The Flip: Bamboo Floors

I’ve always been a dark wood floors kind of girl, so I never really fell in love with bamboo floors.  Until I saw these guys:

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

Maybe I’ve been living under a rock, but this was the first time I’d seen dark stained bamboo! So it came home with us. :)

A zillion boxes of that gorgeous bamboo lived in our garage for what felt like forever, and on Tuesday the floor guys started prepping the slab at the flip so that the bamboo could be installed.  Yippee!!

The prep work was kind of a long process – part of the floor in the great room was floated about a month ago and a few other areas got the same treatment on Tuesday so that the slab is a nice, even surface for the bamboo.

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

The parts of the slab that were previously tiled (before all the tile was torn out) had to be scraped to remove any remaining bits of thinset . . .

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

. . . and the entire slab had to be ground down a bit for a smooth surface.

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

The bamboo had been happily acclimating in the house for a few days, so late in the afternoon on Tuesday the flooring started going in!!

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

The Flip: Bamboo Floors

Hopefully it will all be installed by the end of the day today – I am over the moon with how it’s looking!  It feels warm and cozy, and definitely makes the house feel a lot more finished.  I think I’m hooked on bamboo from here on out!  What about you guys?

P.S.  Don’t forget to enter the giveaway!

Comments

1. Jen Rames says:

It looks great Liz! I would take bamboo in any color if it meant getting rid of carpet…maybe one day!
    Jen Rames´s last blog post ..San Antonio Riverwalk Museum Reach

Ooh, that would be such a fun change! I can just imagine Frank sliding around, happy as a clam . . . :)

Oh my goodness what a difference! I absolutely LOVE it. I want that in my next house, for sure. I’m a dark wood kinda gal too – and I’ve never heard of dark bamboo before now either! Learning something new every day!

Thanks, Christy! I know, isn’t is crazy how each change makes such a big difference?

3. Looks beautiful!
    Samantha@yearofhomeandhealth´s last blog post ..Squirrel in the House!

4. Rebecca says:

OMG It’s absolutely beautiful!!! Now that the floors are in it really comes together. The picture of the great room makes me want to move there.

That’s how I feel, too! Ha! The lighting is going in now, too, and I was surprised what a big difference that made. Getting close!

5. Janis says:

Liz, your Great Room now looks like The Grand Ballroom!

Isn’t it huge? I know it will fill up fast with furniture, but I think someone could host a pretty serious party in there!!

6. Cathy says:

LOVE the dark bamboo!! I am with you, I haven’t seen bamboo looking so rich! Your flip is looking fabulous, I have been enjoying following it!

Seriously, this bamboo is definitely the flooring winner from here on out – so glad you like it!! :)

7. Amber says:

Can you give us the details? Brand wise – I tired to get it from your pics, but my eyesight is horrible!

8. Christina says:

wow i love dark wood floors and im in love with this color thanx so much

9. Nicole says:

We were planning to install some new wood floors at the new year, but I will definitely be considering bamboo now! That looks GREAT! And bamboo is more eco-friendly as well (at least, so I hear) so you made a wise choice! And thanks for link of where you found the bamboo…I’m off to Floor and Decor!

You’re definitely right, it’s a lot more eco-friendly than traditional hardwoods because bamboo grows back SOOO much quicker!! Have fun at Floor & Decor, it’s addictive! :)

10. Truly stunning Liz, I cannot believe how far bamboo has come. Can’t wait to see this finished, the entire flip is coming along so great!
    xo
    Kate
    Centsational Girl´s last blog post ..Dreaming of a White Christmas Tree or Two

Thanks, Kate!! :) I know, I’m so ready to tackle the punch list this weekend and finish this sucker!

11. The color is gorgeous. This is the first that I’ve seen bamboo with the dark stain, too. Great find. So rich.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post ..Pizza in the oven baby shower

I’m glad I’m not the only one that was in the dark about the dark stain! (no pun intended). :)

12. Emily S. says:

Liz, this is beautiful! Really, really gorgeous. Wish I could have those floors (and your whole flip!)!

13. I’m a huge fan of dark floors, too, and I would totally use that bamboo! Love. And I also love how much natural light you have in your house. I think it’s much easier to carry off the dark floors when you have so many windows letting in all that gorgeous light. Great choice!

14. Liz - It's Great To Be Home says:

Thanks, Katherine! You’re right, we totally got lucky with the windows – those awesome French doors were already there when we bought the house!

15. Gorgeous, Liz! Absolutely love the idea of dark bamboo floors (and I didn’t know they ever stained them dark either!).

16. Joi says:

Wow.wow.wow! I love them–great choice!
    Joi´s last blog post ..Just Some Thinking Outloud