What to Do with My Entryway Stencil?

I thought I’d steal a quick break from your regularly scheduled programming (i.e., yammering on about the house we’re flipping) to fill you in on my current entryway predicament.

About a zillion years ago I gave you a sneak peek of a little project I had going on in our entryway – and this is what it turned into:

I made my own stencil and went to town on the walls . . .

. . . but then I lost a little steam.  Most of the walls now just have a little border of the moorish tile pattern.  Oops!

Since it’s been over 6 months and I haven’t finished the project (I know, I’m a little embarrassed) I’m guessing that it’s never actually going to get finished.

So here’s what I’m thinking – I should either paint over the 1/2 wall that I have painted and just leave the border, or paint over the whole thing and wait until new inspiration strikes sometime in the future.

What would you do?  And please tell me I’m not the only one that leaves highly visible projects 1/2 done for months on end . . .

Comments

1. If leaving it until you feel like completing it isn’t an option, then paint over part of the wall and leave the border. It looks nice!
    Samantha@yearofhomeandhealth´s last blog post post ..October 4th already!

2. Krista says:

I tend to agree that finishing it would be really pretty. But if that’s not an option, then I say paint over it all…..I’m not so much into borders. Good luck!
    Krista´s last blog post post ..Home away from home

3. If your not going to finish this then you probably should paint over the whole thing, other wise you will always look at it as “the project I never finished”.

Are you sure you don’t want to buckle down and get it done? I looks great. You could give yourself a huge treat when it’s done as a reward.
    ingrid@morestylethancash´s last blog post post ..99 Days to Christmas Re-cap – Day 79

4. Lauren says:

Just fire all your tall friends. Or make every visitor add 1x stencilling, sort of like a more labourious guest book?
    Lauren´s last blog post post ..Day 40- life around here

5. With as many projects as we try to tackle at once, we’re lucky ANYthing gets done around the UD house! You’re not the only one with projects glaring at you screaming to be finished.

As for the stencil, it may just be me, but I often avoid finishing projects because I’ve grown tired of them. Has that happened to you? If that’s the case, I would just paint over and wait for new inspiration. And I’m not usually a fan of borders, so maybe that’s swaying my opinion as well. A border wouldn’t say “wow” to me, so maybe repainting and giving yourself a new blank canvas will clear your mind and the “Aha!” moment will strike!
    Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House´s last blog post post ..The Great Carry-On Challenge

6. Liz says:

So after hearing from you guys, I’m kind of re-thinking my options – it looks like either painting over it or finishing it are the best bets. (And I know, I’m not really a border person either, I think I was just attached to the easy way out…) :)

Hmm, maybe I’ll take another stab at churning out a few more rows of stencils per day . . . at least then I’ll have something to do for the rest of my life. Ha, I kid (a little). And Lauren, I’m liking your idea of forcing guests into hand-cramping activities . . . :)

~ Liz

7. Nicole says:

It looks so great…I would hate for you to paint over everything and lose all your hard work. My vote is to finish the project, even if you just have to do a little at a time. If that absolutely is not an option, then I guess painting over everything would be the best solution.

8. Irene says:

I have to agree with the ladies above – either paint over it completely or finish it. The pattern is so beautiful, I’d hate to see it gone.

9. I’m definitely with everyone else – gotta finish it or paint it over. I hope you finish – it really does look great :)
    Kate @ Twenty-Six To Life´s last blog post post ..Already Started My Christmas Shopping

10. You know I LOVE me some trellis walls, and I think yours is GORG! I vote to finish it, but if you have lost all motivation, then yes, paint over it! It’s your house my dear, do what YOU want!
    xo
    Kate

PS Your dining room is haaaaaaauttte! So chic!
    Centsational Girl´s last blog post post ..HomeGoods Contest- Mark Your Calendar

11. You are NOT alone. I have splashes of mismatched alien green everywhere in the dining room, just in time for holiday entertaining.

Paint the unfinished walls and leave the ones you completed in all their stenciled glory.
    Sunny’s Life in Rehab´s last blog post post ..Skull Candy

I haven’t read the other comments, but I’d keep the main wall with the stencil, the one if the first photo, then I’d re-paint over ‘the bordered’ walls. I think borders are too dated….and no one wants to look dated. And having just one wall of stencil is kind of like having one feature wall, right? Feature walls are in!

OR I’d either finish the product or secretly hire someone to do it while Matt was at work! HA! I’m so sneaky!

I LOVE this idea though Liz, and am so impressed at how professional it looks! Great job! And your dining room is just GORGEOUS! I love it so much. I want to invite myself to dinner!!!

13. Jenn says:

I LOVE this! Please finish, it is gorgeous :)

Oh and I forgot – I should take a picture of the wall over my dresser in my bedroom. We had to unexpectedly bust a big ol’ hole in it, to fix a leak in our master bathroom. My dad and Matt drywalled it back up, and I hung my mirror back, but the patch is an eyesore. We’ve just decided to live with it until we sell the house – could be years away, but I don’t even notice it anymore. Too funny! (Oh, and the icing? They didn’t actually NEED to bust that hole, they discovered after they’d already done it. They could have simply dismantled the shower head and solved it from there!!! DOH!)

15. melarse says:

Oooh! That is so beautiful; you have got to finish it!

16. Oh it was going so well! I love how it was shaping up. But totally understand losing steam (and time). I’d suggest keeping it as a border though….perhaps the mood will strike again and you can pick up where you left off, but in the meantime it won’t feel so 1/2 done.
    Averill (Odi et Amo)´s last blog post post ..Little Girls Bedrooms

17. Joan says:

Looks great, but since you aren’t going to finish each entire wall, how about just leaving the top two rows? That way you can still have options. We ALL have incomplete projects!

18. Kim says:

I love the stencil, and you got so much done… I’d hate to paint over it all. But, if it’s bugging you, that’s what I’d suggest.

And, are you the only person who has unfinished projects like this? No. You are just normal. And human. =)
    Kim´s last blog post post ..Renovation progress report – week 9

19. Julie says:

I think it looks great, and it would be a shame to paint over all that hard work. If you do decide to finish it, let me know — I’m planning a series of posts on allover stencil patterns for my stenciling blog and I’d love to feature your finished entryway!

Without a doubt the stencil looks amazing!! Please keep it – it looks so good. Next time we you your entryway that stencil better be done, lol

PS – do you have a light in your entryway, could totally see the pretty chandelier you saved from your flip in there! :)
    Katrina´s last blog post post ..The Dish- Simple Chili &amp Fried Corn Cakes

21. Oh please, do finish it! You’ll feel so good when you’re finally done and it will look so good!

Loving it so far. I want to do our guest bedroom in that stencil sometime soon!