Finished Flip Photos: The Kitchen

You guys, the flip is FOR SALE!!!!

Even though our fourth flip was the smallest project that we’ve tackled, it still needed tons of work – opening up walls, gutting bathrooms, moving the furnace, tearing down a nasty addition, creating a laundry room, and all sorts of other fun goodies.  When we bought the flip in the beginning of February we hoped it would be just a two-month project but it turned into almost 3 months – but that’s okay because we were still able to get it listed and start having showings before our little girl arrives – whew!

Now that the flip is all shiny and finished, want to take a little tour?

Let’s start in the kitchen – you might remember our original kitchen design plan and then the little snafu which forced us to take a slightly different route with the counter tops.  We also made some changes to the layout in the kitchen but we were able to re-use most of the existing cabinetry (which was amazing – there are even pullouts in the lower cabinets!).  The finishing touch was to add wood floors to the kitchen so that the rich oak flooring flows throughout the entire house.

Check out the final results!

Finished Flip Photos: The Kitchen

It’s amazing how a little rearranging and a coat of white paint really updated the cabinets.  We opted for floating shelves on the range wall for an open, airy feel and I love how they turned out!

Time For Another Flip?

You can barely see it because of the light coming through the window, but there’s a gorgeous glass pendant floating above the sink.  I love it!

Finished Flip Photos: The Kitchen

From this angle you can see the new laundry room and the cabinetry that will house the fridge.

Finished Flip Photos: The Kitchen

Can you believe that space at the end of the kitchen used to be unused, and that the washer and dryer were stuck under those ugly white cabinets on the right-hand side of the kitchen?  Craziness!

Time For Another Flip?

By moving the plumbing and framing in a laundry room we were able to create a much more functional layout (and a breakfast bar!).

Demolition Progress

Ah, you can finally catch a glimpse of the pendant in this photo.  And the penny tile turned out great!

Finished Flip Photos: The Kitchen

Demolition Progress

Finished Flip Photos: The Kitchen

Framing in that door between the office and kitchen turned out to be a great move, I think.  I love being able to have a balanced look on either side of the range, and there’s quick access to the office and dining room just to the left of the kitchen.

Demolition Progress

All in all, I love this kitchen.  It turned out to be a sunny, fresh space with lots of fun touches, from the penny tile to the industrial faucet to the floating shelves – and one of my favorite things is the hardware on the cabinets, a last minute switcheroo due to shipping delays that definitely turned out for the best.  It’s funny how those things work out!

Finished Flip Photos: The Kitchen

I’ll show you how the rest of the house turned out next week!  In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

1. Rebecca says:

Gorgeous! You really have a talent for making ugly ducklings turn into beautiful, stylish swans!

Thanks Rebecca! We definitely feel SO lucky to get to do this for a living!

2. deb says:

Looks gorgeous!

3. This looks amazing! Can’t wait to see the rest of the photos!! I’m wondering if that really is a real drawer just under the sink or faux. Also I’m wondering what the new owners will use those 3 open cabinets on the bottom left of the stove.

Good questions! The drawer under the sink is a flip-down drawer front so that someone could store a cleaning sponge there if they wanted (part of the original design of the kitchen, not something we added). As for the open cabinets to the left of the stove, the largest cabinet closest to the stove is for an undercounter microwave, and the ones on the far left are for cookbooks, serving platters, etc.

4. Meredith says:

WOW!! Love the penny tile backsplash! Great style!

5. Gorgeous! You should come flip houses in my area, because I’d buy it!

6. ERin says:

I know you’ve mentioned it before but I can’t remember … what is the countertop material? As usual, an incredible improvement! That kitchen will sell that house, for sure!

Fingers crossed! :) The counter tops are Bianco Romano granite – they’re mainly gray and white, with lots of flecks of burgundy and a few flashes of blue at some angles. Hope that helps!

7. Justine says:

Wow, looks fantastic! Can’t wait to see the rest!

8. Megan says:

Just came across your blog from a google search and I’m in love! Keep up the great work!!!

9. Susannah says:

The kitchen looks amazing! It’s amazing what some paint and granite counters and awesome backsplash can do to update a space! Um, and I am IN LOVE with your hardware! I think that was an excellent snafu because it looks amazing! Where is it from?? I want some!

10. samantha says:

O M GOOOOOSSSSHHHHH!!!!

love love love luuuurrrrve it!!!! wow, totally blown away!

so, i have to ask – any chance the original owners will come take a look at this? i really wonder how blown away they would be to see the amazing difference. really! if that was my house that i sold, i would totally be interested in seeing it.

wow! just totally blown away, liz! and i can’t wait to see the rest!

and congrats getting it on the market before baby arrives.

btw, if you don’t mind me asking – what is the difference in price between you buying it and what you listed the newly done home for? not the actual listing price…just wondering the difference in price! whatever it is, you totally deserve it and i hope you have multiple bidders!

Thanks, Samantha!! :) You know, I’m not sure if the original owner will see it – I’m guessing not, but you never know! Some of her relatives did walk through during construction, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they swung by at some point to see the finished result.

As for the difference in price, I’ll have to think about that! I’ll probably do some sort of post about it eventually, but I’m a little hesitant to get into all of that. We’ll see!

11. Looks delicious! You very well may have just helped me nail down some decisions when we build. Some of your choices are very similar to things I’ve been eyeing for our kitchen and/ or maybe a bath and it great to see them all put together in real life!

12. AMAZING transformation! I love how fresh, bright and modern it looks! The tile is fantastic too. You did a wonderful job!!

13. Beautiful! Wish I could have you come do my house!

14. Rug Rats says:

All I can say is Wow! How did you do that guys? I really love the transformation! Great job ;-)

15. I love the hex tile. I find white tile with darker grout unexpectedly appealing.
    The faucet is great too…

16. I can hardly believe it’s the same room. Wow! The white is so nice and I love all the details. I’m particularly smitten with the countertops and sink. Great idea to move that odd arrangement from the washer/dryer around.

17. Laurie says:

HI!

Great job on the kitchen! I’m curious if the cabinets are laminate or real wood? My new home’s refaced kitchen is sort of the same color but with more gray in it – yuck. Am hoping it’s ideal to paint those suckers although I feel bad about the new doors before we do the big remodel in a few years. Hope it sells fast!

Hello! Yes, the cabinets are real wood so they painted up very nicely. Good luck with yours!!

18. Marta S says:

You are an absolute inspiration! I’d love to one day delve into my longtime dream of flipping homes, but I know it’s an arena into which I must tread VERY CAREFULLY. You make me believe it’s possible.

Can I ask where you bought the hardware in this kitchen?

19. Felicity says:

Hardware certainly goes a long way toward updating the cabinets. I’ve repainted dressers and the hardware completes the package.

20. Celeste says:

Hey Liz!
    I LOVE your blog and have a few friends following it as well….I don’t know how I found it but so happy I did. I have a question about your penny tile above (love this kitchen).
    1. Would you do the penny tile and same grout in a small bathroom but on the floor?
    2. If so, can you tell me where you got the white penny tile from….I am in Atlanta but willing to order, etc.

I am following you on Pinterest too….please keep pinning so I can keep stealing….and congrats on the new baby (ok, now I sound like a stalker).

Thanks!
    Celeste

21. silver price says:

in our case, the laundry room is an addition, and not a very well built one. the kitchen floor had 1/4″ particle board underlayment, which had gotten wet, and swelled. between the two, our choices were to completely redo the floor, put in a laminate floor, or buy fix-all by the case. we went with the laminate, and ultimately ended up paying for installation (the original plan was to DIY it, but we ran out of time) it was a one day install, and my only complaint is that we have our sister-in-law do weekly housekeeping for us, and she uses a swiffer wetjet on it, which really only redistributes the dinginess in an even layer. the laminate smoothes over all the irregularities, and we have had no problem with water damage. (we do wipe up spills, of course) I have subsequently heard that many new laminate floors are not subject to water damage like the earlier ones were, so that is reassurring.