The Flip: The Exterior, Then & Now

After I showed you guys all the before and afters of the inside of the flip, I realized that I never gave you a proper before and after of the exterior!

Here’s how it looks now . . .

The Flip: Day 96

. . . and here’s how it looked when we bought it at the end of September:

The Flip - Exterior

The very first thing we did was have the ginormous dead tree cut down, and we also got new shutters and a fab new oak front door – the swirls and curls on the original door just didn’t fit in with the clean lines we were going for with this house (and I’m very jealous of the new door, since our front door is almost identical to the old door that got the boot).

The Flip: New Front Door

Along with new hardware and lighting, the old metal post was replaced with a stained wood post, and the front porch (which was kind of an icky aggregate) was tiled with some sleek new slate.

The Flip: The Exterior, Then & Now

The Flip: Ch-Ch-Changes

The Flip: The Exterior, Then & Now

The Flip: The Exterior, Then & Now

I always kind of lose steam when it comes to the exterior (I’m definitely an interior gal), but I think the little changes made a big difference in the curb appeal of the flip and took this house out of the 70s and into this decade.  What do you think?

P.S.  This is my 400th post!  Yowzers!

P.P.S.  You may have noticed that I’m tweaking the look of the blog a bit – I still have a few more tweaks, but what do you think so far?

Comments

1. Samantha says:

I love love love the front door! I know you have shown it before, but seriously, it looks great! I honestly think if I saw that in the store I would turn my nose up at it thinking it was too 70’s, but it’s not at all! It looks great and the curb appeal is amazing now!
    Samantha´s last blog post post ..Tutorial- How To Weld

Thanks so much, Samantha! This was our first time shopping for a front door and I definitely had a case of sticker shock – we were thrilled to find this one on close out, and luckily it wound up being just what we needed! :)

2. nancyo says:

nice changes!

What happened to the grass though?

Ha, great question! Even though we’re in Texas the grass does go dormant in the winter – so it’s not dead, just “resting.” :) Luckily every other yard in town has grass that looks just like it, and it will be green again in the spring!

3. I love the new door! And the tiled porch makes a huge difference, as does darkening the shutters. I think while I was at it I would have cut down the other tree too, since it was obviously planted WAY too close to the house. A small decorative tree would have been great there, as well as something more substantial in front of the windows. But landscaping is expensive and after seeing all the great changes you made to to the inside, I wouldn’t have sacrificed any of them to add more budget to the outside.

How is showing it going? What kind of comments are you hearing from people who view it?
    Erin @ The Impatient Gardener´s last blog post post ..Gallery wall love

We’ve gotten really great feedback so far! There aren’t a ton of renovated houses in this neighborhood, so they’re kind of a hot ticket. We’ve had great turnouts to our open houses (held each Sunday, even with some icky winter weather) and a good amount of showings. Hopefully we’ll be moving on to the next project soon. :)

4. Jen Rames says:

It looks great! I love the door and the big curved window in the front. I love the new header on your website too.
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna Rolls

5. Gorgeous, that’s all I can say. I love the door you chose and the entry tile is beautiful. Great work. You are just awesome.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..Takin this show on the road

6. Love the door! Also, just found your blog and love it!

7. Becca says:

I think the changes from the original state are terrific! The dead tree just dominated the whole area, and the front door and porch were so dreary and dated. You make fabulous changes! I always like all the pictures! I love your new header, but miss your picture beside it.

8. I like the new header! I made some changes recently to my page as well. Even sites need makeovers!

9. I love what an impact the replacement of the metal post for a wood one makes. It really looks great. Love the wood doors and windows too. I’m definitely an interior girl as well but it’s encouraging to see the impact of good curb appeal.

Lauren from http://www.charlesandhudson.com

10. Joi says:

I love it all! Love the new blog layout A LOT, and I love that house. It is gorgeous now that you guys got your hands on it!
    Joi´s last blog post post ..DIY Decor- Wedding Reception Style

Thanks, Joi! And I love the layout, too – a crappy layout is my number 1 pet peeve in a house!

11. I love that front door! Your blog is looking good too :-)
    pk @ Room Remix´s last blog post post ..Banquettes and Breakfast Nooks

You and your husband did an amazing job on the Flip – inside and out!! The new front door is perfect

13. Lauren says:

Really like the front door – never would have thought they make much difference….cos it’s just a door, right? But love the for sale sign best – congrats on completion!!!
    Lauren´s last blog post post ..Small renovation- big crazy