The Flip: Fixing the Floor Plan

As you guys noticed last week, the flip’s existing floor plan has lots of good features . . . and just as many bad ones.

I was happy to see that the things that bugged you about the floor plan (here and here) are pretty much the same things that drove me crazy.  Here are the biggest offenders:

1. The wall between the family room and the kitchen.
  2. Accessing the 4th bedroom through the laundry room.
  3. The round breakfast room (mixed feelings from you guys about that one).
  4. The enclosed patio (mixed feelings about this one, too).
  5. The choppy master bathroom.
  6. The sliding doors from the master bedroom to the patio.

Luckily, we’ve come up with some key changes to the floor plan that should address all of those issues!

Drum roll, please . . . here it is!!

Can you tell what’s changed?  Here, I’ll break it down for you (sorry, you might have to squint a little):

What do you think??  I’m kind of in love with it, if I do say so myself.  I think the open floor plan family room / kitchen / breakfast area will be the bomb – and it will be ginormous.  The master bath (if all goes according to plan) will be seriously swanky, too, and the 4th bedroom will no longer be where the bad children are sent to think about what they’ve done.

Of course, this fabulous new floor plan didn’t just happen over night.  Oh no, we’ve been agonizing for weeks, bugging my mom, our contractor, and random strangers for their ideas.  After the last flip Jason and I decided that we wanted our next project to have a more modern spin – hence the super open floor plan that first enticed us:

But then we realized that the house didn’t really lend itself towards being modern and that our money would be better spent bringing the enclosed patio into the square footage and solving the round breakfast nook dilemma.  Hence our second round of floor plans:

This floor plan was almost there, but not quite.  The master bedroom was still lacking on closets (since in this floor plan the existing closet became a shower) and the toilet wasn’t fully obscured from view like it is in our final floor plan.  Bu I think we’ve got it now!

Here’s one last look just for funsies.

What do you think?  Do you think we got it right?

Small Disclaimer: I can’t promise that the floor plan won’t change again – with construction we’ve just got to roll with the punches!

{ UPDATE: Demo did begin as planned yesterday!  Double woohoo!  I’ll tell you guys more about it later. }

Comments

1. Love the changes! The family room/kitchen/breakfast nook is going to be a fabulous space.
    Samantha@yearofhomeandhealth´s last blog post ..October 4th already!

2. Irene says:

I love the new floor plan. I am just wondering, is there nothing separating the formal DR from the LR?

• Liz says:

Irene,

That’s right! We’ve gone back and forth about what to do with that formal dining room – for awhile we wanted to turn it into a study with French doors and let the formal living room become the formal dining room – but that didn’t really work because the access to the kitchen is through the original dining room. So, we decided to leave the rooms with their current identities. As for some separation between the living & dining rooms, we thought it best to remove the columns and leave the space open since the dining room is on the smaller side (10 x 10) and we didn’t want to make it feel claustrophobic. It’s just our best guess as to what will work, so we’ll see!!! :)

~ Liz

3. Andrea says:

I love that you flip houses! My husband and I own a design/build remodeling firm and we also like to flip houses. In fact we just sold our last flip after only 14 days on the market…I attached a link to our little write up!

I love what you have come up with for the floorplan, my only concern is in the Master bathroom. Do you design with code regulations in mind? The bath & shower set up seems a bit strange to me…but the rest, amazing! You guys do great work!

Andrea

I love it! Totally awesome! So glad you don’t have to go through the utility room to get to that bedroom anymore. So you’re not taking down the wall between the living/dining room and the family room?! I’m totally surprised! Would it just be too big a space? Are you targeting young peeps like your family and mine? I don’t know – I think I’d LOVE a giant open space…but then again, I DO love my dining room furniture and if the space wasn’t defined, not sure it’d look so hot. I’m sure you guys know what you’re doing! So excited to see the thought process that goes into it this time around. Taking mental notes, I am!!!

5. Sylvie says:

I like everything except for the Jack & Jill bath between the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms. As someone who grew up in a house with a Jack & Jill bath, it’s extremely annoying to run to the bathroom after you’ve had one too many Diet Cokes only to have to take the time to run around and make sure 3 doors are closed.

I honestly feel the Jack & Jill bath is one of the worst inventions for the home. Especially when you have brothers.

6. Liz says:

Christy,

I know, we agonized about whether to take down the wall between the living/dining and family room – at first we were all gung-ho but then we started thinking about things like furniture placement, being able to see through the entire house from the street at night, etc. Other factors were money (as always with a flip) and the fact that there was no good way to incorporate the living/dining rooms into the family room/kitchen without having the ceiling heights be totally funky.

In the end, the family room will wind up being enormous (think 30 feet by 15 feet – not counting the open kitchen in the width) so hopefully that will fulfill people’s need for a big open space. I think it would fulfill mine, at least! :)

Andrea,

Yup, I can assure you that the flip will be up to snuff in every respect. And I think my little floor plan probably isn’t as clear about what’s going on in the master bath as I would like – the shower / bath area will ultimately be laid out something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16863012@N06/4223585467/. Hope that clears things up! (P.S. Looks like your flip was gorgeous!)

Sylvie,

Ha, you are so funny! I agree, having to close 3 doors in a bathroom is definitely not ideal. We toyed (very briefly) with the idea of turning the area with the vanities into a separate powder room, but we likely wouldn’t recoup the cost AND there wasn’t enough space to add a satisfactory vanity/sink area in the leftover room that would become a jack ‘n jill between the two bedrooms. We also thought about converting the 2 closets across the hall into a powder room, but that didn’t make financial sense, either. Maybe a family without brothers will move in. :)

~ Liz

7. Joan says:

Liz, I LOVE what you and Jason have done! Each rendition gets better. I think you are right on target and can’t wait to see the changes materialize. I laughed where you described the 4th bedroom’s location as where small children are sent to reflect on their transgressions! Ha

Looks good, I could imagine how time consuming it would be to change an existing layout – I love that the family room, kitchen and eat in breakfast area will all be one room — it looks good
    Katrina´s last blog post ..The Dish- Simple Chili &amp Fried Corn Cakes

9. Helen says:

A lot of detail. I have one comment. Why not put the master bedroom in line with the patio for views and light, switching position with the bathroom? That way the light is in the bedroom and they also have access to the patio. You guys did a great deal of work. I wish my Architect had such vision.

Hey Helen! Great question, and it really just came down to budget – moving all that plumbing, reframing, etc. would have been a doozy. :)