Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

Woohoo!!  Since this flip is shorter on space than our past flips we’ve made a few changes to the layout to make it more functional.  You can see the original floor plan that we started out with . . .

before.floor plan.4th flip

. . . and below you can see how we made some big changes to the full bath, 1/2 bath (now the master bath), a bunch of closets, and some interior walls.

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

But the area that might have seen the biggest changes of all is probably the kitchen.  Some of the improvements are obvious from the diagram above, but some are a little more subtle so I thought I’d lay them out for you here.  So far, we have:

• made use of a seriously weird space at the end of the kitchen to create a laundry room
  • moved the washer and dryer hookups out of the kitchen and into the laundry room
  • moved the water heater out of the kitchen and into the attic
  • closed up a doorway between the kitchen and what is now the home office (allowing us to add more cabinet space)
  • widened the doorway between the kitchen and the den
  • created a peninsula for casual dining
  • moved the fridge so that we had room for the peninsula
  • reconfigured and reused 90% of the existing cabinetry
  • had our cabinet guy make a fridge box (reusing existing doors), an undercounter box for the microwave with a drawer beneath, a peninsula, small shelves for cookbooks, and floating shelves for either side of the range hood

But enough chatting.  Ready to actually see the changes?

This is now the view from the front door:

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

Much better than the solid wall you used to see:

Time For Another Flip?

And this is the view from the den looking into the kitchen:

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

As you can see from this photo from the listing, the kitchen used to be totally cut off from the rest of the house:

Time For Another Flip?

And remember how I said we closed up that door between the kitchen and office (and also removed the furrdown)?

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

That was so we could make that wall of the kitchen look like this!!  The range and range hood will go right in the middle, and that empty box to the left of the range is for the microwave.

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

Here’s another angle for your viewing pleasure.  All of that cabinetry on the wall with the window (and the lower cabinetry in the inside corner) was already there when we bought the house.  Score!  This is the first time we’ve ever had kitchen cabinetry that was worth saving.

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

All of these cabinets were there, too.  However, we did rearrange them a bit by removing a box for an above-counter microwave and a cabinet above that (if I’m not making sense you can see what it looked like in this post) and then scooting those last 3 cabinets to the left to close up the gap.

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

Here’s a view from the kitchen into the new laundry room (which has a pocket door):

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

This house totally needed that laundry room.  The makeshift laundry area that was previously in the kitchen was beyond whack.  See what I mean?

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

And with the water heater, washer and dryer all moved out of the kitchen, we were able to relocate the fridge and add this peninsula:

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

I thought it was important (although maybe a little unorthodox) to have the space for the bar stools on the kitchen side of the peninsula.  You see, the den is on the small side and I didn’t want a counter top overhang and then bar stools stealing even more floor space from the den.  Since the kitchen is plenty wide it just made sense to put the knee space on that side!

Kitchen Cabinets at the Flip

I’m really happy with the way the kitchen is shaping up, counter top drama aside.  What do you think of the new layout in there – do you think it will work for future buyers?

Comments

Definitely! And ooh la la – a pocket door! Was that super expensive to have installed? I love them so much. I think the open shelving is going to be brilliant too. Not confusing at all – and totally LOVE all your design decisions. It’s all coming together so fast. You guys are real pros. Bravo!!!

Thanks, Christy!! And actually, the pocket door wasn’t expensive at all – I was surprised! This was our first time using pocket doors and we actually now have two in this house – 1 for the laundry room and 1 for the master bathroom. I think the key to keeping the cost down was the fact that those walls were being re-framed anyway – otherwise we would have had to pay to re-frame a perfectly good wall.

2. I love all the changes! Now the house just makes sense. Can’t wait to see future progress.

3. Rachel says:

Love all the changes, Liz! Actually (depending on the literal size of the den), I can totally see it becoming the dining room because of proximity to the kitchen and deck, and the formal dining room become the den area because of the fire place! Anyhoo…it looks great and I can just see a lovely young couple moving into their first home. Can’t wait to see it all finished!

It’s so funny that you said that because my husband and I actually thought that for the very first time just the other day. :) We might have to play around a bit with staging to see how it works best, but I like that the floor plan could go either way!

4. The new layout makes so much more sense! Getting rid of all those tiny closets and extra doors will really help open things up. I love the new opening between the kitchen, DR, and LR. With the laundry room on the end and the open shelving that kitchen looks like a whole new space!

5. The changes to the layout are so smart. I’m loving the open shelving in the kitchen – swooning a little over here. And I’m also a huge fan of the laundry room. Number one priority in the next house – we need a designated laundry space on the first floor. So, mostly, I am jealous.

6. Maggie says:

I enjoy reading about your flips ! that is something I always wanted to do –but it is much easier to read about yours ;-)

I was wondering where the closet for the Master is now that you made the BR larger?

Hey! It’s probably hard to tell from the floor plans, but in the revised layout we actually stole a closet from the den and added it to the existing closet in the master bedroom so it makes up for the 2nd closet that we lost by enlarging the bathroom. :)

7. this is so much more functional now!! i love the new layout…it’s going to be so much more seamless for a new buyer. Can’t wait to see the rest of the finishes come together!

8. Samantha says:

Liz, I love it! I just can’t believe how much you guys have changed the look already – and the house isn’t even done yet! So much fun! I love following along with your homes. Thank you for the inspiration!

9. Nice job opening up the kitchen with the peninsula, though you could have “flipped” the configuration without the countertop hanging into the den. Essentially, you have a box that can be “flipped” 180 degrees. Just add some door panels on the “half wall” to make the “box” look like cabinets inside the kitchen space.

The laundry room is a great addition. That will definitely help in your selling efforts!

Gurdon

True that there doesn’t have to be an overhang, but we still didn’t want the bar stools intruding into the den – we’re trying to work every square inch in that sucker. :)

10. Susannah says:

Everything looks great! Love all the layout changes, especially in the kitchen! And it’s so smart to put the knee room on the kitchen side. That way when people are sitting there they can see the TV in the den, not have their backs to it!

11. jenn says:

Impressive! I’ve seen the finished look too and it looks amazing. I’m about to embark on my own whole house reno project and I’m curious if it was expensive to move that water heater? is it full size one? Thanks!

Hey! A big factor impacting cost will be where you move the water heater – straight up into the attic, across the house, outside to the garage? In our case we were moving it basically just straight up and the change wasn’t cost prohibitive at all. However, we had constraints with the height of the attic and we had to opt for an electric “fat boy” water heater that is short and squatty rather than a gas heater that is tall and skinny (even though they have the same capacity). Not a big deal, but it meant that we couldn’t re-use the water heater. Hope that helps!