Saturday Style: Stuck in a Rut

What do I know about fashion?  Um, nothing.

As someone who is self-employed and works from home, I can often go for days at a time without seeing anyone but my cute hubby and furry cats.  Because of that I’ve become increasingly at ease spending my work days in the stretchiest, most comfortable things I can find – typically sweats, T-shirts, and a ponytail.  To put it simply, I’m stuck in a rut.

Follow along as I try to  find my way out of the sweatpants and into something more stylish.

Saturday Style

It seems I fell into the old “sweats are appropriate for all occasions” mentality early in life.

Me as a Kiddo

( I’m pretty sure that’s my brother’s Superman outfit – not quite sure why I chose it for Christmas morning. )

At home, I’ve always been the type to wear “comfies” (a.k.a. sweatpants or other elastic waisted garb), and in public I can almost always be found in jeans and a T-shirt, and probably flip flops.  And not the cute sandal kind.  Once I started working in a law firm I obviously had to step it up a notch, but then everything I bought suddenly fell into two categories – comfy stuff or work clothes.  Nothing fun allowed!  I’m not quite sure why I didn’t realize that there could be a happy medium, but I didn’t.  Fast forward a few years and now I’m self-employed – a huge blessing in every way.  But now I don’t need the traditional work clothes that I used to wear, and my closet has left me completely uninspired.

In order to change my approach to clothing and my personal style, I think I need to try something different – hence the Saturday.Style series.  Yikes, I can’t decide if I’m more nervous or excited!  What if you guys are bored stiff by the series, or blinded by my attempts at style?  Ugh, scary thoughts.  But I’m going to forge ahead and hope that I’m not the only one that could use a little inspiration on the fashion front.  Fingers crossed that it actually works out like that.  :)

So here we go.  While I’m never going to be a fashionista (and I’m more than okay with that), I think stepping it up a notch is totally doable.  For the most part, I plan on working with what I already own.  Here are my first few ensembles since I started documenting my attempts at creating outfits a little over a week ago:

Where:  Thanksgiving at our family’s homes

When: Thanksgiving Day (November 25, 2010)

What: cardigan (Banana Republic Outlet), T-shirt (Old Navy), jeans (Seven for all Mankind), boots (Target), necklace (Jess LC), gold hoops (gift)

This is the day that I realized skinny jeans are an absolute must when wearing boots.  These jeans are boot cut but they don’t make the cut with boots.  (Hardy har.)  They’re kind of wadded up inside the boots and keep getting pushed up out of the top, so note to self – need more skinny jeans!!!

Where: impromptu photo shoot by the hubby for this series

When: last Sunday (November 28, 2010)

What: top (Banana Republic Outlet), skinny jeans (Forever 21), flats (Nine West Outlet), necklace (Sam Moon), belt (Old Navy)

This is the first time I was brave enough to wear skinny jeans with flats – I was worried it would accentuate my pear shape too much, but I think the outfit turned out okay!

Where: girls’ day out with my sister, mom and aunt

When: last Monday (we played hooky from work!) (November 29, 2010)

What: cardigan (Gap), T-shirt (Old Navy), jeans (Gap), boots (Target), necklace (Sam Moon), belt (Express), spoon ring (War Eagle craft fair)

This turned out to be a great outfit for being out and about (although the necklace kept getting caught in things, like my seatbelt).  I really liked the color combo of gray and brown – I’ve talked about how it works for interiors, but I’d never tried it with an outfit before!

Where: working from home, at the flip

When: last Tuesday  (November 30, 2010)

What: top (Old Navy), tank (Gap), jeans (Citizens of Humanity), flats (Old Navy), scarf (Sam Moon), earrings (Sam Moon)

Favorite outfit of the week.  I used to absolutely hate this berry colored shirt because it’s a little short (solved with the gray tank) and I wasn’t crazy about the neckline (solved with the scarf).  I felt cheery and comfortable all day!

Where: working from home, at the flip

When: December 1, 2010 (last Wednesday)

What:  sweater (Calvin Klein), button up (Gap outlet), jeans (Seven for All Mankind), belt (Gap), boots (Timberland), studs (Sam Moon), necklaces (James Avery, local boutique)

Even though I liked this outfit and it was comfortable, I felt a little mannish.  Do button ups do that you?

Where: working from home, at the flip, brunch, previewing houses

When: December 2, 2010 (last Thursday)

What: cardigan (Old Navy), long shirt (Forever 21), belt (Sam Moon), skinny jeans (Forever 21), boots (Target), earrings (gift)

I think I went through a zillion different combinations before I came up with this outfit, but I really liked the end result!  This is the first time I’ve gotten up the nerve to try the belted cardigan trend – I think it’s tricky, and I hope I got it right.  This was a super comfy outfit, and perfect for our sunny but chilly weather.

Where: real estate class & the flip

When:  December 3, 2010 (yesterday)

What: blazer (Club Monaco), button up (Banana Republic), jeans (Banana Republic), wedges (Nine West Outlet), belt (Sam Moon), necklace (Walmart)

Yesterday was not a fab day appearance-wise.  First, my hubby innocently referred to this as my “cowboy outfit” (not the look I was going for); second, it was uncomfortable for sitting in a classroom for half the day; third, I changed into something hideous once I got home because it was so uncomfortable and then ran into a friend that I hadn’t seen in forever at Home Depot while I was looking hideous; fourth, a neighbor told me I must be the about the same age as her daughters, who are 43 and 44.  Sigh.

How about you guys?  Are any of you trying to get out of a rut like I am?  Think you’ll be able to stand this new series?  (Eek, be kind!)

Comments

1. Julie says:

Since having a baby a year ago, switching careers from glitzy to um…sane, and moving from fashion capital of the world, NYC to Austin, I have had the exact same dilemma, and have thought about doing the same thing on my site. Good for you!
    First of all – you looked super fab and stylish without looking like you were trying too hard. If it takes too long to put together an outfit, chances are, we’ll cave and walk out in a t-shirt and jeans. Cute, but where’s the adventure in that? Kudos, girl. And yes, if I spent a fraction of the time on myself that I spend on my home…I think I’d be the best dressed girl in the ‘hood.

2. JenM says:

I think you are ultra cute and NOT pear-shaped at all. Good grief, woman! You have a fabulous figure.

I am also trying to get out of a rut, I started spicing up my outfits about last spring and it makes such a difference to how I feel. I do blog some of my outfits (I have a What I Wore category).

My fave outfit from the ones you shared was the last one! I don’t think it makes you look 43 or like a cowboy at all. But as a fellow fashion-challenged … what do I know?!

Anyway, please keep the style posts coming!
    JenM´s last blog post post ..2010 family photo

3. First of all, you are adorable. I think you are far too hard on yourself about fashion. You look great everyday. I’m a huge (HUGE) fan of the grey boots. As in, I’m goign to buy them if I can find them. I really like the button up with the sweater, I don’t think it’s masculine at all. And, I’m a huge fan of the belted cardigan. Most days this is what I wear. Easy and put together.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..Did you dare

4. Liz says:

Can I just say how much you guys rock? I was so nervous about this series and you’ve already made it so fun!! Im glad I’m not the only one trying to figure out this whole style thing. JenM, I can’t wait to check out your posts when I get back in town tomorrow! Julie, how are you liking Austin after NYC? I’m driving through Austin this weekend.

Anyway, y’all are awesome. :)

~Liz

5. Lisa says:

I think you look cute! I have the same problem…I’m a sahm mom, and I wear sweats pretty much day in, day out. I used to be an attorney, and I have three bins of cute suits out in the garage, but I don’t have much use for them these days. I do okay with cute dresses in the summer, but I hate wearing jeans and tailored pants, so in the winter I tend to look pretty dowdy.

• Liz says:

Lisa,

Oh, I so relate!! I can’t bear to part with my suits (those suckers are expensive!) but I can’t imagine wearing most of them again. And now I always feel too “work-ish” in my tailored pants, so jeans it is!

~ Liz

6. What do you know about fashion? A lot! You are just too cute, I love your ensembles!!! I wish you lived closed cause we’d totally go shopping together!
    xo
    Kate
    Centsational Girl´s last blog post post ..Decorative Pillow GIVEAWAY

7. Jen says:

As someone who has seen you in many different settings (i.e. parties, the day after parties, law school finals, weddings, studying for the bar exam) I can say you always look fabulous, even in sweats :) Can’t wait to see you (& those yummy sounding cookies!) next week!!

8. I was stuck in a rut when it came to my hair because it is so long. It was always up or down, and I never seemed to have time to curl or straighten it so it was pretty boring. Then I realized that I need to change so I cut myself some bang [which you already have and look lovely with btw] and now I have no choice but to do my hair every morning [except the days I am lazy and just throw a headband on.

I am excited for this series but I think you already dress better than me so you look great in my book .

• Liz says:

KellyMichelle,

I know what you mean!!! I’ve always had a hard time figuring out my hair – and I love having bangs, but those suckers can be a pain, right? (P.S. I peeked at your blog and you are too cute, so I don’t know what you’re talking about!)

~ Liz

9. Krista says:

This series is such a great idea! Sadly I am also stuck in a rut, so i totally get it. I keep using the excuse that we just moved, but that was 4 months ago and my clothes are still in boxes. To my excuse we are renovating (and living in it) and I don’t really have anywhere to put things…..excuses, excuses, i know! I think I’m just overwhelmed since we moved all of our stuff from storage into a new home across the country after spending 2 years in Guatemala where jeans and t-shirts everyday is dressing up. I’m still wearing my “Guatemala” clothes that are all worn out and gross and I know it’s making me feel worse, but I still can’t seem to shake it. I totally believe that if you look good, you feel good and you are looking great! Thanks for the inspiration!!
    Krista´s last blog post post ..Black &amp White- or not

• Liz says:

Krista,

Dang girl, you’ve had an exciting life! And you’re so right about “looking good if feeling good” – or at the very least, “looking bad is feeling bad”!!

~ Liz

10. Aimee says:

I love them all! I must say, however, that you should give yourself a little more credit. You might have slightly larger hips than bust (and if you do, it doesn’t look like it), but you are NOT a pear shape.

I’m in the process of losing a LOT of weight (25 pounds gone, 75 to go), and I will have no idea how to dress myself. The last time I was that thin was college, when I literally gave a crud about what I wore – lots of ill-fitting jeans and sloppy tees. It’s going to be fun to figure it out!
    Aimee´s last blog post post ..RTT- It’s Too Cold for Commando

• Liz says:

Aimee,

I’m so impressed!! You’re a rock star, good luck with the rest of your weight loss!! I hope you treat yourself to a FABULOUS shopping spree when you’re ready. :)

I’ve always been a little paranoid about the pear-shaped thing, and you guys have definitely made me take another look at myself – thanks for that!

~ Liz

11. Joan says:

This is so fun to see the super cute things you are wearing. I’m not seeing the rut or the pear shape. Looking good takes a lot of time and effort and $, so with the 37 other things that seem to take priority, looking OK is about as good as it gets. However, I totally agree that pulling yourself together makes a huge difference in how I feel during the day. Think about how you feel when you go somewhere and your hair, you are certain, without a doubt, looks dreadful. Longest day ever. This could be my inspiration to get it together again! You looked darling, even as a little girl in your brother’s shredded Superman outfit!

• Liz says:

Joan,

For some reason I think bad hair days are MUCH worse than bad outfit days – why is that? Have fun breaking out of the rut! :)

~ Liz

12. Laura says:

That necklace i was telling you about that I ordered was ‘Jess LC.’ I’ve never heard of it but loved her stuff!! Excited you had a necklace. =) see you soon

I LOVE this new series! Love it! Want to copy it once I’m in my clothes next year!!!

I’ve never heard of Sam Moon – googling now! And Seven for Mankind will go on my list of places to shop next year – for fab jeans like yours.

I totally don’t think the button up belted cardigan was manly at all! I thought it was tres chic and you totally pulled it off. Love all the looks, seriously. You have way more fashion sense than me. And you are TOTALLY not a pear shape! You’re a skinny minnie!

Maybe, just for kicks, I’ll take a picture of me every day this week – or next – and you can see JUST how slovenly this SAHM looks every single day! But seriously, once I’m at my goal weight I’m so doing this. (36 lbs down now! Woot!)

• Liz says:

Christy,

Oh, I hope you start a series! (Actually, I hope ALL of you start one – the more inspiration the better!)

As for Sam Moon, they have an online store – don’t be freaked out by it! About 98% of the stuff is total crap, but the last 2% is fabulous. There are a few stores here in Texas, and it’s pretty much accessory heaven.

~ Liz

14. Debra says:

Oh my God–after I saw you at Home Depot, all I was thinking about was how frumpy I looked! I mean, yoga pants in public? Come on! :)

• Liz says:

Debra,

I have never seen you look frumpy in my life – you’re adorable! And it was so great to meet your cute girls. :)

~ Liz

I think this is a great feature! I think overtime we all get stuck runts and wear our comfy clothes or just throw whatever on. I love that your taking Sat pics and capturing what your wearing , which helps create new plenty a new outfits!

Skinny jeans look great on you! And I thought you look so cute in your ‘mansih’ outfit :)

I’ve been feeling frumpy, I going to start shopping my closet and see what new looks I come up with!
    Katrina´s last blog post post ..Mapping Out the Wine Country

• Liz says:

Katrina,

Ooh, good luck with creating some new looks – I’ve been trying to look at my clothing differently, too, and it’s amazing how some things that I’ve always hated have turned out to be great pieces! Who knew?

~ Liz

16. Julie says:

Liz – I LOVE Austin. And just got a job in a really cool shopping district, so super excited. Austin has all the best characteristics of the greatest city ever, but I’m not biased at all. ;)

Also, to all the ladies – 2 words: Plato’s Closet. I always have a large giftbag in my trunk filled with gently used clothes from my closet (I love to purge), and will take them to Plato’s and get cash.
    Then, I use that $ for my designer jeans at Plato’s (it’s like Buffalo Exchange – really great for designer thrift items) OR BETTER YET – go next door to HomeGoods. Now, I make a little bet with myself that I can’t go to HomeGoods without going to Plato’s first…and use just the cash I get. But, I usually walk out with $100+ so…IT IS ALL GOOD, Y’ALL!
    Happy shopping!

• Liz says:

Julie,

I’ve heard of Plato’s Closet a zillion times on the radio but never checked it out – I’m definitely putting it on the to-do list! Thanks for the tip!

~ Liz

17. Shannon U. says:

I love the new Saturday Style feature! I’m a SAHM, and a homeschooler (so I don’t even have to get dressed to take the kid to school!). I’ve fallen into the “athletic wear” look…when, ahem…I’m not necessarily athletic looking. :)
    Liz, if you’re a pear, I’m a gourd of some kind. Love your ensembles! I want to see more!

• Liz says:

Shannon U., you’re too funny!

P.S. Not sure why those 2 photos are showing up as “unavailable” – I’ll try to fix it, but in the meantime if you click on the empty photo it will take you to Flickr where you can see the full photo. Sorry about that!

18. Felicia says:

1) You look great in skinny jeans. And the two outfits you created with them look awesome.

2) Sorry the “cowgirl” outfit was uncomfortable. I LOVE THOSE JEANS. Don’t throw that baby out the the bath water.

Thanks, Felicia!! And I’m with you on those jeans – they’re some of my faves, but I really don’t wear them often enough because then I have to wear heels. :)