February Blog Party: If I won a free makeover for one room in my home, I would…

This is a harder challenge than I thought!!  Even though I absolutely love our home, I’m one of those people that constantly wants to change something (there are just too many cool ideas and projects out there!).  Are you like that?

My thoughts kept bouncing from room to room, and I finally settled on our entryway (remember when we talked about it here?) – it’s really the only room in our house that has been virtually untouched since the day we moved in over two years ago.  That’s crazy, right?

The bottom line is that I just can’t figure out what to do with it.  Each of the four walls has a ginormous doorway in it so I’m left without any real wall space to work with.  See what I mean?

Our Entryway

( Looking in from the den – Jason’s office is on the left. )

Our Entryway

( Looking in from the den – the dining room is on the right. )

But since I’m now the lucky recipient of this imaginary makeover, I’m going to solve that problem!

Here’s the plan:

1. Give myself a wall to work with.  See that doorway to the dining room in the photo above?  Consider it gone.  We have another access point through the kitchen, so my plan is to pop off the trim around the doorway, frame out a wall, add some drywall and new baseboards and call it a day.  Then I’ll have a wall and we can always easily take it down if we need to because the floors won’t have been damaged.
  2. Add some wallpaper.  I don’t know why but I have been obsessed with the idea of adding wallpaper somewhere in our home (but the realtor in me screams, “Noooo, don’t do it!!).  Some days I want to add grasscloth to the vaulted ceiling in the den, other days I’m itching for something patterned down the hallway.  I think it’s the texture that I’m longing for.
  3. Switch out the light fixture.  This has been on the “someday I’d like to” list for quite awhile.  We added the fixtures in the entryway and dining room when we renovated, but I’m not a fan of them – I want something with more pizazz!
  4. Finish things off with a fabulous dresser and goodies on the wall.  I think that one’s pretty self-explanatory.  :)

With those criteria in mind, if I won a free room makeover for one room in my home, I would . . .

Make my entryway look like this:

Blog Party: If I won a free room makeover . . .

Or this:

Blog Party: If I won a free room makeover . . .

Or maybe this!

Blog Party: If I won a free room makeover...

Which would you choose?

And I can’t wait to see all of your posts, I’m dying with curiosity!

Here’s all you need to do to join the party:

(1) Just click on the button below that looks like this Add Your Link and then type in the permalink to your specific blog post (like www.itsgreattobehome.net/blog-party), instead of just your blog address.  You may have to copy and paste your url using your keyboard instead of your mouse, or you can type it in.

(2) I’d love it if you’d include the blog party button (below) and a link back to this post somewhere in your post so that your readers can get in on the fun!

finish this sentence

(3) Visit the other peeps’ links to check out their posts!

* If you have trouble linking up, let me know and I’ll link up your post for you!

The party will be open for a week, so don’t worry if you don’t have a post ready today – you can link up later.  And if there’s a topic you’d like to suggest for upcoming “Finish this sentence” blog parties, let me know in the comments!

Comments

Ooh I love your ideas! I’d go for a combo – that pretty wallpaper in the 3rd above the plate rail, the beach art from the second, and then everything else from the first! :) Are you guys seriously going to put up a wall?! That’s a big job – but of course, if anyone can handle it, you can!

Thanks so much for hosting this blog party! It’s so much fun!

I think I might like your combination of the 3 the best! As for putting up the wall, it’s something that I would LOVE to do but I don’t think it will actually happen because I have too many reservations about it. (1) Getting the hubs on board, (2) resale – what if other peeps don’t like it, etc. But I like to dream about it!

2. Nicole says:

Very fun, Liz! And I liked the inspiration for a post.

Couldn’t figure out how to post your button but was still able to backlink the post.

3. Beautiful inspiration images. Can I play devil’s advocate for a moment though? I’m wondering how adding the wall will effect the natural light to this area. You get such nice light from the dining room, will the new plan allow for enough light for your taste?
    karen@strictlysimplestyle´s last blog post post ..Simple Valentines Day Sweets for Your Sweeties

You’re right, that’s definitely something to think about! There would still be natural light from the sidelights on either side of the door, and from Jason’s office, but the dining room was a huge source of light for the space. I’ve wondered most if the dining room would feel too confined with the wall up. But then again, we NEVER use the dining room anyway!

4. Nice idea. Thanks for posting this article. I love reading your blog because you inspire me with your work. I got many ideas in remodeling my house. Keep blogging articles related to this. You’ve done a great job. Keep it up!

5. Jen Rames says:

Ok, now I get it! :)

6. rachel g says:

Liz, please don’t put a wall up! If I were you I’d lay down a gorgeous colorful rug, add a round pedestal table topped with fresh flowers or a pot of greenery centered under a fabulous chandelier. Now that could be the statement entryway you’re looking for! Good luck!

Ha, don’t worry it probably won’t happen! :) I would love to add a table or something like that but there simply isn’t room – you would walk right into it. But the fabulous chandelier? That I can do!

• rachel g says:

Have you thought about adding wallpaper or stenciling the ceiling? That could look cool! Can’t wait to see what you do with the space!

• christy says:

She has! She even started a stenciling project back in the day…didn’t you?! :)

I did start stenciling it, but it turned out to be ill-fated. Sad, I know! I was using a tiny homemade stencil and it just wasn’t working for me. However, I have not lost the will to stencil!! I may try to tackle it again. :)

• rachel g says:

Oh no! Well props for trying! I would imagine stenciling a ceiling would be extremely hard! My neck aches thinking about it :).

7. I think it’s good to be examining your home for improvement, even when it looks beautiful and finished as yours does. I’m excited to see how it turns out!

8. katie t says:

such a fun idea to put this all together! i’ll think about it and come back….

9. Chandra says:

I am awarding you the Versatile Blogger Award. Check out my blog for instructions.

10. Holiday says:

Hi, I just repainted my guest room I’d love to share my progress. And I feel like it’s still kind of sad, so I’d love any advice from you folks – like should I just go nuts with the portrait wall, new light fixture, texture of some kind…? I’d love help linking to:

Thanks!
    Holiday´s last blog post post ..Wanna sleep over

11. What a beautiful entry – but yes, wow, no space for a table. Love your boards, especially the second one!

But I think with a great rug, and yes that great dark grasscloth wallpaper and a great chandelier, that space would look finished!

12. jen says:

What about a round table in the centre of the hallway? With a sculptural fixture above? The wall thing scares me because of sacrificng natural light.
    jen´s last blog post post ..Don’t hate the sinner- hate the sin…

If we could fit one we definitely would! Unfortunately you would smack right into a table the second you walk in the front door. :(

13. Aimee says:

Great idea to just fee associate/dream of what you would do if you could. Sometimes you can get the very best ideas ever. Also, to make the decision of what you would like is a huge step in the right direction.
    Maybe there is a need for a blank-ish canvas to separate the three rooms that have a lot going on. I’ve been known to “audition” wallpaper by using double stick tape. Not perfect, but with the right pattern, it can work. I like your “what if” ideas. Sometimes I get in such a mental rut. Love your blog!

14. I think I like the first with the gallery wall best. But, they are all great.

(Sorry I didn’t link up this week. Hexagon tile had us on our knees. Literally. And at one point on Thursday, I found Ryan curled in the fetal position. Blogging with the wayside.)
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..Renovation progress report – week 27

Oh, that sounds pitiful!! But I hope that means you got in the tile you wanted! :)

15. We did! Yay!

16. I LOVE the 1st inspiration board so much! that would look so absolutely beautiful.
    laurenjanelle´s last blog post post ..Toughweld Giveaway- Metabo Hammer Drill