Our Next Flip!

I had the best of intentions – I was going to hold off on telling you guys the exciting news until the deal was actually done, but I just couldn’t wait any longer.

If all goes according to plan, we will be closing on our next flip this Thursday!

Our Next Flip!

(It’s not any of the houses I told you about – although we did put in an unaccepted offer on one of those, as well as another house.)

Let me tell ya, I cannot wait to start remodeling another house!  We finally got a chance to tour it the other day and it has so much potential – over 2,300 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, an extra room that is technically a dining room but we’re planning on turning it into a study, a big kitchen with a giant eat-in area, and a huge den with a fireplace, two built-in bookcases, a bay window and French doors to the patio.  It’s going to be awesome.

This home is being sold by an estate so we’re buying it without a seller’s disclosure – that means that we don’t get any history of the house and the only things that we’ll know about it are the things that turn up in the inspection.  We can tell just by looking at it that foundation work needs to be done and that we’ll be buying new windows.  Other than that, we’ll be quizzing our inspector about the condition of the roof, whether the house has aluminum wiring (it was built in 1970), and the condition of all the systems in the house (like HVAC and plumbing).  Fingers crossed that none of that stuff crops up, but we’re ready for it if it does.

I think we’ve got most of the renovations planned out already (tentatively, at least), but there are two areas that have me kind of stumped – the entryway and the “other room.”  The entryway is pretty big and has a tray ceiling, so I like both of those aspects, but directly across from the front door it has two closets – which means that the first thing you see when you enter the house are a pair of closet doors.  Not too pretty, and I’d rather that a piece of furniture could go there.  I’d like to keep the storage space and access it from another room, but it doesn’t really work out that way with the layout.  And the closets back to the kitchen/eat-in area, so it would be great to incorporate that storage into those rooms but there is a built-in hutch in the way that I really want to keep.

Our Next Flip!

Hmm.  Any thoughts?

Also, as I mentioned above, we want to turn the formal dining room into a study.  The reason for doing this is to gain more cabinet space in the kitchen by walling off the doorway between the kitchen and the formal dining room.  (Someone could still use it as a dining room but they’d have to trek through the den and the entryway to get there – probably not gonna happen).  We think this is okay because the kitchen has a gigantic eat-in area that is a distinct space from the kitchen – and it’s big enough for a really large dining table, so I think it could definitely be used to host family, etc.  I’m 99% okay with this arrangement, but that 1% is worried that potential buyers might be turned off by the lack of a “formal” dining space.  That being said, most of my friends don’t want formal dining rooms and I’ve never used ours.  Would the lack of a formal dining room keep you from buying a house?

I hope my ramblings made sense.  Can’t wait to hear what you guys think!

Comments

1. wow very cool you’re already on the next flip! I personally would prefer not having a formal dining room – the lack of one is a turn on. I suppose it depends on your market and area etc. But I think you’re on the right track. No ideas on the closets – perhaps get new doors so they’re beautiful closets?!

2. Janis says:

Liz, could you center your piece of furniture (or a pier table and mirror?) on that wall and then turn the remaining space on either side of it into CAMOUFLAGED, SECRET, PRESS-TO-OPEN doors? (Who doesn’t love secret passageways?) The doors could disappear into a pattern-covered wall and the storage space could be all shelving, to allow maneuvering room. ~ Congrats on your new summer project!

Cool idea! My parents have something like that and they can be pretty darn discreet. I wouldn’t have thought of it!

3. Andrea says:

Yea for a new flip! How exciting:)

I think closet space off the front door is a MUST especially if there is plenty of it. I would never buy a house that didn’t have a front closet. That being said, I agree with Robin that maybe pretty doors or glass divided doors would be a great way for them to become a focal point rather than a drawback. Another suggestion would be to move the doors over a bit to allow for a slightly bigger middle section of wall for a small plant stand, umbrella holder, or tiny table with plant.

As far as the dining room goes, I think plenty of people still really like a dining room and in our flips we always included one b/c we weren’t marketing to our age group but a demographic that had money to spend and in that case they wanted a dining room…for all those dinner parties:)

But again all depends on your demographic and I would think, sale price.

Good luck!

You’re totally right about the demographics. I’m really familiar with this neighborhood and almost everyone that’s moving into it is a young couple (like us), possibly with a kid. My thought is that the young crowd probably doesn’t care as much about a dining room . . . ?

4. You’re going to have sooooo much fun, I’m so excited to see what you guys do.

Ever thought about doing something like Sarah Richardson did in her farmhouse entry. She separated the closets (keeping the storage) and put a wonderful piece of furniture, mirror, etc between them……….it may work really well in your space.
    Check it out here:

PS: I’d totally buy a house without a formal dining room…………….my votes for the changing it over to a study.

I’m OBSESSED with that entryway! I need to get another look at the entryway at the flip to see if there would be room for some furniture between the doors . . . love it. I still wish, though, that the setup was more like the entryway in Sarah’s House, so that the doors were to the side rather than smack in front of your face. But this would definitely make it all look better!

5. Jenn says:

I wonder if you would be able to take off the doors and make it an open storage area? I also like the above suggestions!

6. Amanda says:

I agree with Andrea about needing a hall closet. Maybe keep the one on the den side, and wall off the other one? Can you add a door to it in the “other room”? If it’s an office, a closet in there wouldn’t be bad – particularly if it’s ever used as a guest room or a craft/hobby/toy room. Or, part of it could be turned into a nook with a built in for something?? Just random thoughts….

Congrats! Can’t wait to see what you do with this one!

7. Lisa Capasso says:

everyone has already said my idea for the closets–move the doors so that you can put a piece of furniture in the middle.

I’d be ok without a formal dining room IF there was a LARGE eat-in space (kind of like in your last flip, the space was all open). But we need at least a six person table in our dining space, and we have family over frequently, so I’d pass on something that had only enough table space for four. If that makes any sense.

8. Holly says:

So excited to see pictures of your new flip! I like what others have said about the doors, but I have another idea to add. How about closing both of those doors off. Then putting a door in each the den and the “other room” so each room would gain a closet. The one in the den could be a coat closet like what would typically be in a entry. Most people come straight into the den anyway.

I think most young people would be okay without a formal dining room. Especially if the eat in kitchen’s dining area is large.

I think that’s a great idea, but due to the configuration of the other rooms I don’t think it would work. :( There isn’t enough room to put a door in the “other room” to the closet because the “other room” and the kitchen meet halfway alongside the closet (does that make sense?). And in the den, we could definitely add a door, but it would be right in the middle of the best place for the TV. Then again, maybe all of this will solve itself once we start tearing everything out! Here’s hoping. :)

9. Ok Liz, first off, WHOO HOOO! So glad you found your next flip! Let the renovations begin. :)

Holly (above) and I had the exact same Idea – to wall off the front of the closets and add doors to the ends where they meet the “other room” and the den, if possible.

My vote on the dining room (assuming the neighborhood draws a fair amount of families and young people) is to go with your gut. We turned our formal dining room into an informal one by taking out a wall and wouldn’t have it any other way. :)

One more time: Whoo hoo!
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post ..Bedside Manor

10. Kerry says:

I think that is so awesome – I would love to get into flipping but, for now, my only rennovation will be the house I live in. In reading your post about the closet doors, I was reminded of a re-do I saw over at green Seed Creations. As you scroll through her pictures, you will see that her front door opens up into a beautiful view of a closet door as well. I think she did a really nice job of working with it so I though I would send it your way for inspiration. http://www.greenseedcreations.blogspot.com/p/quinby-cottage.html

Best of luck!!
    Kerry´s last blog post ..Friday Finds- vtech

11. This is so awesome! You have such a golden touch, I can wait to see you work your magic.

My two cents about the dining room. More cabinet space is better, period. If there’s a large area to eat, I don’t think it’s a problem. I think if you expect young couples to buy the house (is it in their price range?), then it’s definitely unnecessary. I think the idea of a formal dining space is a bit antiquated myself. I wish ours was all open.

Is it common in the neighborhood to have a separate dining area?
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post ..7 best chair makeovers

Yes, all of the houses in the neighborhood were built in the 60s-70s, so they all have some version of a formal living room and formal dining room. That being said, everyone that is moving into the neighborhood is renovating the heck out of the houses, and are becoming less formal – but since most of the houses have room for a formal dining room and an eat-in kitchen, lots of them have both. So we would probably be in the minority without a formal dining room. BUT, and this is a big but, the “eat-in” area in the kitchen is definitely big enough to seat 6 people, and probably more (I need to measure it out).

Oh my gosh – I’m so excited for you! Fingers crossed it all goes well. I am probably in the minority here, but we have cherished heirloom dining room furniture (Matt’s mom’s – remember!) so we definitely want/need a dining room in our next house too…But if we found the PERFECT house and it didn’t have one…maybe we’d store it?! Can’t wait to hear what you decide to do. Hope you all have a great weekend. BOTH kids are sick – Cal’s got this awful high fever virus and Fi just has a cold. Ugh. Having little kids is hard work! Ha!

It definitely sounds like hard work, hope the feel better and you have a great weekend! And that’s a good point about heirloom furniture . . . so many things to think about!

13. I actually think the layout seems really nice! I like the formal entryway with the large closets, all that space is a big selling point for buyers. Okay, maybe it’s just a big selling point for me but I think it is nice.

14. Jen Rames says:

Exciting Liz!! I don’t think many people care about a formal dining room these days. Life (even at holidays, during dinner parties, etc.) revolves around the kitchen and living area. I would much prefer a study and storage. I hope closing is easy!
    Jen Rames´s last blog post ..Girls’ Night In- A Jewelry Bar Party

15. Lucinda says:

Liz,
    I know y’all will make this place sparkle! What part of town is this one in? You’re probably on the right track with the dinning room. I think I’m the one the last people who still has dinner parties in the dinning room…I actually wish mine was bigger!
    Can’t wait to see the real pics!
    Have a great weekend.
    Lucinda
    Lucinda´s last blog post ..PAPERJUNK-LC

16. Tiffany says:

Congrats on your new flip! I look forward to seeing the inside and what you have in store for the new space!!

Tiffany {living savvy}

17. Kara says:

I may be in the minority here, but we are a young family with one child and I would pass on any house with no formal dining space. I would never entertain in an eat-in kitchen where everyone can see the dirty dishes and dinner prep mess. We were given a dining room set from family that is sentimental and I love using it for dinners and holidays. I think entertaining is kind of a dying practice so a majority of people in my demographic probably disagree with me.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with this house. We are actually relocating to Dallas soon so I’ve been looking at a lot of houses in the Dallas market. It’s fun to see flips in the area!
    Kara´s last blog post ..Some More of Whats Up

18. Beachbrights says:

First, congrats on the newest flip! I can’t wait to “watch” your journey. Second, I did not read all the other comments so you probably already have your answer. Third, I would keep the formal dining room. Go with your gut and I believe that we both realize, in this price range, that a formal dining room is expected. Yes, we all say that we don’t want one or use ours very much but we still have them. Don’t give potential buyers an excuse not to buy. Lastly, keep the closets. Entry ways need a closet. Have you considered refiguring the closets from 2 to 1 and using a really cool barn door instead of traditional doors?

That’s it. That’s my 2 cents.
    XOXO

19. Rebecca says:

This entryway predicament instantly made me think of Dana Miller’s mini-mudroom nook on House*Tweaking: http://www.housetweaking.com/2010/07/29/feature-friday-my-mini-mudroom/ It totally makes me wish I had a house…and a closet or entryway or mudroom.