Then I started thinking about a few of my favorite things (Sound of Music reference intended), and I decided that “uninteresting” simply means “everyday pleasures” – little things you see every day that become beautiful because of how they make you feel, what they remind you of, or how they inspire you.
In my case, all I had to do was take a leisurely stroll around our house to find my favorite things – here we go!!
1. Peonies. My love for these gorgeous beauties is beyond all reason.
But even more than that, they are just so simple and lovely. And they smell like heaven.
2. Bright colors (in pretty much any form they come in – especially glass). Seriously, it’s an obsession. But it’s an obsession that has toned down a bit over the years. Where I used to have a bright turquoise bedroom with red accents (yes, it’s true), that love of color has now translated into something a bit more grown up and socially acceptable – thank goodness! But honestly, a home devoid of color would depress me. It was something that seriously worried me when I met my husband – he was a true devotee to tan and various shades of beige, whereas I liked to experiment with every color on the color wheel. Somehow we have managed to survive such fundamental differences, and now I love looking around our home and seeing colorful images and pieces that really make me happy:
We’re still working towards getting our artwork hung (I know, we’re the slowest people in America), and I cannot wait!!!
3. Crisp, white woodwork. If you’ve ever seen our den and kitchen, you know I’m a smitten kitten for some white woodwork:
Mmm, it’s delish. White woodwork just feels so clean and fresh and timeless, especially in a kitchen. White crown molding and baseboards can be found throughout our entire house, and I always think it’s beautiful.
4. Our backyard. It’s a jungle out there, and that’s part of why I love it. There’s so much potential – pretty much anything we do to it will make it look better. In fact, just ripping out some flower beds and laying sod made a ridiculously huge difference:
But what’s even cooler is that our backyard is full of surprises – the good kind. The former homeowner must have known what she was doing, because practically every month a new patch of flowers is coming into bloom – there’s always something that looks beautiful and that just begs to become part of a bouquet on my kitchen counter.
5. My hubby and fam (kitties included). Sappy, I know, but no house would be a home and no life would be complete without loved ones to share it with. I should probably cross-stitch that somewhere.
6. Our house. I won’t repeat my prior ode to our home, but let’s just say that it’s definitely my favorite thing. Not the bricks and lumber so much, but the life that we live within it.
Enough of my rambling – what are a few of your favorite things? (Please tell me I’m not the only one singing the Sound of Music song in my head . . . )
Don’t forget to leave a comment on any post through Monday, June 22, for a chance to win a ton of awesome products from Gorilla Glue in the IGTBH Gnarly Giveaway!!! More details about the Gnarly Giveaway can be found here.