The Flip: How to Save Money Updating Your Cabinet Doors

When we bought the flip, we were thrilled that the existing cabinetry was in great shape – but unfortunately, the cabinet doors with arched details were not our style.  And they were all over the house.

The Flip: How to Save Money Updating Your Cabinet Doors

We knew that we would be changing the layout of the kitchen and master bathroom so those cabinets would be removed, but what about the cabinetry in the jack ‘n jill bathroom and the bathroom that adjoins the fourth bedroom?  We wanted to save it since it was in such good condition, but the arched doors definitely didn’t go with our new streamlined design scheme.

Luckily, it turns out that the cabinet doors could be saved!  Here’s how the cabinets look in the third bathroom after they were refurbished:

The Flip: How to Save Money Updating Your Cabinet Doors

We originally thought that the arched detail was a raised panel that was part of the cabinet front – but our contractor figured out that it was actually an applied molding that was just glued to the front of the cabinet.  So it could be pried right off!

The Flip: How to Save Money Updating Your Cabinet Doors

Our painters went to town with their putty knives to pry off the arched detail, and then filled in any holes or rough spots with wood putty – then they just sanded, primed and painted like usual.   (Note – the arched detail on the cabinet door on the built-in desk in the fourth bedroom actually was part of the cabinet door so it couldn’t be pried off.  We replaced that door, along with the doors on the bookcases in the great room so they would match the new kitchen cabinets.)

The Flip: How to Save Money Updating Your Cabinet Doors

Great trick, right?

Comments

1. Leila says:

Such a smart, money saving solution!
    Leila´s last blog post post ..blog love awww shucks

2. Kate says:

Wow! That is a great trick!

3. Jen Rames says:

Very smart Liz!! Have a great weekend.
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..Homemade Tomatillo Salsa and Chorizo Tacos – Thank You Rick Bayless!

Wowzers – that is a great tip! One I’ll be sure to store away should I ever buy a house with seemingly unfixable cabinet doors – I’ll pull this ‘liz trick’ out of the bag and super impress Matt with it! Hehehe!

Totally off subject – I think I’m going to try to take pix of my outfits next week a la Liz….and I’m going to send my peeps over to your blog to see what it’s all about. Do you care which week I link up to?!

Ooh Christy, how fun – can’t wait to see your pics! No preference at all on which post – surprise me. :)

5. Genius. They look great.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..Purge it- purge it good

6. Joan says:

It really is amazing what a difference the altered doors and changed hardware made! Who would have ever thought to try to pry the nasty arches off the front? You are a true fox, because it looks terrific! IF is ever redo another house, I am going to beg/bribe you and Jason to provide ideas and inspiration. Your combined skills are totally amazing!!!

7. Liz – I’m totally loving your site. In fact, looking at what you did with your flip in just a few months is a good source of get-your-ass-in-gear motivation while I’m trying to finish of the interior of our addition.

Question: What is that marble (granite?) that I see on your bathroom countertops. I think I’ve been looking for something like that for my kitchen. Or one of my bathrooms. (and I totally apologize if you’ve answered this in previous posts… I’m working backward through your site)
    kitliz @ DIYdiva´s last blog post post ..Mouse Tracks

I have LOVED following your DIY extravaganza – so inspiring, and it’s going to be so gorgeous!

The bathroom counter tops are polished Mexican Noce travertine that we got as remnants from a fabricator. They have some great movement in them! (Another one that looks similar is English Walnut travertine). Hope that helps. :)