New Windows at the Flip

Did I tell you that we put new windows in at the flip?  They were installed last week and I am obsessed with how they turned out!

We scoped out houses around the neighborhood that had the same or similarly colored brick and they all had white or almond colored window frames – and I thought that looked kind of yucky.  So I took a leap of faith and we ordered windows with bronze frames instead, and I totally think it was the right call!

Here’s how the house looked (from the listing photo) when we bought it, with old windows and iron bars:

Time For Another Flip?

And here’s a glimpse of how the house looks with the shiny new bronze windows:

New Windows at the Flip

It obviously still has a long way to go, but don’t the new windows look nice?

Here’s a closeup:

New Windows at the Flip

Say hi to the pregnant lady!

And here’s another before and after:

Time For Another Flip?

New Windows at the Flip

Better, right?

We also switched out this ginormous window for an awesome new slider.  Access to the new deck!  (You can see an in-progress photo of the deck here.)

Time For Another Flip?

An action shot of the new slider going in . . .

New Windows at the Flip

And there it is!  The photos are horrible since everything is back lit (hopefully we’ll actually have light bulbs in the recessed lights soon), but you get the idea.  In person, the slider lets in so much light!

New Windows at the Flip

It even has a nifty sliding screen so that you can leave the slider open without letting out pets or letting in bugs.  I’m trying to show you the screen in the photo below . . . ooh, and you can get a pretty good view of the deck!

New Windows at the Flip

Remember how the kitchen looked before?

Time For Another Flip?

Well it’s looking a little crazy right now, but you can see how the end of the kitchen was framed in to create a laundry room.  It’s going to be awesome.

New Windows at the Flip

And finally, no renovation post is complete without a photo or two of the carnage.  Those poor old windows didn’t stand a chance.

New Windows at the Flip New Windows at the Flip

When replaced the windows in our own home last summer I was shocked by what a big difference it made in how the house looked – and I think the flip is getting that same benefit.  Hopefully buyers will agree!  Have you replaced the windows in your house?

Comments

1. Nicole says:

Neat! A lot better than your house looking like a jail. :)
    By the way, I tagged you in a little fun blog questionnaire that I was tagged in. If you’re interested, check it out but no pressure!

2. Mary says:

I love the new windows. They will serve as inspiration for other people driving by who seek inspiration!
    Those windows caused an instant boost to the curb appeal. They suggest a high quality home…and owners with good taste.

3. Wow! I love the bronze – it looks so good! A really big impact. And since windows are such a large expense, it’s awesome that you picked something that really stands out. What will you do for interior trim? I’m just excited to see the bronze with trimwork.

Trimwork would look great . . . but all of these houses just have drywall returns instead of trim – I know, it sounds crazy! It’s that way in our house, and most of the other local homes of this era. We could, of course, add trim but it hasn’t seemed to be necessary for resale so we skip it. Boring, I know!

4. Wow, those dark windows are to die for! I have never seen anyone use those before. They are stunning and so much better than standard white.

5. Emily says:

Love the windows! Did you know you can actually donate a lot of your old building materials to Restore by Habitat for Humanity? Of course you don’t want to donate anything that’s rotten but if they’re in good shape when removed it’s a nice way to keep on keepin’ on. Just a thought! :)

Emily

Yes, and thanks for the suggestion! These weren’t salvageable after removal – ha, and if something IS in good enough shape to keep then we usually do just keep it. But I will keep that in mind!

6. ShannonU says:

You ABSOLUTELY made the right choice with the bronze color! So many homes in our older neighborhood have darker brick and the owners have gone with white replacement windows. UGH! My husband and I shake our heads at this, deeply confused. Are the white ones cheaper or something?
    Love the slider, too!

7. Your window choice is perfect. As a commercial door supplier we see unfortunate window choices. People will redo their homes, but keeping the renovations on the outer facade matching the rest of exterior. Home renovation is more of a process than homeowners realize.

8. Love the windows – they really give the house a great distinctive look. But I also really love what your’e doing with the laundry room. That will be such a fabulous change for the kitchen. We just did the same thing for what was a utility/power room in our flip – and it made all the difference in changing the character of the space. Check it out -http://sopocottage.blogspot.com/2012/02/serenity-amongst-chaos-in-powder-room.html

Can’t wait to see what you do next!