The Flip: Our Last Sane Saturday

It may be Saturday, but when you’re flipping houses that doesn’t really mean much.  :)  We have a meeting with the floor guy (we’ve met with all the other trades, and then some, over the last few weeks) and he’s the last bid that we need to get before demo starts on Monday.

That’s right, I said Monday!  We like to hit the ground running over here – time is money, people!  :)  After Monday rolls around, the flip will look something like this:

{ Day 1 of demo at our last flip. }

Before the wrecking balls demo guys move in, we’re going to run around today and tomorrow to salvage the few things that we’d like to stay.

First to be saved – the knobs and pulls on the kitchen cabinets.

They were recent additions to the kitchens, they look great (I’m 99% sure they’re actually this and this) and they match the design scheme we’re going for.  The plan is to use them in the secondary bathrooms and on the desk in the 4th bedroom.

Second to be saved – this chandelier in the breakfast room:

I regretted not rescuing a similar one from the last flip, so I decided not to make that mistake again!  Someday, it will find a place in my own home.

Third to be saved – another chandelier, this time from the formal dining room:

Sorry I don’t have a closer picture.  It’s one of those vintage, ornate gold chandeliers with crystals – not everyone’s cup of tea, but I think it could be great in the right space (not at the flip, but maybe in my house someday?).  We had two of them at our house that I didn’t save, and I thought this one should be allowed to live on.

Other than that, we’re planning to spend the weekend taking more measurements and making final decisions about the floor plan (with lots of football-watching thrown in, of course) – there will definitely be some big changes to the floor plan, so get excited!!  Have a wonderful weekend, see you Monday!

Comments

1. I can’t wait to see what changes you make! Flipping houses must be so exciting!

2. kathy says:

the calm before the storm…

3. Joan says:

I think you will be happy you saved the two light fixtures! In the right place, with some tweaking, they could be fabulous! Maybe the crystal one in a much smaller place, like in a powder room. Or maybe add some crystals to what is already there, but in a different color . . . .
    In our first house (initially hideous, but the price was right, and why pay for someone else’s decorating?) I saved the plywood the former owner nailed over the holes in the hall walls (!). Later I used a skill saw to cut the wood into cartoon animal shapes that I painted to match the nursery wallpaper. It looked super, and made a good story.
    Keep us posted on the final destination for the painted metal flower lamp. Can’t wait to vicariously enjoy your flippin’ adventures!

4. Nicole says:

Can’t wait to see what you do! I just do not have the vision for this but truly admire people who can see beyond the “yuck” and can envision something fabulous.
    Nicole´s last blog post post ..fall weekend part 1

Oh wow I didn’t realize you were making big changes to the floor plan! How freaking exciting! I really can’t wait to see what you’re going to do with it. And I’m SO impressed that you thought enough to keep the handles and move them to another room in a house. That’s so HGTV superstar of you Liz! You are a REAL professional at this now, aren’t you?! Soooo cool!

6. Katie says:

I’m so excitd to see all of the work this is going to be!!! Thanks for blogging the steps you are taking!!! I would love to do this one day!!!
    Katie´s last blog post post ..Kitchen Chopper

Great thinking on saving the two light fixtures and the hardware in the kitchen. I agree that chandelier will make a pretty addition to your home!
    Katrina´s last blog post post ..Spooky Scary Entryway