Before & After: The Family Room

Alright guys and gals, now that you’ve seen the befores and afters from the kitchen and dining room it’s time to scope out the family room!

For all you brown paint haters out there, let me warn you – there is more of the same brown paint in this room, so brace yourselves.  :)

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Here’s how the family room looked 2.5 months ago . . .

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

. . . and here’s how it looks now:

Before & After: The Family Room

We kept the paneling for budget reasons and I’m actually really thrilled with how it turned out after some fresh paint!

Before & After: The Family Room

I personally really like the beams, but they were a little lacking in their medium-tone stain and that fan wasn’t helping matters . . .

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

. . . so we darkened the beams with brown paint (!) and brightened up the space with some recessed lighting.

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

We also liked the brick fireplace and the set of French doors, so we kept those . . .

Before & After: The Family Room

. . . but we installed new windows because the old aluminum ones left a little something to be desired.

Before & After: The Family Room

Hardwood floors instantly added some much-needed pizazz.

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

There were bifold doors on the doorway to the hall as well as to the entryway, so we removed those to make the room feel a little more updated.

Before & After: The Family Room

Also, do you see those scallops on the built-in bookcases above?  Those suckers had to go.

Before & After: The Family Room

We used the same staging furniture throughout the house that we bought for our last flip – luckily everything fit into this home perfectly!

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

That’s it!  This is a giant room – I can imagine the new owners having lots of fun movie nights and having friends over.  Can you?

P.S.  You can see more “before” photos of this flip here.

All photographs taken by me, unless indicated as “Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography.”

Comments

Unbelievable! You guys should have your own tv show! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it all, including the staging furniture! I can’t believe how effortless you make it all seem! Seriously, BRAVO guys!!!

2. Emily S. says:

I love it, too! I am devouring these photos. Thanks, Liz!

3. Jen Rames says:

Love the beams and built-in bookcases – they add so much to the room. Awesome job!!
    Jen Rames´s last blog post ..Tito’s Mexican Restaurant

4. April D says:

Love it!!

5. Hags says:

I love every inch of the house. The interior design is outstanding!

6. Susannah M says:

What is the stain color on the floors? It is BEAUTIFUL and the perfect color- not so dark that it’s trendy (and shows everything) but not too light either! LOVE it
    btw- Found your blog through a good friend of mine I think you know- Noelle G and I just love everything y’all are doing!

• I adore the flooring, too… please do share! The flooring is perfect.

The beams look so much better in the darker brown!

I hate to say it but I don’t know what the stain color is – I know, bad blogger!! The floor guys put out 3 samples on the floor and we picked the one with the least red in it. And you’re right, dark floors DO show everything! This floor has stayed looking amazing clean so far.

P.S. How fun! Please tell Noelle hi! :)

• Krystelle says:

Oh, I like the flooring too. the wood color really matches the white wall paint. You are so great on flipping houses. :)
      Krystelle´s last blog post ..classical Hebrew review

7. kathy says:

looks like a wonderful room! terrific job!

8. katrina says:

Liz — the house looks amazing!! I adore everything — the beams look amazing, my dads house has beams, and he’s thinking of painting them, can’t WAIT to show him your pics for inspiration :)

love it!

9. Lauren says:

I just read in a home mag today that “brown is the new grey” — look at you ahead of the trends! The photos – both yours and the pro ones – are fantastic. Way to see a great job through to the final detail :)

10. Aimee says:

Liz, it looks absolutely TERRIFIC! The new windows and white paint make it all look totally new and fresh. Floor, of course, is fab. (Is there ever a time hardwood floors aren’t on an improvement on dreadful, dirty shag?) The darker mantle piece and beams look much better with the fireplace wall. I don’t remember the sofa table from your last flip staging, but the lamps add a lot to the sofa arrangement. I think your fairy godmother has lent you her magic wand. Super job!

11. Leigh-Anne says:

It all looks amazing! Can you share your source for the art above the sofa? It is lovely! Thanks

12. amy says:

What did you use to paint your panelling? It looks very nice. We have some old, fake wood panelling we need to paint but are unsure how to go about it.

13. Larissa says:

Wow!!! great work! reminds me of our house that should go through a makeover as soon as possible!
    Larissa´s last blog post ..How to get rid of scars

14. Bill says:

You do great work. Can’t wait to see the next one.

15. Monique says:

Hi, I’m new to your site and I am one of those paint haters most of the time but I do love the darker color on the beams. Really perks up the room. So glad you didn’t paint the beams white. And the other rooms are gorgeous too. Well done!

Is it difficult to sell these homes after you’ve put so much into improving them?

Anyway great post and wonderful site.

For some reason it’s really not! Sometimes I want to live in them, but then I always think about a home that we could buy a few years down the road and really make it “us.” :)

16. Who wouldn’t love that brown paint? It really makes the beams pop and pulls the entire space together. You are awesome and have such impeccable taste.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards´s last blog post ..Mickey Mouse couples shower

17. Lara says:

I love the dark beams! I also have a house (from the late 60s) with paneling and beams. Luckily the paneling was already painted a white color. Unfortunately, so have the beams. I have been really contemplating painting them a dark brown to make them pop. Or even a gray color. It’s like they were trying to hide the beams by painting the same color as the ceiling… um, hello, they are beams, you can’t hide them. So with the white walls, white ceiling, white beams, white blinds… it’s all very WHITE! I think painting the beams dark like you did and maybe getting some bamboo window treatments would help big time.

You’re so right, it sounds like a little contrast would really make your living room pop! Hope you go for it, can’t wait to hear how it turns out. :)

18. bridget b. says:

Liz, did you guys do something to the fireplace bricks? For some reason it looks nicer/cleaner in the after pictures. Maybe the updated surroundings bring it out more?

I definitely think the new, non-peachy paint helps a ton, and we also painted the mantel a dark brown color, cleaned out the fireplace (tons of ashes) and removed the fireplace screen. But that’s it! I think having recessed lighting in there really brightened things up a bunch, too.

19. Its simply awesome. Thanks for sharing it with us.

20. Hi! I have been spending waaaay too much time looking at all your flips tonight–but I couldn’t help it. You have such vision and style–and taste! Love these. Just wanted to let you know this post does not aoppear on the “table of contents” page for the flip. I found it via a link on the Before and after page for the Master Bath.

You guys are inspiring. Good luck with the next one!
    Alana in Canada´s last blog post ..The Horrid Bathroom