Take a “Before” Tour of Our Third Flip

Are you guys ready to take a tour of our newest flip?  I figured I should hurry up and show you some photos – demo has already started so the flip won’t look like this for long!

A Special Date

Here’s a quick little floor plan that I made, using our survey as my cheat sheet for loosely filling in the layout of all the rooms.  Take it with a very large grain of salt.  :)

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Let’s start in the entryway, shall we?  These are the two closets I was talking about, and they are directly across from the front door.  You can see a bit of the den and the hallway to the bedroom wing on the far right of this photo.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

It has a great tray ceiling that will look lovely once the popcorn and plaster molding are removed (my apologies to those of you that love 70s plaster molding).

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

To the left of the entryway is the formal dining room / potential office, which also has a bit of a vaulted ceiling.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

It leads into the kitchen, which has some seriously insane features . . .

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

. . . like the enormous view-obstructing vent hood and 45 degree angled peninsula.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

But it will actually be a pretty big space once we fix the layout.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

This laundry room is right off the kitchen, and connects to the garage.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

This little half bathroom connects to the laundry room.  It’s in a really awkward location in the house – I can’t imagine anyone would use this bathroom except someone cooking in the kitchen.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

I like this mirror, though – this is the one that I plan on stealing and painting for our own house.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Between the kitchen and the den is this huuuuge breakfast room.  It’s something like 14.5 feet by 10.5 feet.  Remember how we talked about making it the only dining room?  Well, we’ve decided not to block off the doorway between the kitchen and the formal dining room (even though it makes me sad to lose my vision of how the kitchen would work without that doorway) so that buyers would have options.  By the way, I love that built-in hutch.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Now we’re in the family room!  Don’t you love the beams?  You can see the entryway and the breakfast room through those two doorways, and the patio is through the French doors.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

The family room is enormous, and has these great built-in bookcases.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Just off the family room is the bedroom wing, with all 3 bedrooms off of this long hallway.  (This house has 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.)

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

This is the first bedroom, and it has a ginormous closet (or at least it’s ginormous considering that it’s serving a secondary bedroom).

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

This jack ‘n jill bathroom connects the two guest bedrooms and also opens to the hallway.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Here is the second bedroom.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

And now the master bedroom!  It’s a great size, has a doorway out to the patio, and has a vaulted ceiling just like our last flip.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

It also has a similar layout to the master bathroom at the last flip (although not exactly the same) – and we plan on keeping pretty much everything where it already is and working with the existing his & hers scheme.  This is the “his” vanity and closet.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Looking through the shared wet area into the “hers” side of the bathroom.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

The “hers” side of the bathroom.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

The back patio is huge!  I love that the master bedroom opens onto the patio, and that there’s both covered and uncovered options for hanging out on the patio.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

So there you have it!  What do you think, can you already envision it all spiffed up?

Comments

1. They sure did leave you guys a mess! Good thing you aren’t actually needing to move into that house. Wowza!

I love how you have vision because I look at those photos and think, “I wouldn’t buy that house to save my life!” yet, somehow, you guys turn it into this fabulous place to live. Maybe you can come give me some ideas?!!??!!!

No kidding, right? You should have seen it a few days before I took those pictures . . . no comment. :)

2. Wow! It’s huge!

What potential and space. Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Although, wth is with the hood? Strange.

And, seriously? Don’t finish this house before we get moved into our renovation, okay? It’s not good for my sanity. (jk, kinda).

Can’t wait to follow along.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post post ..You-musts

I know, the hood was clearly installed by a drunk person – how someone lived with a hood hanging in the middle of their sightline for over 30 years, I’ll never know. And I think your sanity should be safe – we have a whole team of people doing what you guys are doing on your own – you’re amazing!

3. kathy says:

wow, looks great! can’t wait to follow your progress

4. Aimee says:

I’m catching up on your last posts:
    1) love the June 2 continuity through the years. WOW!
    2) your work is definitely cut out for you on the new flip. It looks sorta discouraging right now, so I can not wait to see you guys turn this decidedly “sow’s ear” house into a “silk purse” home! HURRY!

5. Wow! so much potential!! It must be nice to not have to actually live in it while you are doing all the projects :). Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

6. Jen says:

I can’t wait to see your amazing work!!

7. HeidiG says:

Love the house. We just bought at 1981 house stuck in the 80’s and I’m in love with it. We’ve been renovating and finding it’s not for the weak for weak of heart & you’ve done this multiple times. I’m impressed!

Do you guys do this for a living? Love the blog!

Oh, how exciting to be renovating your own house! Yep, we do this for a living, splitting our time between being realtors and flipping houses. We have lots of fun! :)

8. Thanks for the link love Liz! I think this flip has a lot of potential–the built-ins and vaulted ceilings are awesome (especially once the scalloped edges and popcorn ceilings are removed) :) I also love that the bedrooms are all set away from the rest of the living space–very nice!

Can’t wait to see more of the reno process and of course, the finished product!
    KT @ KT’s Refinishing School´s last blog post post ..WIAW and Remember When Wednesday RWW

9. rachel g says:

Oh I cannot wait to see what you guys do with this one! Fabulous potential!!!

10. Kara says:

Sooooo much potential! Love those vaulted ceilings! Hope you have limited amounts of popcorn to deal with. :)
    Kara´s last blog post post ..Some More of Whats Up

11. Jen Rames says:

I can’t wait to see what you do with it!! Love the hutch and back patio area.
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..A Hawaiian Holiday!

I have been trying to read through this post for AGES! My kids keep keep getting in the way!

YES, I totally can imagine it all spiffed up and Liz’ed out! I can’t wait to see the progress — you will share in progress shots, right?

I can’t believe how spacious the master bathroom is. Mine is like 4×6 (not even kidding) and I dream of a larger – no, LARGE – one in our next house!

So fun Liz!!!

13. I cannot wait to see what you do with this. Your last flip was just breathtaking. And I love that you choose single-story homes. When I hit retirement age and need a tire of the stairs, I’ll definitely keep an eye out for one of your flips! ;-)
    Childfree Chic´s last blog post post ..COOKING- Cookbooks for One or Two

14. Tonya says:

I am so excited for the tranformation to begin!! I can’t wait to see what you have in store for this one!

15. DJ Buchanan says:

What a great place to start–I can definitely see the potential. The only thing that has me confused is the “patio”, it seems so dark!
    DJ Buchanan´s last blog post post ..Redwood Fencing: Planning Makes Perfect

16. Tracy says:

I had a quick question…how did you go about finding your contractor that is good and reliable? We’ve been having some questions as to what makes sense in terms of evaluating a contractor in our area….any tips you might have would be appreciated!

We were guided by four main things: (1) Whose signs did we keep seeing in the neighborhood?, (2) Who had the best referrals?, (3) Whose work was the best? (viewing their work in person is a MUST!), and (4) Whose prices were the most reasonable? We followed those four guidelines and we are THRILLED with our contractor. Hope that helps!