The Flip: The Jack ‘n Jill Bathroom, Then & Now

And the before and after tour of the flip continues!  (These links will take you to tours of the great room and dining room.)

There are 3 full bathrooms in this house – the one that you’re going to see in this post is pretty important as it adjoins two of the bedrooms (a.k.a. jack ‘n jill bath) and also serves as the guest bathroom for the house.

Here’s how the jack ‘n jill bathroom turned out after we spiffed it up with a smorgasbord of travertine and a fancy chevron patterned tile floor:

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

And here’s how the jack ‘n jill bathroom used to look:

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

Ah, a 1970s classic.  Even though the existing tile was in great shape, it was avocado green and therefore had to go.  The wallpaper, counter top, sliding shower door and existing fixtures also got the boot.  In their place came crisp white subway tile, mexican noce travertine, accents in a glass and marble mosaic tile, and new fixtures including a dual flush toilet.  We also decided to have the demo guys remove the doorway/wall that separated the vanity from the shower/toilet area to get rid of that choppy feeling.

And now it’s time for the gratuitous “after” shots.  :)

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

( Recognize this tile?  That’s right, it’s extra tile left over from the glass and marble backsplash we did at the first flip! )

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

( These built-ins were originally a cabinet with doors, etc. – but it was accidentally torn out during demo.  Whoops!  When it was re-built, we decided that open shelving was the way to go – I envision lots of baskets and rolled towels. )

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

( My next house will have a chevron patterned tile floor like this one – it makes me swoon every time I see it!!  Three cheers for our tile guy, he did a fab job. )

The Flip: The Bathrooms, Then & Now

That’s all, folks!  Did this before and after live up to your expectations?

Comments

1. Freaking amazing!
    Jacqueline Presley´s last blog post post ..Life in 1-082 Sq Ft- Office Space

2. Beautiful (of course). The chevron tile pattern is lovely and unexpected. I also love the shower tile – gorgeous glass. I’m drooling.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..You musts

3. Jenn says:

I LOVE it! The chevron pattern is to-die-for. Can you give us an idea of the difference in cost of a regular tile installation vs. the chevron pattern? It must have been a million cuts for your tile guy…

All I can say is that our tile guy must have been feeling EXTREMELY generous when he quoted us for the extra labor it would take to do all those cuts. He charged us . . . . wait for it . . . 125 bucks extra. WHAT?!?!? I still can’t believe our good luck, although I think it was a total fluke – we’ll never get a deal like that again. Although now that I think about it that comes out to a little less than $2 extra per foot, which actually sounds about right. Hmm, anyone else want to weigh in on this?

4. Jennie says:

Fantastic redo! You’ve inspired me as I have white cabinets and lots of white tile.
    Jennie´s last blog post post ..WELCOME French Country- Fleur de lis- Banner- Garland- Sign-

You’ve got such a great jumping off point! I don’t think there’s any way to go wrong with white tile and white cabinets. Hope you’ll fill us in on how you gussy up your bathroom!

5. Wordfiend says:

O. M. G. I absolutely want to move in. Now.
    Wordfiend´s last blog post post ..What was I just saying

6. Lisa says:

I love the chevron pattern!
    Lisa´s last blog post post ..soooo over winter

7. Love the before and afters! This house is gorgeous, you did a great job.
    KellyMichelle´s last blog post post ..Can you keep a secret

8. Erin says:

Love it! Do tell how you refinished the vanity (please!!). I am in the process of painting mine white and could use some pointers!

I wish I could take credit for how great the vanity looks, but our painters get all the glory! They sanded and sprayed the vanity, and they also did another little trick that I’ll tell you about later – it made a huge difference in updating the vanity!

9. BeeeeaUtiful! I wouldn’t have even thought to change some of the things you did (i.e. widening doorway/removing the door), but those changes are what took the room to the next level! Great job – LOVE this flip!
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post post ..Before and After- The Little Yellow Bungalow

For some reason that door drove me totally nuts! The vanity was the only thing in the first room and I couldn’t imagine someone visiting the bathroom just to wash their hands, so the door separating the two spaces seemed unnecessary. So out it went!! :)

10. Sharon says:

So fresh and tasteful ,love the way the floor is tiled!
    Sharon´s last blog post post ..What a Difference 3 Years Makes

11. Mrs. Foot says:

Gorgeous! I cannot get over those floors. And I love the idea of open shelving in the bathroom. Great job!
    Mrs. Foot´s last blog post post ..BUH-BYE CAR LOAN

12. Wow! It’s so bright and beautiful! I love a bathroom with double sinks.
    Irene @ OurUglyHome´s last blog post post ..We Picked a Color – FINALLY!!!

13. That turned out fantastic! I am jumping on the loving the floor bandwagon. This is a great twist on all the chevron designs out there. You have a really great eye. Thanks for stopping by my blog. The stencil project was a little time consuming, but after seeing your projects I know you could definitely tackle it!

WOW!! the bathroom looks beyond amazing!! love it
    Katrina´s last blog post post ..CLH on the Nate Berkus Show! Today!

15. Averill says:

That floor is TO DIE FOR. Seriously. I too will have it in my next home (or maybe this one…someday).
    Averill´s last blog post post ..Nursery- Quick Midweek Update

16. Wow you all did an excellent job. This bathroom looks beautiful.

I can’t get over the floor. I WANT it so bad. My next house, I’m totally copy-catting you!!! Love all that you’ve done Liz. Hope it’s generating lots and lots of traffic and that one perfect offer!!!

18. Annie says:

This (like all of your other “before and afters”) is amazing! I LOVE the subway tiles in the shower and the chevron floor. (I’m a sucker for awesome tile-work.)

It’s too bad that the cabinet doors were accidentally torn off, though. I say that from the standpoint of practicality, not aesthetics: because of the “aerosol effect” (http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1839) that happens when toilet flushing occurs, I wouldn’t want to store my clean towels in lidless baskets situated across from the toilet. Though I like the look of open shelving better than closed cabinets, if I was a potential buyer, I’d be disappointed that those shelves didn’t have doors.