Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

Now that we’re just about 5 weeks away from the (much anticipated) arrival of our baby girl, Jason and I thought that this past weekend was the perfect time to hop in the car for an impromptu road trip to the Hill Country of central Texas – and we had an awesome time!

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

We left Friday morning and expected to get to Fredericksburg around lunchtime, after stopping in West at the Czech Stop (a must!!!) for kolaches.  However, that was a little ambitious and we didn’t actually roll into town until around 2:30 – luckily I had made some gnarly CDs to keep us entertained.  :)  We picked up the keys to our B&B from the property management company and hopped back in the car to head to the Alamo Springs Cafe, a little joint we learned about from my sister and her husband.

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

Apparently every biker within a thousand mile radius had also heard about the famous burgers at the Alamo Springs Cafe because that place was crawling with Harleys.  We were lucky to find a table, where we chowed down on krusty fries (french fries deep fried in a chipotle batter – yum!!), homemade chips, and the best cheeseburgers ever.  We may have overdone it a bit!  The Cafe is run by some salty Hill Country folk, and the food is so good that I didn’t even mind ignoring the fact that the owner was chain-smoking in the kitchen.  :)

Our next stop was Luckenbach, the coolest little “town” in Texas.  Nowadays it’s a tiny country music paradise, where you can drink Lone Star beer under shade trees filled with chickens (it’s true!) while you listen to live country music played by anyone from up-and-comers to the truly famous.

The old post office and general store is pretty much the only original building still standing.

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

I was a little jealous of Jason’s frosty beverage.  :)

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

Jimmy Davis and Jed Zimmerman were playing – they were awesome and I loved all of their songs, even though I didn’t know a single one.

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

We had such a great time, and I can’t think of a better way to spend the afternoon.  Here are a few more snippets from our time in Luckenbach.  (And you can see that I wasn’t kidding about the chickens in the trees!)

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

We left Luckenbach and finally got to scope out our B&B, which was right above a pizzeria.  I was blown away!!  Jason did all of the planning for the trip so I had no idea what to expect, and we were both in love with the high ceilings (at least 12 feet) and the gigantic living room.  It felt like a house!  We were totally spoiled.

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

I can’t lie – other than enjoying a tasty dinner, we did spend part of our evening trying to track down a gas station that sold lottery tickets.  After many unsuccessful attempts we were able to buy a few tickets – only to be shocked that we didn’t win $640 million.  So sad, ha!

We hopped up Saturday morning and strolled through all the shops in Fredericksburg – it’s such a cute town and we had a great time.  Then we headed out to Wildseed Farms – it had caught my eye on the drive in to Fredericksburg the day before with its fields of gorgeous poppies.  It was a fun stop and there were lots of beautiful flowers to admire, and we even bought a giant sack of cosmo seeds that we planted in the backyard last night – we’ll see how they turn out!

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

Fredericksburg and the surrounding areas are chock full of wineries – and even though only half of our duo can enjoy wine these days, stopping at a winery was a total must.  Jason enjoyed a pinot noir from Becker Vineyards at dinner the night before, so that’s where we decided to stop.  The grounds and buildings were totally charming, and I’m told that the wines were quite tasty.  :)

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

Just ten bucks got Jason a tasting of 7 wines and a cool souvenir wine glass, so he was a happy camper.  They also had live music – all of the musicians looked completely miserable, but they were actually pretty good.

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

Naturally, a few wines had to come home with us.  :)

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

The main tasting room was really gorgeous, and we made sure to check out the lavender field before we left.

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

Our second night was spent in Austin – even though it’s known for it’s nightlife, music and outdoor adventures, we were there for the food.  We hit up our favorite patio for dinner, then called it a night after enjoying a little room service dessert while we watched one of the Final Four games – such a ridiculous luxury that made this pregnant chick very happy.

Our Last Hurrah Before Baby

After breakfast the next morning at the best hole in the wall for breakfast tacos, we hit the road to head back home!

Our last hurrah was so relaxing and we had the best time just hanging out with each other and wandering around the Hill Country with lots of good food and entertainment.  We’re hoping to do it again next March, but with a baby in tow.  :)

Did you have a last hurrah before baby?

Comments

1. Jojo says:

A trip to Hill Country when the Bluebonnets are blooming is on my travel list. Looks like a great trip!!

2. Jen Rames says:

What a fabulous weekend!! I will have to check out Alamo Springs Cafe and those fries sometime. Wildseed farms looks amazing, I bet you saw lots of gorgeous wildflowers on the way down. I haven’t been to Juan in a Million in forever! Yum!

I totally thought of you guys at Juan in a Million – and it made me crave some Panchito’s!!! I’ll have to come down to SA sometime and make that happen. :)

3. Megan says:

omg -I live in San Antonio and my hubby and I made a little trip to Fredericksburg/Wildseed Farms/Becker Vineyards on Saturday! Crazy! :)

4. UGH, not drinking is such a drag. Looks like you had a great time regardless! We don’t have any trips planned, not sure we will do anything.

I can’t lie, I missed drinking more this weekend than at any other time in the past 35 weeks – next time we do this trip my hubby gets to be the DD, no negotiating on this point. :)

5. Sandy says:

My husband and I have a house in Fbg – we live in Houston now but hope to move this year. Next time you go during bluebonnet season, be sure to go on the Willow City Loop. The flowers are breathtakingly beautiful!

Ooh, thanks for the tip, Sandy! Lucky duck to have a house in Fredericksburg. :)

6. Nicole Marie says:

In the last 3 years of being married, I have been introduced to the Czech Shop in West! The kolaches are SO GOOD! We always stop there on the way to Killeen to visit my in- laws. I’ve never been to Fredericksburg, but now you’ve peaked my interest! The hill country is always such a fun getaway! Too bad you didn’t get to stop in San Marcos – they have a great Pottery Barn Kids outlet!

If my husband hadn’t been with me I can GUARANTEE I would have stopped at San Marcos!! :) I decided to spare him, though. And yes, I totally recommend Fredericksburg – the town itself is cute, but it’s really all of the fun stuff around it that makes it such a great getaway.

You look darling!!! :) Hard to believe your almost due! :)

Thanks, Katrina! You’ll notice that none of the photos featured my ankles – that was not an accident. :)

8. Lisa says:

we had a little weekend getaway right before we had our third kid….my in laws kept the older two boys (and my middle child was going through a phase where he never slept AT ALL), and we drove 2 hours to NYC, checked into a hotel, and I slept for two days. I woke up for breakfast, lunch and dinner at fancy restaurants, and then went back to the hotel for a nap in between. My husband watched two days of sporting events on tv. Looks like you had a more rollicking time than we did :-)

Ha, I can totally see the appeal of that kind of vacation while pregnant! Sounds like a good time to me. :)

9. Hey Liz! That area is beautiful, eh? Next time you have to go a bit further and stay in Austin. I just moved from there just over a year ago and there are SO SO many amazing places to eat and festivals to attend. My hubby and I also went out to eat as much as possible before our baby girl was born. She’s nearly 6 months now and surprisingly it hasn’t been as much of a social drain as we thought…as long as you make it a point to bring the baby into your life, not the other way around. At least that’s helped us. Sorry for the novel!