The Saga of the Breakfast Room Chairs: Part I

It all started around Christmas.  Each year, we shove the breakfast room table and chairs into the garage to make room for our Christmas tree – this particular December I decided the table and chairs should never return.

Breakfast Nook

So then we lived without a table or chairs for weeks and weeks.  Our enormous chair sat in their place (we never got our rears in gear to move it out after we swapped it for the secretary in the den), and our house looked like crazy people lived there.

The Saga of the Breakfast Room Chairs: Part I

One fateful day, I received a $100 coupon to World Market – our luck had changed!  We earned this gift because we bought a ton of furniture from World Market to stage the flip.  And at World Market, our luck continued – our favorite solid-wood pedestal table had been marked down from $449.99 to $299.99, which made it under $200 with our coupon.  Yay!!!!

The Saga of the Breakfast Room Chairs: Part I

I assembled it with love and care, and our table woes were solved.  But what to do about those pesky chairs?  Our guests would surely object to eating dinner while doing squats around the table, wouldn’t they?

The Saga of the Breakfast Room Chairs: Part I

So the hunt for 4 affordable, attractive chairs was on.  During the hunt we started refining our criteria – the chairs needed some fabric to soften up the breakfast nook and break up all of that wood, the total price for all the chairs needed to be reasonable, it would be nice if the fabric could be washed, not too modern, not too traditional . . . it went on and on.

As the hunt wore on, I swore that I would not bring any more furniture from Ikea into my home – I was an adult, gosh darnit!  Surely there were other attractive, affordable chairs out there that met our needs.  Weren’t there?

As it turned out . . . nope.  These babies from Ikea turned out to be just the ticket.

Fabric Choices for the Breakfast Nook

Comfortable, slipcovered, classic lines, and the price was right.

But what to do about the slipcovers?  Basic white just wouldn’t cut it – after all, they were going into a breakfast nook where the only two colors currently going on in there were brown and white.  More white wouldn’t do.

So the idea of a Liz-made slipcover was born.  The idea took hold and I just couldn’t shake it – I would transform myself into a seamstress!!  The web abounds with tutorials for slipcovers, how hard could it be?  I decided to tackle the challenge.

Fabric was chosen with the help of my trusty readers, and just a few days later it arrived.

The Saga of the Breakfast Room Chairs: Part I

The fabric was gorgeous!

The Saga of the Breakfast Room Chairs: Part I

But it just wasn’t right.  At first I convinced myself that I could make it work, but no – the glorious fabric was simply too pink to play nicely with my boldly-hued great room.

I was crushed.  My dream of sewing slipcovers for the breakfast room chairs had died (although I’ll admit I had a few qualms about it) and now the deadline for having my chairs completed was rapidly approaching.  Yes, I have a secret deadline.  You see, I’m having a little backyard BBQ for my 30th birthday on Saturday and I hope to have the breakfast room looking somewhat presentable.

So what’s a girl to do?  To be continued . . .

P.S.  I forgot all about the “Finish this Sentence” blog party this Friday!  The topic is in the sidebar if you want to join in.

Comments

Oh man I’m dying to know what happened next and how in the heck you could get it done by Saturday?!

Hmmm I’m not sure I’ll be able to participate this month – I can’t think of any trend right off the bat. I’ll think about it!

Birthday weekends RULE!!!!!!

It’s going to be a trick to get it finished by Saturday – we’ll see how it goes! :)

2. kathy says:

i can’t wait to see what you finally did! i love that fabric though!!

I love it, too! I’m keeping it in the back of my mind for future projects.

I like the table you choose!! The fabric, hmm I liked the shades of tourquise better! lol I’m hoping you ending up going in the direction instead?

4. Bummer that the fabric didn’t work out! Are you able to return it or do you have other plans for it? I love the table, by the way–great choice :)

Good luck getting it all done!
    KT @ KT’s Refinishing School´s last blog post post ..Spanish Saturday Night

Yes, I can return it – thank goodness! I bought the fabric from Fabric.com, and they offer free return shipping and a full refund within 30 days. Isn’t that awesome? And thanks, we were lucky to find that table! :)

5. LeeAnn says:

What a bummer! Thank goodness for good return policies. I really can’t wait to see how they turn out. And Happy Birthday (on Saturday!)

6. Bummer that the fabric didn’t work. I love the color and pattern. Can’t wait to see what you come up with. I know it will be fabulous.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..The Nook- My review

7. Emily S. says:

This was an awesome post, Liz! I know it doesn’t have a happy ending (yet), but I love how it unfolded like a story. I’m really enjoying your blog–thanks! Oh, and have an AWESOME birthday this weekend! Happy 30th!

8. Jen Rames says:

I can’t wait to see what you are doing instead!! Hope you have an awesome birthday party! So sad to have to miss it… :(
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..Happy Birthday Kyle!

9. Kristy Swain says:

Yay for good return policies. Thanks for sharing a “mistake” as we all have them at times. Bummer it didn’t work, but makes all of us feel a little better when we have a great idea that just doesn’t work. Can’t wait to see what you choose and how it looks. Love both tables – before and after.

10. I love the pattern on the fabric, and it would look FANTASTIC if it were the same color as the throw on the big chair that was in your breakfast nook. I can’t wait to see what you chose, though.
    Childfree Chic´s last blog post post ..Midweek Martini

11. nikki says:

The bright side it that you are able to return it without much hassle and you won’t have to wonder if that fabric would have been perfect.

Now you know, and I’m sure that whatever direction you go will be just right.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do.
    nikki´s last blog post post ..13 months

12. Joi says:

I’m such a World Market lover! That’s a great table and I can’t wait to see what you do with the chairs!
    Joi´s last blog post post ..Whats Good In Your Hood Miami

13. Well happy soon to be 30th birthday! I love shopping at world market so much I don’t even know where to start with that place. I have similar feelings about Ikea as you. It’s love hate relationship, yet I keep finding myself being pulled back in there.
    Brooke Campbell´s last blog post post ..Coleman BlackCat Heater

14. I love how parties and having guests over ‘inspire’ us to get projects done.

We’re in the middle of renovating out entire house, and I’m still holding out hope that we can have a Summer Solstice party. ;)

15. Call me crazy but I think that it looks like a cute little reading nook with the chair in it. Love all the windows, would be great light for reading!