Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

I’m so glad you guys like the way the flip turned out!  It’s so much fun to see all of our hard work pay off – actually, I guess it hasn’t really paid off since we still own it, but you know what I mean.  :)

I thought we’d start this little before and after tour with the kitchen and dining room, since the kitchen was by far the most heinous part of the house when we bought it back in the beginning of June.

Not only was it not my cup of tea (pea green laminate counters, anyone?) but it was hugely lacking in functionality with a distracting and view-blocking range hood and an awkward angled peninsula.

Remember?

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Well, we tackled those challenges with a switched up floor plan – and here’s how it looks now!

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

In addition to improving functionality, our goal was to lighten and brighten this kitchen and give it a classic feel that will stand the test of time.

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

See what I mean about that crazy range hood?  Not only could you hit your head on it but it was blocking all the natural light from the window (as well as obstructing the sight lines throughout the kitchen).

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

By the way – see those leaded glass panels in the built-in hutch and on either side of the kitchen window?  My mom made those!  She’s the coolest mom ever (and I’m not just saying that so she’ll keep outfitting our flips with awesome panels).

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

As you can see, we moved the fridge over to the other side of the room so that we could fit bar stools at the island.

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

This was our first time using carrera marble counters instead of granite, and I’m totally sold.  Love it!

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

This is where I became a little obsessed with photographing the tile and flowers.  My apologies.

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

We also moved the door a few feet down to the left so that we could have an uninterrupted L-shaped counter rather than having the range shoved in the corner.

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

I will definitely be using this herringbone pattern and gray grout again!  I kinda love it.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

There’s that crazy peninsula I was telling you about – isn’t it better with it gone?

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

The built-ins look so much better after a coat of dark brown paint and new cabinet fronts (those swoopy details were pretty dated).  And another shout out for my mom’s handiwork!

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Even though it’s not a true “open kitchen,” I think that the connection between the kitchen, dining and family room will work really great for the new family that buys this house.

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

( I wasn’t going to post a photo with all of the previous owner’s stuff in the house but this was the only “before” photo I had going this direction. Please excuse all of the moving day craziness. )

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Before & After: The Kitchen & Dining Room

And that’s it!  This is my dad’s favorite flip that we’ve done so far – what about you?  You can check out our other flips here.

All photographs taken by me, unless indicated as “Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography.”

Comments

1. Lisa says:

You have such a great vision for these flips. I’m loving the faucet and counter-tops!

2. Kara says:

Did you end up taking out the half bath? Or is that what I see through the open door at the end of the window wall? Looks great!

We did! It was just a strange place for a bathroom and we didn’t think it would get much use so we turned it into a pantry/mud room (the other half of the room is the laundry area).

3. Kate says:

It’s so lovely that I hate to say this, but I think the brown island and leaded glass in the kitchen was a mistake :( I love the idea of the island being a contrasting color, but there’s nothing clean and chic about that shade of brown. And in this context, I feel like the leaded glass in the kitchen looks a bit dated. I feel like the lines in the glass compete the amazing tile pattern. Of course, I guess it’s all personal preference. Can’t wait to see the rest.

Sorry it wasn’t your cup of tea!

• Hmm, Kate I think I agree with you. I like the idea of the built-ins, and having them in a contrasting colour, but that brown is a bit 70’s meh to me. A taupe or grey may have looked better, or even a muddy blue.

Then again, I’m not the one doing successful flips so it’s not my call :-)
      Not My Mother´s last blog post ..the urge to purge

• Erin says:

I hate to say it because, Liz, your flips are absolutely incredible! But, yes, the brown does not blend in with the desired look of the kitchen/dining room. It definitely dates the room from what I can tell from the pictures. Constructive criticism is okay, right? :) Can’t wait to see the before and afters from the rest of the house!

• Hillary says:

I really love the brown paint and the leaded glass. If it were surrounded by dated stuff, it would look dated. Instead, because of the contrasting materials and timeless finishes you chose, I think it is charming.
      Hillary´s last blog post ..Inspections. Passed.

4. Jamie says:

Amazing transformation! I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the amount of light in the kitchen and that you kept the built-ins in the dining room- kudos!

5. Leila says:

What a transformation! The herringbone backsplash rocks. I’m so glad you kept the built-in hutch – but modernized it – so much character and storage!

6. nikki says:

It’s so pretty! I think you did a great job with all of the details. I really like the leaded glass panels, but my fav is the herringbone tile. I kind of have a thing for it.
    nikki´s last blog post ..something a little unexpected

7. Gorgeous gorgeous backsplash!!! I don’t blame you for sharing all those photos – this kitchen and dining area turned out beautifully!!
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont´s last blog post ..Guest Bath: Color Inspiration

8. Stephanie says:

My GOSH! Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE. You guys do SUCH a great job. It turned out BEAUTIFUL. (I love the tile/flower shots, btw!)
    Stephanie´s last blog post ..I’m guest posting today…

9. WOW WOW WOW! I think the transformation is perfect. Just the right combination of modern elements (that faucet, the 2 tone woodwork…) with timeless classics (the leaded glass, the countertops…) Great job!
    Erin @ One Project at a Time´s last blog post ..New Camera!

10. Jen Rames says:

I love it!! I love your Mom’s glass – I think being able to see in to cabinets would be so cool. The tile and island are fabulous too. It amazes me that you have the vision to turn that scary kitchen into something so beautiful. Way to go!
    Jen Rames´s last blog post ..Avocado Pesto Pasta

11. Lucinda says:

Liz,
    I think this one might be my favorite one of all your work. I can’t wait to see it in person.
    Lucinda

I agree with your dad! This one ROCKS! It’s seriously amazing. You should become a full time designer and move to Cherry Hill. Hehehe. Also – you didn’t mention that mumu hanging from the cabinet in the dining room before shot! WTH! HAHAHA! That made me laugh!

Also, just read through the comments, and I have to say that the brown dining room cupboards
    is TOTALLY my cup of tea. Love it. Especially the glass, doh.

14. Everything really turned out beautifully. I love, love, LOVE the backsplash in the kitchen and how it coordinates so well with the countertops. I love checking in to see all the work you’ve done. We built our own house 2 years ago, and I’d love to do it again! People think I’m crazy! Lol :-) Thanks for sharing.

15. JEN RAMOS says:

WOW, what a difference. The before was crazy 70’s…..
    Love that chevron tiled pattern…amazing!

madebygirl.blogspot.com
    JEN RAMOS´s last blog post ..Plenty of Inspiration on Airspace…

16. chandra says:

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!! This is an amazing flip. I wish I could buy it. Keep up the good work.

17. Lauren says:

You continue to be my gold standard. My two fave pics are the one of you in the before kitchen and the flowers/kitchen tap. (I’ll look at as many pics of that you & counter top as you care to take….)
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Bathroom vanity insanity

18. Heather says:

Where did you get the light above the dining table? I love it! I love this flip!

Overstock! It comes with shades but we took them off. I think it would look cute with those little round bulbs (but we used chandelier bulbs).

19. This is a flip?? OMG—how can you not want to move in? I love every detail! Just found you thru Centsational Girl and can’t wait to go check out all of your blog!

20. The tile in the kitchen is AMAZING. Love the angles. Wow! I’m just amazed by the difference in the kitchen. That range hood was really strange, wasn’t it? What were they thinking?
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post ..Mickey Mouse couples shower

21. Andrea Elliott says:

I love the clean new lines of the kitchen. I’m in the process of updating my 30 year old kitchen on a tight budget. I’m curious as to how much money you had to put into the kitchen and did you hire help? My kitchen is dark and very small. Thanks for any info!

Oh goodness yes! We had a contractor and subcontractors to do the labor while we came up with the design and finishes. The kitchen is always a huge chunk of the budget, especially if you are replacing counter tops, appliances and cabinetry. Good luck on your renovation!!

22. I love the zigzag pattern on your kitchen backsplash. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Kelly

23. Kate says:

This is an incredible transformation! Can u possibly send me detailed instructions on how u did the backsplash? I want to do that so badly, it looks incredible n so modern! I am inspired, Ty for posting this!!

24. Alexis says:

This is my favorite of your flips so far. I love it! I NEED those bar stools. World Market?

25. Peter says:

I really like what you did with the kitchen and dining room. I really wish my house would look like this. I just want to know did you design it yourself or did you go to a company?

26. Kataydee says:

Love the brown painted cabinetry – it’s a great example of using what you have and making it look so much better.

Any chance you would share where the chandelier is from? It’s beautiful.

Again, fabulous job. I would love to move in!
    Kataydee´s last blog post ..Need Your Input: Exterior Brick Options