Our Flip: Showered With Awesomeness

The master bathroom is finally starting to come together!!

It’s still missing a mirror, sconces, a showerhead and an installed toilet (details, details), but look at this!!!

Our Flip: Showered with Awesomeness

I didn’t think that finally having the shower glass installed would make that big of a difference, but it totally does.  All of a sudden the master bath is starting to look light and airy and impressive, and I love it!  The shower is a far cry from where it started:

Homebody Query: Big Bath or Closet Space?

The whole shower enclosure is basically just constructed from sheets of custom-sized glass, steel clips and silicone – pretty crazy, right?  I got to watch part of the install, which was cool:

Our Flip: Showered with Awesomeness

Our Flip: Showered with Awesomeness

I don’t think I could be trusted with a sheet of glass that big!

I’m a total sucker for frameless showers, and we have one in our own home – they just look awesome!!  Of course, we also have the more traditional tubs with shower curtains, which are always a fun way to jazz up a bathroom.  What kind of shower do you have in your bathroom?

Comments

That is just gorgeous Liz! You have such vision – you should really make this your full-time job. Come flip a house in NJ and I’ll buy it from you!

Fabulous! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

2. Averill says:

I LOVE a frameless shower and this looks amazing. I’m so impressed. The room is completely unrecognizable.

3. Kristina says:

Fantastic! This is a night and day difference.

If ya’ll have a open house, you better let me know! I’m totally coming to it!

4. kathy says:

frameless is the way to go. the new shower is a huge improvement from whatever that existing thing was!

5. Jenn says:

Gorgeous!! I don’t mean to pry too much, but can you give me an idea of what the cost of a frameless glass vs. “standard” tiled shower is? We are in the very early phases of planning (or really, just dreaming) our master bath makeover…

6. Joan says:

Such a terrific transformation from granny’s coat closet! Not only is the glass wonderful and keeps the shower from being a dark dungeon, but the light travertine (?) on the floors and half walls keep it looking spacious and non basement like.
    Years ago I lost my mind and commissioned a dark green marble shower to be created (2 walls, ceiling, floor, 1/2 wall with glass and glass door). Just crawl under your bed wearing a sleep mask at midnight and you will have an idea of what it is like in my shower.
    I feel like I’m hooked on a reality show following the amazing progress in your fab flip!

7. Nicole says:

Liz!!! We just got our frameless shower door installed today. I absolutely love the look of them! Still waiting on the shower head but soon I’ll be showering up a storm.

8. Liz says:

Christy,

I’m booking my ticket to NJ as I type this!! :) Just kidding, but thanks so much for the compliment – it’s so fun to get to do something that I love!

Kristina,

We are DEFINITELY having an open house!! I’ll keep you guys posted, I’d love to see you there!

Jenn,

No doubt about it, frameless showers are more expensive – but they’re also awesome. The frameless showers that we’ve done have run about $1,500, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you got quotes a little above or below that. The cost all has to do with the fact that the glass is all custom cut and it has to be very thick to be safe. There are two different thicknesses of glass – the thinner glass is cheaper, and is typically fine to use as long as you aren’t using huge sheets of it.

As for tiled showers, the cost varies depending upon the square footage that needs to be tiled, but I would budget between $4-$7 per square foot for install plus the cost of your tile. It’s a little easier to control the cost of a tiled shower because you can decide to go with a very cost-effective (yet awesome) tile like subway tile (which I’ve seen for as little as 21 cents a piece), or you can get something extravagant – that’s totally up to you.

I hope this helps!!

Joan,

You always give me the funniest visual images – I love it! And green marble sounds very fancy!

Nicole,

Be sure to let us know when you have pics of your new shower – so exciting, I bet it looks amazing!!

~ Liz

9. Julie says:

Love this shower. Can you tell me the size dimensions of it and also the type of tile that you used? We are currently working with an architect for an upcoming renovation and having a hard time figuring out the bathroom area for a shower and also need to start thinking about finishings. We have an upstairs apartment in our house that we are going to take over and turn our house into a single family house. NOT looking forward to doing it, but can’t wait to have it done.

Thanks!

p.s. I found your blog through YHL. :)