Nursery Progress: Paint!

I know I said that I was going to wait until I got everything into the nursery before I decided whether to paint the walls, but . . . I lied.

Nursery Progress: Paint!

( I know, I look gross.  And I’m hoping my hair normally looks better than that.  And in case any of my college peeps are reading this, yes – I’m wearing the “Wake Forest University…where fun comes to die” T-shirt. Hehe. )

This past Saturday, during an epic Ikea run, my mom and I were talking about my plans for the nursery and it was decided that the original tan walls just wouldn’t do – even if it was a perfect, professional paint job done less than two years ago after our “adventure” with the wood floors.

So even though we were exhausted from our shopping extravaganza (life is tough), we went back to my house to flip through my fan decks and find a color, then we hoofed it to Home Depot to pick up two gallons of pink paint.  Once we got back and started putting it on the walls . . . I may have had a minor heart attack.

Several major heart attacks might be more accurate.

My patient, patient mother – she talked me down off the ledge when I started freaking out that the pink was too “pink” (you see, I had been envisioning a “barely there” pink, like white with a hint of color).  How could this happen?!?  I had picked the lightest shade on the card!

When we had just part of the first coat up and the original tan paint was still peeking through it looked pretty scary.  After assuring me that we could always change the color if I truly hated it, she advised me to power through and finish the paint job before I gave my final verdict.

We called it a night when most of the first coat was finished.  I went to bed completely stressed that the nursery I had envisioned for months was going to look insane.  (Do you think I might have been getting a little dramatic?!?)  I woke up and painted the second coat, and guess what?

I loved it.

And I still love it.  And Jason loves it.  And even though our little girl probably won’t give a fig about the paint color I imagine that she’s going to love it, too.  :)

Nursery Progress: Paint!

This picture really doesn’t do the paint justice – it’s the perfect shade of pink, despite my initial freak-out.  Sweet and light, not purple-y at all (if anything it leans towards coral), and it’s just a beautiful and crisp color.  Hopefully it will look great once everything is in the room!

And in case you’re curious, the paint color is Silk Sheets by Behr (I know, it sounds a little scandalous for a baby’s room) in a flat finish in the no-VOC formula.

Nursery Progress: Paint!

What about you guys?  Had any paint freak-outs lately?  :)

Comments

The pink looks perfect!! So does the dresser and crib, and you look adorable!! :)

2. Kate says:

Liz – I’ve been reading your blog for over a year and never realized you went to Wake! I’m an ‘05 grad – also expecting a little girl in a little over a week! I’m loving all your nursery updates – can’t wait to see how it all comes together!

Small world!! Congrats on your little girl, I’m sending good vibes your way. :) And how fun about Wake – I graduated in ‘03 so we would have overlapped a little!

3. Jen Rames says:

You look so cute!! Love the paint job. Hoping I can sneak in for a tour next weekend! :)

4. Erin says:

I love that shade of pink – it’s the perfect pink! Right now I’m in the midst of designing my daughter’s “big girl room” and I absolutely cannot decide what color to paint her room. I was dead set on a light blue-gray but now all of a sudden I’m not sure about it. Argh!

5. Holiday says:

Hoo boy, did I have a pink freak out. I chose Wild Aster by Benjamin Moore and on the card it practically white. On the walls, wow, I was just not prepared for the amount of pink. People say I’m nuts and that it’s very tame, but I still get a little overwhelmed. It’s just not my color. I tried very hard to tame it by bringing in some neutrals. If you want to see my inspiration photo and where I landed, click on over. http://tiny.cc/5mb0y or http://tiny.cc/5d1qz

I think it looks great! But TRUST ME, I totally relate to the paint freak-out! :)

6. That is a perfect shade of pink!

7. that is the perfect subtlest pink!

8. Oooooooh Silk Sheets, IS barely pink, how divine! You look adorable standing there with your paint roller and, dare I say it, bare feet and pregnant! Can’t wait to see it all come together, it will be lovely!
    xo
    Kate

That just made me laugh, I hadn’t realized I was fulfilling the stereotype! Ha!

First of all, why in the world would you ever describe your pregnant-self as looking gross! You are just about the opposite of gross! You are beautiful :) Love the shade of pink. Pink is a very calming color. Your little girl will love it … even if she doesn’t know it :)

• Katrina says:

Love your blog ~ I’m a new follower via GFC :)

You’re sweet, thanks for the kind words! Ha, I’m definitely okay with the pregnant-looking part (although it does take some getting used to!), it was more the rest of what I had going on with the outfit and hair – but hey, sometimes that’s as good as it gets! :)

10. Lyndsey says:

I would have to agree that is the perfect shade of pink. I personally laugh when I find of paint color that I love and it has a weird name.

11. That looks adorable, as do you! I can’t wait till we buy a house next year so I can finally starting painting walls instead of furniture.

12. What a sweeeet pink for a sweet baby girl!

13. Nicole says:

I somehow have missed several of your last pots – something was wrong with my reader. So late congrats on your daugther! You will LOVE having a girl!!!