Cats vs Dogs

In honor of Election Day, I thought it only fitting that we should have an official vote to decide an issue of utmost importance.

Which pet is least likely to destroy your house – cats or dogs?

Cats versus Dogs - Decision 2012

I promise I’m not crazy – this whole idea came about after a conversation with my sister-in-law about how both cats and dogs can be crazy destructive to your house, just in different ways.

For example, a dog might chew the leg off your antique table but a cat will certainly shred your curtains.

So, what’s your stance on this monumental issue?

Comments

1. Lady Verbena says:

I voted cats… although I do have a cat and all my upholstered furniture is terribly damaged by the son of a ****… anyway… we can’t stop loving them, right?

Ha, I can’t even count the number of times I have cursed my cats for scratching the upholstery or some of our wood furniture, or for leaving wisps of fur all over the house minutes after I vacuum! But you’re right – I’m a total sucker for them. :)

2. Jen Rames says:

I voted dogs…because they totally rock!! We have a few carpet stains from time to time, but no destroyed furniture or permanent damage to the house (so far!).

3. kathy says:

cats 4 life!

4. I voted dogs – our dog doesn’t shed and really just sits here. Even with a well mannered cat, there would still be cat hair everywhere. And in my book, hair everywhere is a nightmare!

5. Rebecca says:

In NYC landlords will often allow cats but not dogs in apartments. I happen to have 2 cats now, after a lifetime of being a dog person, and I can tell you this: my dogs never harmed one item in my home growing up. They may have chewed a shoe as puppies, but that’s where it ended.

My cats, on the other hand, like to climb screen doors, claw at bugs that are on the outside of windows, climb clothes in my closet, scratch at anything remotely wicker (while ignoring their scratching posts) and use my cabinets and bookshelf as jungle gyms. I am an animal lover and will always have pets. However, I have come to believe that if a landlord is going to deem one type of pet more destructive than the other, it should definitely be cats.

6. Nora Rose says:

Dogs seem to chew more than cats. Our only casualty so far has been one accident and a pair of Ikea $5 curtains. That being said, I have little kittens so they may revolt…

7. Kahli says:

I voted cats as well even though my cat Breeze likes to scratch furniture from time to time. Only if it’s cotton though it seems. He knows he is not supposed to do it because he will run when he is caught.He did suddenly scratch up a leather sofa I had when I decided to sell it after not touching it for the full two years I had it! Lol but I love him.

8. I will never have either again. Dogs nails ruin everything, not to mention the chewing and killing your grass, but cats pee all over and PUKE all over (at least mine do) so there will never be an animal in my house again, once these two cats are off to kitty heaven. Please let that be soon, I’ve totally had it with them. I sound like a B, but you can only take so much potty and puke problems before you are desperate. And with a baby in the house, no less. They are 12, I’m hoping they don’t live to be 18 or 20…yikes.

9. Amanda says:

I voted dogs. I may have nail marks on my hardwood floors, but one dose of cat pee on a section of wall-to-wall carpet or a hairballed-stained windowsill and the house is done for.
    Trust me. I am “owned” by 2 dogs and 3 cats. LOL.

10. I will definitely cote for dogs when it comes to competing against cats. Dogs are a lot more adorable, so if they do make a mess it is a lot easier to forgive them. I have not experienced anything major with my dogs only a couple of carpet stains but they have never broken anything.