Safe v. Brave

Today I’ve been on Pinterest, pinning light fixtures like it’s going out of style.  You see, our dining room looks like this right now:

Safe v. Brave

Actually, it looks like this:

Safe v. Brave

We knew the day would come when our lovely dining room set would go to it’s real home (with my uncle’s son) and, my friends, that day is here.

So not only do we need new dining room furniture (I’m thinking this table, not sure yet about chairs), but we’re springing for a new light fixture.  The current one is going to live at the flip and mama’s gettin’ a new chandelier!

But I’m having a bit of a dilemma.  Hubby has given me the go-ahead to order one of these chandeliers.

Safe v. Brave

Safe v. Brave

The brave girl in me is dying for the drama of that crazy Edison chandelier.  Can you say conversation piece?  Jason said that he wasn’t sure if our house was cool enough for this fixture, so of course I reminded him that our house will never be cool enough if we don’t add pieces like this.  But now I’m scared.

And the other part of me that plays it safe thinks we should go for that gorgeous capiz chandelier.  It would look fabulous, and I know we would love it.

So what’s a girl to do?  Safe or brave?

Comments

1. Amanda says:

Yep, some would definitely call me safe, but I really love the capiz chandelier. The shape is gorgeous. I’ve never seen a room with this chandelier that I didn’t love!

2. Caroline says:

I am scared of the octopus.

3. Megan says:

Be brave! It’s awesome and not something you see everywhere! plus I think it goes well with the blend of shapes/styles you already have.

4. Go with the Edison…if only so I can live vicariously through you, but also because it is awesome! And being brave is always cooler than playing it safe.

5. Heather says:

Ok they’re both fabulous…the question is, are you going for a modern/urban/funky vibe or are you going for a glamorous/classic/uptown chic vibe? It looks to me like you could go either way – the zebra rug and mirror are definitely glamorous but you could paint the sideboard and change the curtains and add a sleek table and mix of modern chairs to go in that direction.
    I can’t wait to see the “finished” pictures!

I love the look of glamorous spaces, but in truth I probably want a feel that’s a little more casual and eclectic. But then again, my mind could change at any moment, ha! :)

6. Jessie says:

First of all, I think both light fixtures look great! But if you are going for the Edison chandelier, maybe you should consider changing out the credenza, and adding more urban and modern chairs and dining table. If you decide not to change anything, the capiz chandelier is the way to go! Just my thoughts! I am excited to see what you pick in the end!

Jessie

I totally agree about the credenza – however, it has to stay. I’ve been thinking about switching out the knobs, but the credenza would still have all of the ornate detail (it goes with our bedroom furniture that we bought in a set – I know – when we first got married). And funky dining chairs would be a must indeed!!

If you love the spider-looking one…ahem…I mean the edison one! (HAHA! Sorry, that’s the first thing that came to mind!), then GO FOR IT! If you don’t love it, get the other. I TOTALLY think your house is cool enough for either! Dying to find out which one you choose!

I know, it DOES look like a spider/octopus! Which kind of bothers me because I do not want people who come into my home to think I’m crazy – they don’t have to love all of my choices but I want them to at least think I’m sane. :) Hmm, I am inching closer and closer to the capiz . . .

• Ok here’s my 2 cents on the spider “look” of the Edison: You can hang each individual bulb wherever you want to on the ceiling, right? The photo has it styled all crazy, but you could also hang it very very symmetrically so that the bulbs were all the same height and in a perfect circle, or a gradual curve of heights with the hooks on the ceiling in a square or rectangular shape. Does that make sense? Like I said, just a thought!
        Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post post ..Living Small

You’re right, that’s an awesome point! That would totally change the look of the chandelier.

8. Jen says:

Hmmm… I like both! I think the first one is maybe more your style – but understand wanting to try something different. But, as you know, I always go w/the “safe” choice with decorating! I know whatever you do will look awesome!

9. Be BRAAAAAAVVVEEE! You can DO it LIz! :)
    I love the capiz one but I feel like maybe I’ve seen something similar somewhere else in your house? Or not? Or maybe I’ve just seen it in other homes a lot more often than the Edison one. LOVE the Edison one! Then again, I might just be needing to live vicariously through you like Katie ^…
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post post ..Living Small

Ha, I definitely want to live vicariously through people, too!

10. They’re both so great you really can’t go wrong!
    Kate @ Twenty-Six To Life´s last blog post post ..Happy Belated Birthday To Me = New Stuff For The Pups

Ok, for me personally I adore the capriz chandy — the edison light fixture reminds me of spider legs! lol, but I like the edison light fixture (just one at a time)

And I dont think # 1 is safe —- just amazing and also a conversation piece and would look good in your dining room :)

Whateever your decide, you’ll rock the look and make it your own

12. Lisa says:

I normally don’t dis other people’s choices, but that Edison one has always reminded me of a spider. (Which is fine if you like that sort of thing….) I think the Edison one is funky, urban loft-ish feeling, and the capiz is more on the traditional/glam side. What sort of vibe are you going for?

West Elm also has that glass link chandelier, which is just gorgeous. I’m voting for the capiz, personally.

13. kristen says:

i’m sure it’s been commented on already…but the edison chandelier gives a spider vibe that I wouldn’t dig while eating a meal. It’s very cool indeed, but in a house with low ceilings it could be a bit overwhelming to take in! although i’m sure seeing it in person along with all the other amazing pieces in your dining room, it would look amazing. so…just go with your gut! either would will be amazing! good luck!!

14. modern jane says:

Sounds like I’m going against the grain here because I totally love the Edison chandelier! It’s so cool! I say go for it! The capiz one is pretty though but it’s been done..

15. janis says:

Be Brave, Elizabeth, Be Brave!

16. Allison says:

Oh my gosh, your cat is ADORABLE.
    I vote for the capiz.

17. Graziela says:

That Edison chandy makes think The Matrix”movie. If you’ve seen it, it reminds me of that machine with all the legs and arms chasing people. Not a good vibe for me…maybe I’m crazy? LOL!

18. Lily says:

Love the Edison light fixture! I think your house can pull it off :) My favorite, however, is the cat.

19. Hi Elizabeth, I personally go for Capiz chandelier! It looks like a mixed of classic and modern chandelier. Though actually, there is no wrong move here because they both look good.
    Kathy@ColorEdgeCRC.com´s last blog post post ..Digital SLR Camera Reviews

20. anika foster says:

LOL @ “I am scared of the octopus.” both are fine pieces! But for the interior that you have, for me it would be the beautiful Edison lighting fixture! It looks much safer for me. Looks pretty hard to decide…chill. You’ll be fine. Your place is beautiful! :)

21. Carolyn says:

While the Edison one is definitely a conversation piece, I wouldn’t call the capiz one just “safe”, I would call it safe and fabulous!

22. Crazy! We just installed the West Elm Capiz chandy and it was the subject of my blog post yesterday: http://oneprojectatatime.blogspot.com/2011/07/30-install-chandelier-over-dining-table.html?utm_source=BP_recent

I absolutely LOVE it, and even though it may be a bit more subdued from your Edison option, it is still an attention getter and statement making piece. I love it because it feels a little uptown glam, but also has a very casual and natural feel to it due to the natural shell elements. It adds to the room, without taking over the room.

But I’m not bias or anything… ha!
    Erin @ One Project at a Time´s last blog post post ..The Rapture Happened and our Stairs are my Eternal Hell

Erin, it looks SO GREAT in your dining room! I love getting to see it in action!

23. Do you love the Edison? If so, I think you should go for it. Otherwise you may regret it. If you are waffling, I think you should go with the capiz.

With that said, I wouldn’t call the capiz a safe choice. It’s lovely and timeless.

And I think you just gotta go with your gut. You have awesome taste and style. Trust yourself.

24. Mary says:

Brave, be brave! I LOVE that Edison chandelier! LOVE.

25. Rebecca says:

i think the good news is you’d probably be happy with either one. as someone who wishes she had a dining room (or any true eating space, really) i am OOGLING over the capiz one. plus i think it really goes with the other furniture in the space. but if you are feeling the need for a shift in gears, go with ol’ Eddie! can’t go wrong, i don’t think.

also, your cat is adorable and huge! holy moly! i hope he’s a cuddler because he looks sooooo cuddle-able!

26. Gloria says:

I have the capiz chandelier and I love it so much, so obviously that is my favorite. Which one is going to make you happy every time you walk in the room? Or which one would you regret NOT buying. Don’t be safe just because you’re worried people won’t like it, do what you want because you CAN! I can’t wait to see what you choose!

27. Tyler says:

I like the chandeliers. Very elegant you’re dining room is so clean.

28. Katie says:

I love them both, but for the space, I like the capiz one better. In fact, I just showed my husband that exact chandelier (in gray) last night and told him I wanted it for our dining room. So maybe my opinion is skewed a little one way. Good luck making your decision!

29. Tiffany says:

I absolutely LOVE the Edison Chandelier, but I think your husband is right on this one. It’s probably a little TOO contemporary for the space. Both of them are amazing and I can’t wait to see the new dining space!

30. I like the capiz, but if you for the Edison one, drop me a note and I’ll pass along one of the 100 yea-old thick black Edison records I picked up this summer. Too thick to be melted into a bowl I think, but certainly would complement the Edison fixture.
    kim/reluctant renovator´s last blog post post ..Is Induction Cooking Right for My Family?

31. Jen Rames says:

I love the crazy Edison one. I say be brave! If you hate it, you can always change it.
    Jen Rames´s last blog post post ..Loaded Baked Potato Salad

32. Giahnna says:

I love the color of your window treatments…and I’m sure whichever fixture you choose it will turn out fabulous!!!

33. Larissa says:

I’d go on the brave one, just because I like to change things every once in a while :) and I think it’s more beautiful :)
    Larissa´s last blog post post ..How to Look Natural MakeUp Tips

34. Jessie says:

I am hosting a fabulous giveaway and you get to pick your favorite piece of jewelry if you win! Come and enter! :)

Jessie

35. pearlyosborne says:

Aaahh…I go for the Edison.. ^_^ <3
    Everything looks wonderful by the way. :)
    pearlyosborne´s last blog post post ..A Voice Within

36. bridget b. says:

i saw an “upside down” version of the Edison chandelier on yhl’s first post todayl. still edgy but with a little bit of safe mixed in.

37. Lorarian89 says:

Hi there,
    I actually prefer the capiz chandelier, not because it’s going on the safe side but just because it’s prettier :) let us know what you’ve chosen….

38. jairah says:

whoa that crazy edison is cool! i’d go for it… but ofcourse it still depends on you! be brave! it’s just that i find it unique and very catchy…

39. patriciasingson01 says:

You maked me say “wow” when i saw those pictures.its very cool and beautiful .
    and the cat looks good :)
    patriciasingson01´s last blog post post ..angry birds