A Sticky Situation

I was checking on things over at the flip the other day when I noticed a new subcontractor driving down the street.  His car was crawling at a snail’s pace as he craned his neck to check out the house numbers, looking for our flip.  As I was watching, he drove right by the flip (I found this a bit strange since the house was literally buzzing with activity and had a huge contractor’s sign out front, but whatever).

It suddenly dawned on me – the flip doesn’t have any house numbers!!  Oh, for shame!  How on earth are we going to sell this puppy if no one can figure out which house it is?

A day later, our flip proudly displays its numbers for all to see:

Our Flip: A Sticky Situation

Nobody will be whizzing past this house anymore!  Here’s how it all went down:

First, I bought a mountable plaque from Home Depot in a nickel-plated finish to coordinate with the new hardware, mailbox and exterior light at the flip.  I also found matching peel ‘n stick numbers in a matching finish – all of these goodies were in the same aisle as the mailboxes and driveway signs.

Our Flip: A Sticky Situation

The plaque came with a template that you can see below – I found that to be pretty much worthless since the numbers were bigger than the template.

Our Flip: A Sticky Situation

So, I tossed the template and eyeballed the placement of the numbers.  Once I got them where I wanted them, I just peeled off the backing and stuck those little babies in place!  Ridiculously easy.  Apparently the sticky stuff on the back is the same adhesive that they use to attach emblems to cars – I take that to mean that these numbers aren’t going anywhere.

Our Flip: A Sticky Situation

The plaque came complete with anchors and screws, so you don’t need to worry about fishing around for supplies.

Here’s our newly-identified flip – looking pretty snazzy, if I do say so myself!!

Our Flip: A Sticky Situation

What’s the house number situation at your house?  Mounted on a post, a plaque on a stake (that’s what we have at our house), painted on the front door, or are you going naked?

Comments

1. Nicole says:

Good call with the house numbers. :) Love the red door!

Gorgeous choice of numbers – and the red door is awesome! We have a plague next to our garage (which is the closest part of our house to the street) similar to yours, but it also has our street name on it. Leftover from the previous owner, and nice!

3. kathy says:

beautiful house numbers! we have a similar sign attached to a post in the yard

4. Averill says:

Our house numbers are on a plaque built into the facade of our house (looks rather like stone, but I’m sure it’s some sort of cement…).

Btw, I echo Christy’s sentiments — the red door is fab!

5. Kristina says:

I saw some of these at Lowe’s a few weeks ago. They had a ton of them. Good to know it can be super simple to give your numbers a face lift. Loving it! :)

6. Tonya says:

Love the red door and love the numbers! Great job!!!

7. Joan says:

Absolutely awesome! When I saw the first picture, I thought, “Liz is really investing a lot of extra money is this renovation.” It looks fabulous, and obviously at a fraction than I had originally surmised. Aside from the element of identification, the item adds to the drive-up appeal.
    A totally top notch renovation!
    (The guy looking for the numbers was for the mariachi band that went with the frozen margaritas at your Saturday pool party.)

• Liz says:

Joan,

I’m starting to think we should have had a pool party!! :)

So glad everybody is liking the numbers (& the red door!!) – I was really pleased with how well they turned out, and I will definitely be keeping this project in mind for future flips!!

~ Liz