Before & After: The Master Bath

First of all, a big thanks to the always fabulous Kate for including our flip in her Best of the Blogosphere feature on Sunday!!

The before and after tour of the flip continues with the master bathroom!  (Click to check out the kitchen / dining room and family room.)

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

It seems like builders in the 70s were really into chopping up master bathrooms into tiny little rooms.  For example, this master bath was divided into separate spaces for “his” vanity, “his” closet, the shower & toilet, “her” vanity and “her” closet – that’s 5 rooms!

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

We knew we wanted to open up the space but we didn’t want to blow our budget rearranging all of the fixtures, so we just took down the doorways between the “his” and “her” vanity areas and the shower/toilet room.  We also converted the tub into a walk-in shower clad entirely in carrera marble.

The Flip is For Sale

( Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography )

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Before & After: The Master Bath

To me, the bathroom looks a little stark right now but I think it will warm up once the new owner(s) start living in it and have a chance to add their personal touches.

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Before & After: The Master Bath

Sorry for all the glare on the shower, it’s pretty much impossible to photograph!

Take a "Before" Tour of Our Third Flip

Before & After: The Master Bath

We were able to save the cabinetry, which was also a huge savings.

We added giant sheet mirrors to bounce more light around the space since it doesn’t get much natural light.

Before & After: The Master Bath

We definitely spent less on this bathroom that the master bathroom at the last flip, but I think the result is just as snazzy.  We accomplished this by using porcelain tile on the floor instead of a natural stone, reusing the cabinetry and keeping the layout the same.  What do you guys think?

All photographs taken by me, unless indicated as “Courtesy of Lance Hames Photography.”

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

Wow, it’s just BEAUTIFUL. I would LOVE for that to be my bathroom! :)
    Stephanie´s last blog post ..Ready for Fall

2. I LOVE the bathroom. The shower is the showstopper, but I also kind of love the floor tile. It reminds me of grass cloth wallpaper, but not too much. It is lovely!

I think it’s absolutely STUNNING and I know Matt and I would LOVE to have a bathroom like that. Our “master” bath is five feet by three. Including the shower stall, toilet and sink. Yeah, it’s stinkin’ small. But at least it’s in our bedroom!!! Our kids’ bathroom is easily twice the size of ours. That HAS to change in our new house – whenever we move!!!

4. Karen says:

That bathroom is absolutely gorgeous & I love the marble. Any tips on a good place to buy it from for a good price? Lowes, HD, etc? You guys are really talented & did a great job! Karen
    Karen´s last blog post ..Campaign Desk

I don’t know if you have it in your area, but Floor & Decor in Dallas is a fab place for tile!

5. The tile in the bathroom is gorgeous! It’s a fabulous bathroom.

6. Lara says:

What is the tile on the floor? I am looking at something quite similar for my kitchen and maybe this is for a better cost. Very pretty.

It’s a 12×24 linen finish porcelain tile – I’m not sure of the manufacturer. Hope that helps!

7. Congrats on the mention from Centsational Girl. You deserve all the attention.

8. Love it! We just completed something veeeeery similar in our master bathroom today as well! Check it out!

Lindsay@Tell’er All About It´s last blog post ..Before & After Bliss: Our Monster Master Bathroom Renovation

9. Lauren says:

Dear Liz, Can I buy your house please? I think I might like Texas. Will I need a big, beautiful truck to match the big, beautiful bathroom? Let me know. I can move in tomorrow. Thanks, Lauren
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Mouse poo: not good for you

10. Jo says:

Dear Liz, thank you for the great pics. So different from the original – really open space

11. Christy says:

Its fabulous! Where did you get that amazing shade pendant light fixture?!

Overstock! It comes with a crystal under the shade but we didn’t wind up using that part.

12. Every time I stop over here I am so impressed with your work. We’re still hanging out in no man’s land waiting for permits. Seeing you before and after gets me excited for our work. Thanks for inspiration!

13. Stephan Hilson says:

Your master bathroom looked very nice and cozy. I observed that mirrors could really make the impression that there are a lot of space and lights since it could help widening the space and reflects the lights more. It is nice that you are able to save much because you retain the cabinetry. Using porcelain tile on the floor turned the room into a new and fresh bathroom.

14. Demi says:

I really like what you did with the bathroom it looks very nice now and you should not change a thing about it. I only got one question. How did you design the bathroom this way?

15. sapir says:

i love the clean and simple look in the bathroom. beautiful designs!

16. Carolyne O. says:

Hope you’re ok! Love following all you do.

17. Darryl says:

That’s some incredibly high quality work in there. I’m sure it was a lot of hard work but well worth the payoff.

18. Karen says:

Wow. Looks amazing! Really clean looking. Love it =]
    Karen´s last blog post ..The final countdown: Part 2

19. Larissa says:

Great work!!! I love it! it gives your bathroom this great fresh feeling! enjoy it!
    Larissa´s last blog post ..Hottest Nail Colors for summer 2011

20. Claire says:

it looks amazing!!! the tiles really make it look bigger! i would like some more color though. are you going to paint at all?
    Claire´s last blog post ..Featured Wedding of the Week: Vintage Estate Soiree

21. Pool Heaters says:

Wow Such A nice master bathrooms I like it very very much and want that I also have bathroom like this in my home :) Thank you for sharing such an informative post with us.

22. Kataydee says:

Wow! This is absolutely stunning! Can you come flip a house in Iowa please???
    Kataydee´s last blog post ..Need Your Input: Exterior Brick Options

23. Jill Helman says:

Where are you Liz?? I miss your posts! Hope all is okay!

24. Sandra says:

I could spend a lot of time in that kind of bathroom. I like its calming effect and it is just perfect if I want to have some time alone. Alright, I have decided that my next project would be to have the exact bathroom.

25. Janis says:

Still checking daily, hoping for an update… so miss your flippin’ blog!

26. where’d you go? You haven’t posted in a while. Hope all is well?

27. Really stunning design of the bathroom and it’s surrounding.It looks great.The materials and the color for renovating is suitable one.The work is outstanding work .

28. Larissa says:

It’s gorgeous! I love it. your bathroom looks so fresh and modern!
    Larissa´s last blog post ..How to Look Natural MakeUp Tips

29. lucinda says:

Hope all is well…miss your posts.

30. This bathroom is crazytown! I love it. By the way, are you going to come back to us soon??

31. What a lovely job

32. Leslie says:

I love the colors and the tranquility of the new bathroom. The new storage and cabinets look great.