I’m a Commitment-Phobe

I’m a big fan of monogamy when it comes to my love life (yay marriage) . . . but it turns out I’m not quite so ready to commit when it comes to picking fabric to slipcover the new chairs for our breakfast room.

Yes, I just spilled a bunch of info right there.  New chairs.  For the breakfast room.  Getting slipcovered.  We also got a new breakfast room table.  Will the surprises ever stop?!?

Anyway, back to all the fabric choices which are frightening the serial monogamist out of me.  You see, it’s expensive.  Maybe not one yard at a time, but when you need 10-12 yards it adds up quick.  And if I’m going to bust out a sewing machine I want the end result to be stellar.  I want to LOVE it.

So I’ve scoured the fabric stores.  And internet sources.  And contemplated cutting up tablecloths, duvets, and everything in between.  And I’ve gotten nowhere.  Because I’m cheap.  And afraid of making a mistake. And because I want to LOVE it.

Goodness.  Maybe I should just bite the bullet and pick something already?

P.S.  I think this post is proof that I should not write posts when I’m tired!

Comments

You had great luck with that post showing us all the different options for your dining room – when you ended up with the peacock fabric, right? Why not do another post like that? Maybe it would help you to see your options laid out like that in front of you, and then getting a vote from your peeps! :)

2. Oh Liz, you and I are in the same boat. I’ve been looking for yards and yards of gorgeous but not expensive fabric for SEVEN drapery panels, and I’ve also gotten nowhere! The perfect one is right around the corner though, so just keep looking! (And don’t waste all that time and energy on something that you don’t LOVE, cause if you’re like me you’ll just end up doing it over.) :)
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post post ..Bathroom Lighting Fail

3. LeeAnn says:

I feel your pain. For some odd reason I feel that the decision I make now I have to live with for my lifetime! I found that easy when choosing a husband, but not the fabric on my sofa! This weekend I am putting the final touches on sewing my bedroom curtains. I think I looked for fabric for over a year before I finally fell in love with a linen-like fabric at JoAnn’s of all places. But it was a hassle getting enough yardage. At least the store manager called all the surrounding stores for me to find what I needed and I just had to pay a slight surcharge to have it shipped to the store. My best advise is to take your time, if you have it. Always keep a note in your wallet with how much yardage you need, because you never know when you’ll come across a great deal!

I’m the same way, I feel like if I pay for something then I have to own it forever!! Wow, I’m impressed with your determination to wait for something you love for so long! I wanted to have mine finished two weeks from now before my birthday, but I’m thinking it’s not going to happen.

4. rachel g says:

I know exactly how you feel! When I’m out and about looking for fabrics, pillows, rugs, accessories, etc I always carry my camera with me with shots of the room. It really helps me visualize when I’m at the store and I can narrow down items much easier by glancing at the room photo and picturing the object/fabric in it. Good luck! I’m sure you’ll end up with something you love!

5. Totally understand. Picking fabric is not for the fain of heart. I check out 6 fabrics at joAnn’s and I didn’t pick a one of them to recover some settees. I did decide on an Ikea fabric luckily it was cheap, but I have been looking for a fabric for 6 years! Yes, 6 years! So the fact I finally picked one is a miracle in it self.

6. Aimee says:

Picking a fabric is really difficult and SCARY! What about buying just a half yard and putting it on your chair? Are these new babies to be covered all over with fabric, or just the seats?

7. nikki says:

Fabric, is hard. These are so many pretty choices, and if you are like me, you like them all, so it’s hard to make a commitment. I totally get it.
    nikki´s last blog post post ..Dont Step on Your Kid

8. Jen Rames says:

I can’t wait to see what you pick!
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..San Antonio Greenway Trails

9. Lila Ferraro says:

I can totally relate. Sometimes I get stuck on so many options but, the problem is that I GENUINELY love them all! Good luck committing!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

10. new follower… found you on another blog roll. I find the best blogs by scrolling through blog rolls.
    would love a visit and follow if you can, laura
    laura@imnotatrophywife.com´s last blog post post ..Meet Me on Monday