Custom Cabinets in Kitchen & Master Bath

Have I talked to you yet about the cabinets at this house?

Original cabinets were all over the place – in the laundry room, the half bath (that we killed), the den, the kitchen, the jack ‘n jill bath, the study, and the master bathroom.

Built-Ins at the Flip

Most of them are sticking around and getting gussied up, but the cabinets in the kitchen and master bath just had to go.

We originally were going to try out a “semi-custom” cabinet option, but it wound up being almost as expensive as totally custom and they didn’t have the finishes that we wanted.  We’ve sprung for custom cabinets in all of our flips except the last one (since it already had great cabinetry) – it’s an investment that we’ve always been really pleased to make.  And this time we’re even more excited because the cabinetmaker is the same guy that did the cabinets at our house (and at Mark Cuban’s house – before he bought it).  I know they’re going to be gorgeous!!

They were scheduled to be delivered today but the shop got a little backed up so my fingers are crossed they get here in the next day or so.  In the meantime, do you want to see what they’re going to look like?

In the kitchen we’re keeping the same layout that was originally there, but with just a few improvements.

(1) we killed the awkward peninsula separating the kitchen from the breakfast room (you can see it here)

(2) we replaced the hutch with a breakfast bar

(3) we aren’t doing double ovens so we’re using that space for an appliance garage

(4) we’re using a vent hood over the stove so the microwave is going under the counter

Here’s what they’re going to look like!

Kitchen Cabinets Final

(Click on the image to make it bigger.)

We opted for a simple shaker door front – we used it at our third flip (the one in Redbook) and really loved the look, and we think it will appeal to a wide range of buyers.

And below you can see the plans for the butler’s pantry (that area that used to be the formal living room, between the kitchen and dining room – see it here) and the master bath vanity.

Butlers Pantry & Master Bath Cabinets Final

(Click on the image to make it bigger.)

I think the butler’s pantry (with a built-in desk and wine storage area) will turn out really cool, but only time will tell.  And in case you couldn’t tell, I’m using the term “butler’s pantry” really loosely.  :)

The master vanity is going to be huge, has two sinks to make that morning routine a little easier, and will have tons of storage.  Yippee!

Have you ever replaced your cabinets before?  Did you go custom, or semi-custom, or off the shelf?  There are so many great options these days, it’s hard to go wrong.

For more discussion on cabinetry, check out my article on Centsational Girl here, or the Renovation section of my Projects & Tips page.

Comments

Nope, the cabinets in both our houses have been okay. Looks like you made good choices – can’t wait to see how it all comes together!!!

PS Who is Mark Cuban?

Ha, sorry, he’s so famous in Dallas that I forgot he’s probably not famous anywhere else! He’s the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, and I think he’s also on a TV show. :)

2. Kate says:

Good choices. Looking forward to pics. Also, did you know that new episodes of Sarah’ s House are on Saturday afternoon (9/8)? I know you love her and Tommy!

3. I really love the shaker style cabinets and layout of the kitchen; can’t wait to see it come together!!!

4. Aimee says:

I think you are such a fox for reusing what you can, but realizing that sometimes a silk purse really can NOT be made from a sow’s ear. Can’t wait to see you finish photos; they are always amazing!

5. Mae says:

Hi Liz,

I have been a follower of your blog since your 3rd project. Thought that you have a very creative style in writing and I enjoy reading about the progress a lot. My husband and I are both starting out as investors, but mostly to hold and rent, as the market allows. We are in the Chicagoland area. My question for you is, if you don’t mind answering, is that how have you report the gains (assuming there are) in your yearly income tax in the past? Are there ways that one could do it more wisely, as in to maximize the gains? I think RE is a very exhausting business as so many people are involved in taking away from your gains as it is- the attorney, the seller’s agent, the buyer’s agent, the closing company, and the government….so, at the end of the day, who pays us for working out so much sweat and countless nights that we have endured to finish the project?

Any feedback would be so appreciated. Thanks, Liz!

Hi Mae, I hope you’re enjoying the business! My three pieces of advice for you are this – before you do anything else, find an accountant that has experience with small businesses and real estate. This is so important, and can save you tons of stress and money in the long-run. Second, form a business entity – what type will depend on the advice given to you by your accountant. Third, get your real estate license! That adds up to lots of savings because you’re acting as one of the agents. I hope that helps, and good luck!

6. Looking very nice and informative post. Do more hard work..

7. Those are quality kitchen cabinets you got right there. Great pick! Can’t wait to see the results of your hard work on this one.

8. gold price says:

We’ve got a master bath, a bath near the kids’ rooms, and a half bath off the kitchen/laundry room which we use during the day. That worked well, since no one ever had to wait (except for showers.) I like not having to go far in the middle of the night. Now the kids are gone we almost never use their bathroom.