The Flip: The Master Bathroom, Then & Now

We’re nearing the end of our tour of the flip!  I must admit, I’m a little sad.  :)

So far we’ve seen the great room (staging sources here), the dining room (staging sources here), the jack ‘n jill bathroom, the laundry room and the master bedroom (staging sources here) – so of course it’s time for the master bathroom!!

The Flip: The Master Bathroom, Then & Now

When we bought the house we could tell that the master bathroom had lots of potential since it was pretty large, but the layout was terrible and incredibly choppy.  The space was split into 6 rooms!!

The Flip: The Master Bathroom, Then & Now

You can see the original layout of the master bathroom in the floor plan below – 3 closets, a “wet room” with the shower/tub and toilet, a room with the sinks, and another room with a makeup vanity.  Talk about choppy!

The Flip's Floor Plan

To take full advantage of the footprint of the master bathroom, all of the walls had to come out (except the shell of the 2 connected closets, which were combined into 1).  The makeup vanity turned into another closet, and the original third closet turned into a huge walk-in shower!  (See how we came up with the new layout here).

Take a look for yourself at how it all turned out.

The Flip: The Master Bathroom, Then & Now/p>

The Flip: The Master Bathroom, Then & Now

After the great room, I’m most envious of this bathroom (in particular the jetted tub).  What are your favorite features?

Comments

1. KT says:

Gorgeous! My favorites would have to be that mosaic tile and the tub…I can see lots of long soaks with candles and a book/magazine in that tub–or at least that’s what I’d do if I had one :)
    KT´s last blog post post ..Remember When Wednesday- Now and Then- Wedding Style

Me too! We don’t have a tub in our current master bathroom and at the time we were renovating I couldn’t imagine wanting one. Fast forward 2 years and I would kill for one!

2. Janis says:

I love the way you tucked away that extra electrical outlet, out of sight but just where it’s needed!

3. Liz - It's Great To Be Home says:

Great eye, Janis!! We did the same thing at our house (in my makeup area) and it’s perfect for your blowdryer, etc. and so much less intrusive than an outlet on the backsplash. Yay for hidden outlets! :)

4. Erin says:

I love it. What I love about is it’s neutral-ness (not a word, but it should be). This isn’t a bathroom I would design for myself because I think it’s a little too neutral for me personally, but it is beautiful and totally inoffensive and that’s perfect for resale.

I am really liking the tub deck because I’m thinking about doing a mosiac tile counter in the downstairs bathroom and that gives me an idea of how that would look.
    Erin´s last blog post post ..They do exist- they really do!

You’re right, we were totally thinking of resale with the neutral-ness of this bathroom – hopefully we’ve given the future homeowners a good base that they can spice up if they feel like it (or leave everything neutral if that’s their bag). Our own bathroom has a shower done entirely in blue glass tile, so I hear you on wanting a little color! :)

Absolutely divine. This could have been one of Candice’s designs! My favorite is also the most practical – the recesses in the shower to hold shampoo and soap! We don’t have those in either of ours and it drives me batty! :)

6. kathy says:

fabulous. my favorite part is definitely the glass and marble mosaic. stunning!

7. Irene says:

I love the floor tile. It’s so warm and inviting.

8. Nicole says:

BEAUTIFUL! I would kill to live in one of your flips!
    Nicole´s last blog post post ..more growth

9. Lisa says:

I’m still partial to the floor tile. And that walk-in shower looks delightful.
    Lisa´s last blog post post ..Sofas

10. Nicole Marie says:

The shower, oh the shower! It’s so spacious and beautiful! I would LOVE a shower like that! Beautiful job!

Thanks, Nicole Marie! The shower is really even bigger than it looks in some of the pictures because it extends about 2 feet behind that closet – you could have a party in there! :)

11. I’m obsessed with that tile. You are a tile MASTER, the small mosaic tile is perfection. What a showstopper.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..A Seussical shower for thing one

Oooh, a master?!? I will take it!! :) I’m in love with the mosaic tile, I want to put it everywhere – somebody stop me. ;)

12. Nice wash basin, beautiful wall colors and good design.

Thank you for ost.
    Renovations Raleigh NC´s last blog post post ..Your Most Common Kitchen Remodeling Qs – Answered

13. Lauren says:

oh wow. I want this bathroom. My current bathroom is about the size of that shower. :) it’s really beautiful Liz.
    Lauren´s last blog post post ..Whos Tweeting from the Alt Design Summit

14. lisaroy says:

wow it looks great! I’m loving the mosaic tiles and the niches for shampoos!
    thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment on my kitchen makeover! now I’ve found your blog and look forward to going through it post by post :)
    lisaroy´s last blog post post .. happy weekend!

15. julie says:

I love it; especially the tile! The entire house is just gorgeous. I’m in love with the kitchen/great room. The staging is perfect. Would you mind sharing your paint colors for the walls and the kitchen cabinets? You did an amazing job!

~julie

I will definitely share the paint colors! I’ve gotten some other questions about it so I think I’ll do a quick post later this week. :)

16. Averill says:

Really gorgeous Liz. Love the mix of materials you used in the shower, floor, counters, etc. Honestly, you’re getting SO good at this.
    Averill´s last blog post post ..Object of Desire

17. The layout isn’t completely terrible, it’s not noticeable anymore due to the beauty of the bathroom and other parts :)

We actually did a big switcheroo to the layout that made it function (and look) a lot better for today’s living – moving the shower, tub, knocking down walls, etc. :)

18. Feinmann says:

Great idea to knock down some of the walls and take advantage of the space. An awkward layout is just a waste of potential. It looks very luxurious and inviting, great bonuses for the master bathroom!