, but a diamond nonetheless . . .

Comments

1. Averill says:

Wow — that’s some seriously hideous wallpaper and light fixtures. Amazing. So glad you took some “before” shots and, of course, I can’t wait to see the “after”. Btw, what are your plans for this house? Just a facelift or is some more serious remodeling going to be involved? Also, since this is a flip, how will this differ from redoing your own home?

2. Tonya says:

WOW! I do think this is a diamond in the rough! There is so much potential here- and SOOO many areas that need to be addressed :-) I seriously can’t wait to see what you guys come up with over the next few months – I’m sure it will look amazing!

I think you should list the lightfixtures on craigslist or ebay and let us know if you get rid of them, or make them a hilarious giveaway on your site :-)

3. Liz says:

Averill,

Great question!! While a majority of the work is going to be just facelifting (new flooring, paint, fixtures), there’s also going to be a good bit of hardcore remodeling. For example, the layout and cabinetry will be changed in the kitchen and the master bath, we’re opening up the kitchen into the den, and we’re moving the laundry room out of the half bath (and into some hall closets) and converting the half bath into a full bath.

In all honesty, everything we’re doing is very similar to what we did in our own home. The major differences? Timetable (much quicker so that we can keep holding costs to a minimum), and materials. We’re choosing nice materials but we’re also able to pick more affordable materials since we won’t be living there and we can ignore that little voice in our heads that says “But I really like THIS one!!!” (We also have a good bit of tile left over from our house than will be used as flooring in the bathrooms – yay!) That being said, everything that goes into the house has to pass the test of “would we want this in our own home?” If the answer is yes, then we go for it, and if we wouldn’t want it then we keep looking. This way we can still create a great end result while staying within budget – hopefully. :)

~ Liz

You know what – I actually like the top two light fixtures you showed us!

I think that wallpaper in the foyer and den is groovy! haha!

I am so excited to see what you’ve got planned. Are you making new house plans with a blueprint? Is that even the appropriate term? How much did you guys plan out before buying it? Or are you sort of winging it? And are you guys hiring same general contractor and team that did yours? As you can tell, I love reading about flips – I am so excited to see yours!!!

5. Jen says:

oh come on, the next post will be how you salvaged the light fixtures & wallpaper for YOUR house, I just know it! haha. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

6. Sara says:

That is a diamond in the rough! It looks like it is a good sized house though, just needs some major cosmetic work and updating. That foot faucet in the shower is so weird! And that is some gnarly wallpaper. I’m sure you guys will make the place gorgeous is the end though.

7. Audrey says:

ooo I’m excited to see what you guys do with this one! Looks like it has tons of potential!