The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

After the great room, the next reveal on the agenda is the dining room!

The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

Here’s how it looked 3 months ago:

The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

Renovating the dining room was a breeze when compared to the great room.  All it needed was new bamboo floors, a column-ectomy and a little layout switcheroo.

The original dining room was in the smaller back room, and the larger room with the bay window was the formal living room.  Since the house already had a ginormous great room we thought the formal living room was a little unnecessary, so we took the opportunity to upgrade the dining room to the larger room so that the future homeowners can host big family dinners and all of that fun stuff (the room can actually accommodate a much larger table but we chose not to use our table’s leaves).  To us, the smaller adjoining room makes more sense as a sitting area or study, but we left the junction box so the future owners can always turn it back into a dining room by moving the chandelier if they’re so inclined.  A win-win in my book.

The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

( The bay window is definitely my favorite part of the dining room, but I can’t take any credit for that since our only contribution to the window was having it cleaned! )

The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

The Flip: The Dining Room, Then & Now

It’s amazing what a little paint and flooring can do!  What do you guys think?

Comments

1. everything is stunning! crisp! clean! and beautiful.

do you have a resourse for that rug! it’s a show stopper! i’ve been looking for something similiar.

thanks!!

Thanks, Michael! It’s from Pottery Barn – I’ll be posting a full list of sources later on. :)

2. What do I think? I think these photos belong in a magazine, that’s what I think. You did such an amazing job, even though you are downplaying it. The window is massive, love that. And, I love that you used the space much better. Do people even use formal living rooms anymore?

That light fixture? WOW!

And, I love the rug you chose. Waiting anxiously for your source list. ;)

(PS. I usually read blogs at night, but I totally am running late to work so I could check out if you posted before I left.)
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..Week one of operation- purge and organize

3. Also, I totally cracked up at column-ectomy. Sounds painful.

4. Mrs. Foot says:

Gooooorgeous!

I can’t wait for the source post for this :) I need to get my hands on that chandy and those buffet lamps! And that rug is perfect. Great choice!
    Mrs. Foot´s last blog post post ..Green product reviews

5. kathy says:

looks great! i agree with the others – the rug is fabulous!

6. Ugh I *love* that rug! It looks FANTASTIC! Can I hire y’all to come to my house to “flip” it?
    Kristina @ The Purple Pea´s last blog post post ..Knock Knock

7. Joan says:

Looks totally fabulous!
    1) I really like the light/shadows cast by your table lamps.
    2) I like how the lamps add height and visual interest but not weight by having translucent bases.
    3) I like how the lamps’ shades echo the same shape as the chandelier, visually integrating the large spaces.
    Wonderful job, Liz and Jason!

Thanks, Joan! We were definitely trying to tie the spaces together through the lighting, so how fun that you noticed! :)

8. Definitely think you’re right on to make the formal living room a big dining room — much, much more useful! I think I’d turn that little nook into a library!
    Averill (Odi et Amo)´s last blog post post ..Win a Binth Baby Book!

9. I love this room. The lighting is wonderful and I am a sucker for a bay window. I agree with Kristina I need you at my house.

10. Awww! I LOVE the furnishings and decor you chose. They are perfect for the season (winter, heading into spring) and just make the whole room feel clean and open. Beautiful!
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post post ..Dining Room Reveal

11. Kay says:

Wow…love this! You really have a gift! Totally transforming with minimal effort.

12. Jenna says:

Wow, I am so impressed–the new room is so classy, simple, minimalist, clean, gorgeous . . . I’m drooling over here!

13. Nicole says:

Another fabulous room! I love how you took the columns out of the rooms; it really brought the room into this decade :) I also noticed that you removed the half wall by the door and made the opening to the room larger. Great idea!

What do I think? GORGEOUS is what I think! Love, love, love it all. The lamps are so pretty and that rug is awesome. Love the clean window too. ;-)

15. Sharon says:

Oh my goodness ,this has to be the most inspriring makeover ever ,I am trying to decide if I should buy an old house I have my heart set on and it needs something like exactly what you have done ,mine is an old P&O style house ,I did do a blog about it and if you have a spare moment I would definitley love to hear your input.

I have been reading you blog quitely ever since I stumled across it in a party called How I met my house ,I fell for your blog and your homes big time.
    Looking forward to more flipping stories soon.

~Sharon~
    Sharon´s last blog post post ..After The Rain a Sunny Sydney Saturday morning

16. Oona says:

I love the color of the flooring you chose, it looks amazing with all that sunshine streaming in! The rug is to. die. for – another great choice.

17. I lvoe those floors. It’s amazing how birght and airy it looks. You really opened it up with great color choices. And good riddance to those awkward columns.
    Irene Robertson´s last blog post post ..We Picked a Color – FINALLY!!!