Trying to Choose Exterior Paint Colors

Well folks, it’s about time to pick out the paint colors for the exterior of the flip.  And that can only mean one thing – we’re nearing the finish line!!!

In the past we’ve always painted our little brick ranches in shades of off-white or cream (here and here) or, in cases where we’ve left the brick unpainted, we’ve just added dark brown accents (here and here).

Exterior Color Schemes

But this time I really want to try something a little different.

Here’s where we’re starting – new-ish white windows, nondescript brick, brushed nickel hardware, a front door that will be stained a rich walnut, and a new medium gray-brown roof.

045

Here’s a promo shot of the shingles we used so you can have a better idea of what the roof looks like:

oakridge driftwood

And just in case you’re curious, here’s an in-progress shot of the roof going on.

Roof 001

The roof actually had a layer of wood shingles under a layer of composite shingles, and no decking (apparently wood shingles aren’t laid over decking) – I wish I’d seen what the house looked like after they ripped off the two layers of shingles and the roof was naked!

But I digress – back to the color scheme.  It’s been decided that we’re painting the brick and trim – and this time around I’m thinking gray.  Here are some schemes that I’ve been digging (most of the paint colors were pulled using the Sherwin Williams Chip It! tool – which is sort of handy since our painters are using Sherwin Williams paint):

Possible Exterior Paint Colors

Possible Exterior Paint Colors

Possible Exterior Paint Colors

Possible Exterior Paint Colors

Possible Exterior Paint Colors

Do you have any favorites?  I’m also torn between navy or black shutters.  Have any favorite color schemes that you think we should be considering?

Comments

I like the color scheme with the Summit Gray the best – but I don’t think you can go wrong. For the shutters, I’d prefer black to navy – I know navy is classic, but black is even more so and would probably appeal to more buyers (like me!). :)

So fun Liz. I love these posts!

2. Jenna W says:

I like Summit Gray with black shutters!

3. Tonya says:

I like the swanky gray then summit, but I’m also a lighter gray fan. Black shutters are always nice, but I think the navy would be lovely and different. It would really pop with the rich colored front door.

4. Elizabeth says:

I like the first gray option!

5. Marta S. says:

I really like the first color scheme, with the sealskin grey. I looks the most clean and classy yet is still inviting. The scheme has a depth to it that the other ones don’t quite match.

6. Lauren says:

Yes, yes, yes to the first one!

7. Maggie S says:

I also vote for the first one!

Thanks for putting the “Pin it” tag on –I was able to put the first gray house in my “new house” file

• Maggie S says:

another comment is that I like when the garage is painted the house color instead of the trim color (like the last house) I think it makes the garage doors less noticeable.

8. Brittney says:

I really like the Seal Skin color in the first set of swatches. I think any grey will look nice though!

9. Peggy says:

I like Summit Gray or Swanky Gray. The darker ones remind me of battleships!

10. charisse andrews says:

Considering the shingle color, and the filtered light it will get in the front, I would choose from the last palate……the HAMMERED SILVER with BLACK shutters. With the stained wood door…….elegant and classic.

11. I love all of the gray, but especially the first option! We painted our house gunmetal gray (in Sherwin Williams) but it came out very blue, and we had to choose a different shade. However, with light trim and garage door, it looks great. By the way, I LOVE your blog, and you are very inspiring to wanna-be flippers such as myself.

12. Debbie says:

My favorites are the summit gray or dovetail gray for the body and black for the shutters. Some of the grays are reading a bit muddy/dirty (sealskin) and the hammered silver is reading pinkish. At least on my monitor. Any of the lighter grays are just going to wash to white in that Texas sun!

13. Whatever color the siding is in the photo with just the front door and the pink/red plants, I love! Choose that :) And I vote for black shutters. We had blue ones on the house when we moved in and they just looked weird. They looked really bright in direct sun. We changed to black, it’s just so classic and universally loved.

14. Aimee says:

I LOVE grey color schemes for houses. How white is the white on the window frames. I would paint trim white of the same value and intensity. I think summit grey is my choice. Sealskin is too dark! Can’t wait to see how the paint ends up!

15. Kim says:

This is going to look soooo good. I love dark grey and think
    I like the first best. Can’t wait to see it.

16. I’m a fan of the natural brick, but I do love the grey and white and black schemes. I think I’m leaning towards the second scheme. The lighter grey just feels better for a single story house like your ranch.

17. Julie says:

I like sealskin, swanky gray, and black fox together. But I would always pick a darker color for the majority of the house and lighter or complimentary colors for accents.

18. Meleny says:

Personally I vote for the first one but any of those swatches are going to look great!

19. julie carter says:

im a design major and that first one is top notch the rest are okay in my opinion… just love that first one! cant wait to saw the finished product! oh and i really think u cant go wrong with either color shutter id paint first and then see.

20. Jessy @ Damp says:

I think swanky gray with black shutters will be an ideal combination. I really impressed with the way you think.

21. I’m lovin’ the idea of gray with navy shutters!

22. Great job on the house!