Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

I’ve been dying to show you guys these photos of the dining room, office and den at our fourth flip – the new open floor plan turned out so great!!  (If you’re just tuning in now, you can check out finished photos of the kitchen here and the master suite here, and a recap of the entire renovation here.)

When you walk into the house the first thing you see is the dining room, which is a fun balance of chic and cozy thanks to the capiz chandelier and fireplace.

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

I’m so glad that we ditched the formal living room in favor of turning it into a dining room – and that meant that the old dining room became a home office!

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

You can see from the photo below what a difference opening up the walls made, and of course removing the old carpet so we could refinish those awesome oak floors.

Time For Another Flip?

I think I could get some work done in this office!  :)

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

The two photos below really show what a difference that big opening between the dining room and den made – look at all of that light!!

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

And creating that opening also let us close up the funky doorways between the office/kitchen and hallway/den.  Much better.

Time For Another Flip?

All of the sunlight kind of keeps this photo from being all that great . . .

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

. . . but I just had to show you the new view from the front door!  (Yes, that wall really was all up in your grill the second you walked in the door!)

Time For Another Flip?

And now onto the den.  We had an open house over the weekend and it was awesome to see the house flowing exactly as we had envisioned – there were no weird bottlenecks, and all of the rooms had such a great connection.

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

I especially love the wider opening between the kitchen and den, which was achieved by moving the washer/dryer to the new laundry room and relegating the water heater to the attic.

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

Much better than before!!

Time For Another Flip?

We chose to keep the paneling instead of replacing it with drywall, and I think the overall look works – I was worried that it would feel a little too traditional or outdated but I think all the modern touches throughout the house give it a nice balance.

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

Time For Another Flip?

Probably the best change that we made overall was replacing that window (above) with a huge glass slider so that the den is now connected to the backyard (instead of just being able to access the yard through the kitchen).  The floor plan just didn’t make sense before!!

Finished Flip Photos: The Dining Room, Office and Den!

So there you have it!!  Did everything turn out how you thought it would?  I’d love to hear what you think!

Scope out all four of our flips here.

Comments

1. Meredith says:

It looks FANTASTIC! I love the open concept, especially for a smaller home

2. Lucinda says:

Liz
    Looks great! Will you post when you do your first open house? Would love to see it in person.

Lucinda

Hey Lucinda! We actually had one on Sunday, and it was a success!! I actually don’t think we’ll be doing any more . . . but I’ll keep you posted!! :)

3. kathy says:

the slider doors made a world of difference! definitely my fave part of the space

4. Wow! It looks amazing! I love the idea of a fireplace in the dining room and the chandy is fabulous. The open layout is so amazing.

5. So smart to put in the siding door in the living room, so smart to open up the kitchen wall, so smart to leave the paneling and paint it white. I love all the choices you guys have made!

The office is at a great location and if I lived there, I would add an expedit between the dining room and office to act as a divider and that would be just perfect.

I bet… another quick sale, am I right?

I really love the new layout so much fresher and pretty!! The kitchen is amazing!

7. nora says:

looks great! very pretty!

8. deb says:

You guys do great work!!

9. Jamie says:

It looks really nice :)

<3 Jamie

10. MichelleC says:

I am blown away with what you did to update the house. Fantastic job. I love that you kept the paneling and painted it. It really brightens up the whole place.

11. ElleX says:

Beautiful!

12. ElleX says:

I just realized that you haven’t posted up the exterior yet…I would love to see the deck area!!! You and your hubby are amazing at reno and design!!!

13. Natalie says:

B-e-a-utiful! You need a show on HGTV! You REALLY inspire me to do wonderful things with ranch style homes. The only thing I would have done differently is swap the rooms. The chandelier would look great where the old fan used to be in the den and I would put a ceiling fan where the chandelier is and then switch the dining room and living area so that the living area is bigger and people can gather around the fireplace on cold nights on a couch and so you don’t have to walk through one room to take your food to the dining room. But these are simple changes any home owner can make. LOVE IT!

Thanks, Natalie!! :) It’s funny you should say that about switching the rooms, we’ve had the same thought at times – it would be interesting to see what the new homeowners do!

14. I agree with another poster – I’d stick an expedit between the office and dining area. That seems to open to me – I’d get no work done being able to see into the rest of the house. And I’d have trouble relaxing eating dinner looking at my work. But that’s just me. I could see even a wall with huge french doors or some large piece of furniture to make a slight separation.

15. Jenni says:

How much return have you found it costs to put in a slider or french doors in place of the window? Do you find the amount you pay for the replacement makes a difference for re-sale?

Good question! I think it depends on whether you’re improving the floor plan by adding an access point where there previously wasn’t one, or you’re just adding a second or third way to get to the backyard, etc. In this case, the den was completely cut off from the backyard before we added the sliders so I think the house would have taken much longer to sell without that access point, and would probably have sold for less. Just my thoughts, hope it helps!! :)

16. las artes says:

Bronwynsmom has a point that I forgot to mention. When we initially started renovations, we didn’t open it up partly because we thought having a quiet room would be nice and also because a steam line ran through the wall to the right of where my mom is sitting. HOwever, two years later we changed to a hot water system and we then didn’t have to worry about contending with the pipe if we ran into it. We did support the ceiling (sorry don’t know the details of that). Even though the btm walls are there the room is more open to conversation and light. I also agree that having a huge living room ,while it’s good for parties, is hard to decorate. I have friends who have that and they do end up with two separate seating arrangments. We all agree in my home that it was one of the best decisions we made. We have contemplated opening up the other side that leads into the dining room (where the kitten is walking into). Not sure if we are up to it though. This house was the money pit!