Fabric Choices for the Breakfast Room – Help!

Okay, after my mini-meltdown I have narrowed down the fabric choices for the slipcovered chairs in the breakfast room.  Whew!!

It was tough, but after taking into account price, pattern, colors, and my hubby’s opinion (no florals – boo), these are the four finalists!

Fabric Choices for the Breakfast Nook

1.  Waverly Ellis in Flamingo

Fabric Choices for the Breakfast Nook

2.  Waverly Sun n Shade Lenox in Horizon

Fabric Choices for the Breakfast Nook

3.  Premier Prints Chipper in True Turquoise

Fabric Choices for the Breakfast Nook

4.  Waverly Ellis in Turquoise

All of the fabrics are comparable in price, and they’re either indoor/outdoor or can be treated with ScotchGard – so it really just comes down to the best fit for the room!

Speaking of which, the fabric will be going in this room . . .

Breakfast Nook

( Ignore the table and chairs – they’re both gone. )

. . . which is open to this room . . .

Our Bold Gallery Wall - Finished!!

. . . and this room . . .

Our Kitchen

. . . and will go on these chairs . . .

Fabric Choices for the Breakfast Nook

. . . around a round, dark-stained wood table (more about that later).

I’m seriously on the fence.  I’m kind of leaning towards the Chipper fabric (#3) or Ellis in Flamingo (#1), but I’m also being wooed by the indoor/outdoor qualities of the Lenox in Horizon (#2).  But I could definitely use some help – which fabric would you choose, and why?

Comments

1. Totally fond of #1 and #4, because of the timeless pattern combined with fresh colours, of which the flamingo’s my favourite, then. The contrasting off-white will be gently reflected in the room’s main tones…

2. LeeAnn says:

My first thought was immediately #3, but I would prefer if the almond shape was vertical vs horizontal as it is printed on the fabric. Then I thought how great would the color of #1 really add as a focal point since its an open floor plan. If you still have similar accessories in your kitchen and living room on display then choosing a aqua color may just push everything to being too matchy-matchy. But this brings me back to the previous discussion of, can I live with this for the rest of my life! (Which we DON’T have to, but its a sickness I tell you!) I do love the idea of the outdoor fabric for the chairs. It would really add to the longevity of the chair. Do you plan on upholstering the chairs yourself?

Yes, I do plan on upholstering them myself (fingers crossed that I can avoid disaster!) I know, I’m having the same thoughts as you – too much blue? Indoor/outdoor? And I also thought about changing the direction of the almond-shaped pattern – I guess I would have to wait and see if that’s possible when the fabric came in . . .

I think this room is going to rock when you finish, no matter which print you choose. I LOVE the chairs the fabric is going on and can’t wait to see the new table too! Just looking at the swatches my first choice was definitely #1 because I like the color and pattern the best. However, after looking at the photos of your rooms I notice that you have that tiffany-esque lamp on the secretary which has blues, you have blue accents in your kitchen and family room, AND that fabulous gallery wall has some blues which stand out, so I might be tempted to go with #4.

I personally wouldn’t choose #2 because it reminds me too much of four leaf clovers for St. Patrick’s day! Ha! And though I like #3, I much prefer #4…and #1. I just looked again. I don’t know – I think I’d go with #1 for sure. :) Now I totally want to recover my chairs with that! HAHA!

There you have it, my two cents. I’d choose #4 if I wanted to stick with blue accents (even though I know you do have orange too), or I’d go with my gut and choose #1 for a REAL splash of color! All that being said, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the four! :)

4. I vote for #2! I like the bit of variety the 2 colors of blue/green add to the fabric. Sometimes white + one other color can be a little stark…
    That being said, they are all really cute!
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post post ..A Shocking Revelation

I agree about the starkness of just 2 colors – I was really hoping for 3+ (hence the florals) but since the hubby lives here I guess he gets to vote. :) I hadn’t thought about #2 having 3 colors, but you’re right!

5. Ali says:

I think the first one would look amazing. It would be a cool place for a bright pop of color and I think it would really compliment your amazing den.

6. Trisha says:

Personally, my favorite is #1. I think it’s the color that gets me. But I would totally steer clear of #1 as well as #4 in this case because the pattern in each of these fabrics is similar to that in your living room rug. They might try to compete with one another–especially if the chairs are fully upholstered front and back, like the chairs you’ve selected. I would go with something less graphic like #3. It’s still bright and cheerful with a strong, contrasting color palate and pattern, but it’s not going to compete with any other patterns you’ve got going on already.
    Trisha´s last blog post post ..New wool

7. Sara says:

I would go with #3 because it would pick up the tun turquoise accents in your great room. Love it!

8. Kelly says:

What a fun choice! You’re already getting opinions all over the board, so I’ll just add mine in. :) I think that turquoise would be a perfect complement, and I am loving that pattern in #2. Just for fun, I’d love to see what florals you’d choose if it was ALL up to you. Just because my husband and I are ALWAYS having these “discussions” too, so I end up doing a little daydreaming myself. Good luck!

9. Joanne says:

I like 1 best. It will add warmth to the cool neutrals you are using and I think I saw some of the color in the pillows on the sofa in the den.

10. Cathy says:

My first instinct was to go with 1. because it is warm with the warm wood and backsplashes and would tie into your pillows on the sofa. Upon reflection, I would go with #4 for the opposite reasons—great with your built-in in that room, and brightens up the entire scheme–but still “goes” 3. is too obvious as the pattern is the same as your area rug…
    Good luck!

11. Cathy says:

Oops! Obviously, meant #2 as matching your rug pattern!

12. Jen Rames says:

I love #1 – the bright reddish color would be great with your pillows and other touches of red. That being said I think you are a turquoise girl so #4 might be a better match! I am clearly a fan of the Waverly Ellis. Any of them will be fabulous in there – how fun! Way to go Jason with the bright color approval – it would take quite an effort to get the ok in my house…
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..San Antonio Greenway Trails

13. Aimee says:

#1, Though I like #4 also. I am concerned that the others might “fight” with your beautiful green glass backsplash around your stove. #3 is my least favorite, because the larger design might be difficult to work with and match. Great finds!

14. Lisa says:

I love the pattern on number 3. I am also partial to #4, I have it on a chair in my living room.

15. I like #1 and 4. I am partial to the color in #1 and the pop of color that it gives.

16. Jen says:

I like 1 & 4 the best. I know that whatever you pick will look amazing!

17. #3 is my favorite fabric, but I don’t think it’s right for the chairs. I would say #1 or #1. I think #1 is little more fun and bold color wise, but #4 would work nicely also. I think #2 is a little too similar patter wise to the rug.
    nikki @ nikkisnacs´s last blog post post ..Meal Plan February 27

18. Carolyne O. says:

#2 because it repeats the rug pattern..I like cohesiveness.

19. I like them all but I think I like number 2 and 3 best because they play on the elements of the rooms and because I am a sucker for turquoise myself :)

Can’t wait to see what you picked!

20. Kristin says:

I’m loving that Flamingo! I think it would be a fun pop of color! However, one of the blues might tie in better with your living room since you have some blue accessories in there. They are all great choices!

GOOD CHOICES! I’m learning towards # 2 & # 4 – I think ether one would complement the chairs (which I have a love!) I would for sure go with outdoor fabric thats washable — I love being able to wash my chair covers – we just have the standard white ones from ikea – but they come clean after each wash :)

22. Cora says:

I would choose no. 3.

23. Joi says:

I’d totally go for #3!
    Joi´s last blog post post ..Whats Good In Your Hood Dallas &amp Fort Worth

24. I have to know where you got the rug for your family room! Please let me know!

Cassity

The rug is the Moorish Tile rug that Pottery Barn made awhile back – they don’t manufacture it anymore but you can still find it in lots of fun colors on Ebay (brown, orange and yellow). Ours is an 8×10 and it’s a great size for our den – we love it! Happy shopping!