A High Gloss Knock Off

If you had a chance to read the debut issue of the online magazine High Gloss, then this image must have caught your eye:

Picture 3

Page 64 of the magazine is dominated by this glorious guest room in Jamie Meares‘ home.  I could go on and on about all of the elements that I love in this space, but what really does it for me is that bold, striking artwork.  I’m kind of obsessed with it!

So, when I had an empty spot in my gallery wall I knew that I wanted to try to recreate that awesome painting.  My attempt doesn’t quite live up to the original but it was lots of fun to paint something again and I think the result is funky and lively, and I can’t wait to break out the paint brushes again!

High Gloss Knock Off

If you’d like to have a little fun this weekend and try your hand at knocking off this abstract painting, here’s how to do it:

(1) Assemble your supplies:

• artist canvas (I got a 2 pack of 16 x 20 canvases from Michael’s for about $6)
  • acrylic paints in your choice of colors
  • medium-sized artist paint brush (may want to include one that comes to a point for those fine detail areas)
  • 1 piece of chalk
  • spray paint (this will be your base color)

(2) Spray paint your canvas. I know true artists will cringe if they read this, but I just spray painted my canvas with flat black paint as the base for my painting because it was quick and easy.  I chose black so that the “frame” (the sides of the canvas) would be black like the majority of the frames in my gallery wall.  (Also, if I’m being totally honest, I originally had another plan for this canvas where I wanted the background of the artwork to be black, but that project didn’t work out.)

A High Gloss Knock Off

(3) Sketch your design using chalk. I thought it was easier to sketch out the design using chalk (and using the original painting as a loose guide) than it would have been to free-hand with paint.  After I drew the lines, I wiped off the excess chalk (going in the same direction as the chalk line) with a thin towel.  (Ha, if you look closely you can see remnants of my original plans for the canvas!  It was terrible!)

A High Gloss Knock Off

(4) Blend your paints and start painting! This is the fun part.  There’s something relaxing about just coloring between the lines, don’t you think?  Be sure to experiment with blending colors and shades!

A High Gloss Knock Off

(5) Go in for a second coat. Chances are that you’ll need at least 2 coats of each color paint to fully cover the canvas.  This is your chance to tweak the paint colors if they aren’t really looking how you want them to.

A High Gloss Knock Off

(6)  Pat yourself on the back. Isn’t it fun to create something?  Even if it isn’t perfect (mine certainly wasn’t!) it’s still a piece of art that is so cool to hang in your home.  There’s nothing better than getting to say “I made that” when someone asks about your painting.

A High Gloss Knock Off

(7) Get that sucker on the wall! Enjoy your artwork and start planning your next piece!

Our Bold Gallery Wall - Finished!!

What types of artwork have you created for your home?  Feeling the urge to break out the paints this weekend?

First image via High Gloss.

Comments

So, so cool. You did a great job! If I had any spare wall space I would totally try something like this- and use that same inspiration piece. What a gorgeous guest room that is, isn’t it?!

PS – my mom isn’t a commenter, but she clicked through to your blog this morning and just ooh’ed and aah’ed over your gallery wall too! She loves the large painting from France too and all the color!

Have a great weekend Liz!

2. Ah, I was wondering about this painting! I really love it – it caught my eye as soon as I saw your first post about your gallery wall grouping. Quite cool that you did a knock-off version, it looks fabulous! It’s perfect for your grouping, and I think you did a great job on it!

And yes, I’ve been meaning to break out the paint brushes for something other than walls, trim, doors, and furniture, for awhile now!

~Chelsea
    Chelsea@ThisFreshFossil´s last blog post post ..Freebie Friday- Quatrefoil Pattern

3. I love it and am definitely going to have to try something similar soon! If the good weather here holds (and it’s supposed to) I have some spray painting of some thrift store finds to do this weekend (an owl cookie jar and an owl figurine are among the treasures) :)

Have a great weekend!
    KT @ KT’s Refinishing School´s last blog post post ..Pardon the Interruption

4. Jen Rames says:

Liz, you are so smart! I would never really think to do anything like that myself. Next time I see a fairly simple inspiration I am going to go for it! :)
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..Potato Cheese Soup

5. Hi! I couldn’t WAIT to comment because my nephew’s wife Keila painted that picture! She works with Jamie at Furbish. I can’t wait to show her that she inspired you. :)

That is so cool!!!! She has such talent, I’m in awe of that painting. Please tell her that I think she’s awesome and that I hope she starts selling her stuff! After that High Gloss feature I’m sure it would get snapped up in a hurry!

6. So glad to read your tutorial, and hope it encourages us all to DIY art. I tweeted this.

7. Mrs. Foot says:

How had I not heard about High Gloss? Thanks for introducing us :)

And this tutorial is awesome. I never took an art class so I feel like I missed out, but you make it seem so doable. May just need to try!

8. Aimee says:

This is such a cool project! Obviously it can work with any color scheme. I may use big sheets of colored art paper and glue them to the black background so that a black border shows. Not only do I love the project, but also it is a spring-board to various renditions. Love this blog!

9. Nikki says:

Great job! When I saw the one on High Gloss I thought about a knock off, when I saw yours I knew for sure I needed to do this. I have the supplies, and a spot for it, I just need to get to it.

10. jessica says:

Def. going to try this, great job!

11. This looks great. Great job making it come to life in a new way. I made some ‘art’ from canvases in our upstairs hallway to tie in the curtains and wall color. I may have to reimagine them at the new house. That is the great thing about canvases, you can always paint over them and start again.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..I should buy a lottery ticket

12. I think it’s a really good recreation. It looks great on that beautiful gallery wall of yours.

13. Carmel says:

I just found your blog! I love it! Your gallery wall looks amazing – thanks for this tutorial!

14. I think you did a great job! I just about two weeks ago bought some canvases and paint and brushes and I want to start painting. You have me all fired up that I need to get started now! :)

15. Hi Liz, Thanks for the post. I really like the design that you made. Great tutorial.

Keep the post coming….
    maecel

16. Deb says:

ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think we must have been separated at birth because I had the same reaction when I saw the painting in High Gloss’ magazine. I took a screen shot of the painting wondering how was I ever going to recreate it…aside from an art class in high school I have never done any painting. Then I found out about your blog while on ikeahackers. So thanks so much for the great tips. I only hope that my painting looks half as good as yours. :)

I bet it will be awesome!! That painting in HG was just awesome, I wanted it for myself! :)