“After” Flip Photos: The Kitchen, Dining Room & Everything In Between

Moving on to the inside!

I told you guys before about how we thought about switching up the floor plan, but in the end we kept everything where it was (except for the half bath) and just improved upon what was already there – or at least I hope that’s what we accomplished!  That involved widening doorways, taking down a wall, and changing every surface we came in contact with.  :)

Let’s start at the front door, shall we?

After a new front door, wallpaper removal and jackhammering up the terrazzo, the entryway looks downright welcoming!

Before - Empty

And I’m jealous that this entryway has a two full walls for a console table, mirrors or other goodies, unlike our own home.  Sigh.

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

If you head to the right once you enter the house, you’re greeted by the sunny dining room with a big bay window looking out onto the front yard (oh, and we removed those weird half-columns).

Before - Empty

All the dining room needed was a new chandelier and some pretty hardwood floors.

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

You can also see that where there was once nothing, we have added a full wall of goodies – a wine fridge and hutch with storage for bottles of wine and glassware as well as a spot for a coffee or espresso machine . . .

Fifth Flip - Demolition

. . . and a built-in desk under the window.

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

Here’s another angle for ya:

Before - Empty

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

Obviously there used to be a wall between the dining/formal living rooms and the breakfast nook/kitchen . . .

Before - Empty

. . . but we did away with that sucker to open everything up.

If it were my house, I would put a loveseat on that left-hand wall to cozy up with a book or play a game while someone other than me was doing all the cooking.  :)  But someone else might want to use the wall for a buffet with a gallery wall above, or something else entirely.

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

Here’s another view to show how removing the wall opened things up.

Before - Empty

Please forgive the dusty footprints!

The inset area on the left with the window is for a breakfast table (wouldn’t a banquette be fun?), and there’s additional seating space on the right for bar stools.  The large cased opening on the right leads into the den.

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

Before, the kitchen was “fine” but very dated.  More scallops and curlicues than you can shake a stick at.  And the stove top & microwave were oddly off-center from the rest of the cabinetry.  And there was a useless furrdown above the cabinets that was begging to be torn down and filled with more storage space.

Before - Empty

So that’s what we did.  We also centered the range and all is now right with the world.  And I’m still obsessed with the 36″ range.

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

I’m very much in love with the tile that we used for the backsplash.  There’s a closer shot of it here, and you can see how it looks handmade and interesting.  I’m super impressed with the job the tile guys did – nary a wonky seam to be found.

"After" Flip Photos: Closeup of Kitchen Sink

That gorgeous faucet was provided courtesy of Kohler.  It’s the perfect faucet for this kitchen – ridiculously functional with it’s pull-out design, but still so pretty in a sleek chrome finish.  Love it!

More curlicues, anyone?  I’m not sure what was going on with the extra set of scallops around the sink cabinet.

Before - Empty

You may have noticed by now that we love a white kitchen – fifth time’s the charm, maybe?  The Shaker cabinets are classic, and these custom cabinets have soft-close drawers and adjustable shelves to make them even more functional.

"After" Photos of Our Fifth Flip

How do you think it turned out?

All “after” photos except for the sink closeup are courtesy of Shoot 2 Sell.

Comments

1. Mike Mannix says:

We’ve been thinking of renovating and updating our kitchen. It’s amazing what just getting the room brighter does in terms of making it seem bigger. The updated hardware on the drawers and cabinets made a huge difference as well. I’m going to be keeping these photos as evidence of what’s possible with some pretty straightforward changes.

2. jenn says:

It looks great! I really like the flooring. Is it hardwood? what kind of wood? thanks!

Thanks Jenn! It’s 3 inch planks of oak hardwood, stained with a half-and-half mixture of ebony and antique brown. Hope that helps!

3. lomr says:

What a big difference! I love the hardwood flooring.

4. This is AMAZING! My husband and I have been discussing purchasing a house to renovate and this makes me want to even more. It’s gorgeous!

5. Mandolyn says:

It’s gorgeous! You’ve done a fabulous job, and the future owners sure are lucky!
    Can I ask what that lovely neutral paint color is? I’ve been looking for the perfect color for our entry/living room and that color is so clean and fresh.

6. Meredith says:

This looks amazing. I love the range as well… stunning.

7. Erik says:

Looks great! The hardwood floors throughout are really nice.
    I am so glad to see you kept the moldings in the Den, along with the beams. That is a great architectural original feature to the house!

I think so, too, Erik! We have that molding in our home and I really like it, and I think the coffered ceiling is cool!

8. Your flips make me want to throw all my stuff away and embrace clean lines and minimal furniture. Yes, I know the houses are staged (not here obviously) but them make me want to get rid of everything we own! And they make me want to redo my entire house. Again.

Felicity, I have that feeling ALL THE TIME! We just went to a tour of homes over the weekend and when I came home to our house all I could think was, “What a dump!” I guess that’s the way it goes. :)

9. You’ve done it again!!! What an amazing transformation. Well done! The kitchen is beautiful!!!!

But seriously, why do all old houses seem to have those scallops? I wonder if they were just incredibly popular or really inexpensive :-)

Laurel

I know, the scallops are OUT OF CONTROL in that whole era of homes! Someone was really proud to own a router . . .

10. Heather N says:

Ooooh. I love the floors. And, really the whole thing! Can’t wait to see more. Thanks for sharing!!!

11. Nicole K says:

Great job!! what kind of counter tops are those? Beautiful work!

12. Emily says:

I absolutely LOVE what you’ve done with the space! I dream of a home where I can knock down walls to create such an open floor plan.

Emily

PS If I lived in your area I’d totally want to buy this house on these pictures alone!

I honestly think that this might be your best job yet. Seriously! It’s stunning! I love the kitchen pendant! And the open floor plan! But those scallops around the kitchen sink – those CRACKED me up!!!

14. Jenna says:

Beautiful job! Do you have any information about that light fixture in the entryway?

15. candace says:

I first found your site when we were renovating our old ranch and have followed ever since. This is my favorite flip yet! So beautiful. Cant wait to see more!

16. Awesome!! =)

17. Beth says:

Once again I love what you have done with the flip! Will you be showing the rest of the home soon such as the bathrooms and master?
    Great job!!!!!

18. Jenn says:

I am in love with your flips and your home! I know you’re in the Dallas area..are you able to tell me the location of this house? Have you flipped any in the White Rock area?

Hey Jenn, thanks so much! Yes, actually all of our houses have been in East Dallas near White Rock! So far they’ve all been right around Lovers and Abrams.

19. Laurie says:

I may have missed it, but can you tell me where that dining room fixture is from? Love!

20. I just love looking at your before and after photos…the transformations are inspirational!

21. Jayne says:

Love your work! I’ve already mentioned to you how much I love that 36″ stove! I was wondering about your appliance shopping. Do you ever buy without seeing it on the showroom floor and do you mix your brand of appliances? I’m worried about the different stainless steel finishes and of course, the 30″ range I picked out is not on the showroom floor or the Maytag dishwasher…I’m mixing it up because of the SS finish I want in the recesses of the range and the interior of the dishwasher…in addition to the finish on the outside of each one..

I may not comment..but I follow your flips! I love your series and if I’m lucky, I’ll learn more about big box cabinets..very soon!!

Keep at it Liz…it’s a gutsy business you are in…..you and your husband are doing a great job!

Thanks for your sweet comment, Jayne!! :)

As for appliances, so far we haven’t mixed our appliance brands – your concern about the finishes not matching is legitimate, and I would be wary of choosing two different brands without comparing the finishes side by side. But if you’ve been able to check them out and the finishes “match”, then go for it!