The Kitchen Floor Plan

The last time you saw the kitchen at our third flip it looked like this:

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

But now it actually looks more like this!

The Kitchen Floor Plan

That’s right my friends, that outdated kitchen is gone!!

Hopefully before too long that empty shell of a kitchen will look like this – but in 3D of course.  :)

The Kitchen Floor Plan

Here are the changes to the kitchen floor plan that we’re planning on making:

1. Move the fridge and water line to the sink wall (it’s currently on the bottom wall that is blank on the floor plan sketch above).
  2. Move the door to the office/formal dining room down to make room for an L-shaped run of countertop.
  3. Get rid of the crazy vent hood, switch out the double oven and electric cooktop for a slide-in gas range, and move the whole shebang to that left-hand wall.  Luckily there were already gas lines so it will be easy to switch from electric to gas!
  4. Make the island a more manageable size – we’re thinking 48 x 32.
  5. Nix the half bath off the kitchen (oh I can’t wait to hear the opinions on that one, ha!) and move that wall in about 2 feet to create a larger dining area.  What remains of the bathroom will become extra space in the laundry room that will be a built-in pantry.

I think that’s it!  I went through some really horrible floor plans before our contractor helped us come up with this option, and I’m really excited about it.  I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Comments

1. The new floor plan looks awesome! I think figuring out the kitchen was one of the most challenging but most enjoyable parts of our reno. I’m still a little baffled by that flow-blocking peninsula… what were they thinking?

Looks like fun!
    Nette @ This Dusty House´s last blog post post ..A Weekend Home

I know! And I totally agree – it’s hard to figure out the kitchen but once you do it’s SO gratifying!

2. rachel g says:

Ahhhh! So exciting! I can’t wait to see more!

ps- I’m back… but with a new URL… I hope you’ll check out Just a Touch of Gray – dedicated to all things house related!

3. Lisa Capasso says:

it looks a hundred times better without that crazy vent hood :-)

4. Jessie says:

I can’t wait to see the finished product. I always love a great big kitchen island. Everything will look amazing in the end, I am sure!

Jessie

5. Sounds good to me! Since the house is a ranch, I think it’s smart to get rid of the half bath and add a pantry–now if you were getting rid of the only bathroom (half or otherwise) on the floor, I might feel otherwise haha :)
    KT @ KT’s Refinishing School´s last blog post post ..What Im Grilling Wednesday and RWW

Is there another bathroom on this floor? I hope so! I think your changes are going to be just awesome Liz! Yay!

Yep! It’s a single story ranch house, so there’s a jack ‘n jill bathroom that also serves guests right off the den, and then there’s the master bathroom. Hopefully that should cover everybody! :)

7. Tonya says:

I am all for doing away with the hlaf bath – that was such a weird location for it anyway. Can’t wait for the next update!

It WAS weird! And we eventually realized that it would cost a lot more money to remodel the bath than it would to turn it into a pantry (duh) and I think people will appreciate the pantry more. Or at least we’ll see. :)

8. Aimee says:

Oh my goodness, I CAN NOT WAIT to see how this develops. Fabulous-o!

9. This will be awesome! The layout is super nice and if you have enough bathrooms, I totally agree with nixxing it. If we had another one in our house, I’d be keeping it. I hate only having the upstairs bath for now.

Can’t wait to see this come together. And, I’m painfully aware of how fast this is going. =) But it’s all love.

We didn’t have a bathroom on the main level of our townhouse and it did drive me a little batty. I can see why they did it in amazing 100 year old houses like yours, but our townhouse was built in 2007! Craziness.