Young House Love Book Signing

Y’all.

I can now attest firsthand that a Young House Love book signing is to 25-35 year women what a Justin Bieber concert is to teenyboppers.

Do you see that gleeful gleam in my eyes?  Because it’s there, I can assure you.

Young House Love Book Signing 019

My friend Jen and I agonized over how early to get to the West Elm at Mockingbird Station for the book signing – parking there is notoriously ridiculous, and we’d read that the lines for these events have been insane (like some people have camped out!).  We finally decided on a sane 10:15 for the 11 o’clock signing to hopefully get a decent spot in line.  Our husbands agreed to drop off and pick up (which I highly recommend) so the logistics wound up being really easy.

When we arrived at 10:15 I didn’t think the line was too bad – I saw a short line at the front door . . . and then I realized that the line extended inside the store and around the building.  While we waited the line got even longer – I’m talking hundreds of people!  The crowd was about 95% chicks, with a few husbands and babies thrown in to mix things up a bit.  Jen and I both left our babies at home, which turned out to be a great decision – I don’t think our kiddos would have been too happy waiting for a few hours in the chilly weather.

Apparently everyone got the brown boot memo, myself included (and btw, YHL readers are a cute bunch!).  We all snacked on cookies and hot chocolate while we waited, and the time actually passed really quickly since Jen and I got to chat and enjoy a much overdue gabfest.  The line started moving pretty quickly right at 11, and just before 1pm we were meeting the famous duo!

If I’m being totally honest, I felt a little weird waiting in line to meet a couple whose lives I’ve read about almost every day for the past 4 years – did any of you that met them feel that way?  It’s probably natural to feel a bit like a stalker in this situation, but at least I wasn’t alone, right?  :)

But once I set my stalker-vibes aside, it was super cool to meet John and Sherry – they are just as friendly and loud and sweet and normal as I had imagined.  You know how they come across on their blog?  That’s just how they were in real life, which is pretty darn cool.

Young House Love Book Signing

We squeaked in to meet them just before one o’clock (when the event was scheduled to end) and there was still a huge line of people behind us.  Yikes!  I know that Sherry and John are super cool about trying to stay to meet everyone, but a West Elm staffer was saying that there was no way they could meet everyone before they had to leave to catch their flight.  I hope that didn’t happen, what a bummer!

It’s so exciting to see such awesome bloggers have this success – and have you gotten their book yet?  It’s amazing!  I seriously don’t know how they do it all, but I’m glad they do.  :)

Have any of you been to one of the YHL book signings?  I want to hear about it!

Comments

1. Natalie says:

I whole heartedly agree with everything you said about John & Sherry and Saturday. We got there at 8 on Saturday and were the first people in line. Haha. We so didn’t expect that. I’d also like to mention that all the YHL followers are crazy nice. We made friends with the people behind us in line and really enjoyed chatting with them. Not to mention, my friend and I got to catch up on life, which was just great.

And yes, I was like all like, “I am not gonna be nervous. This is no big deal.” Yeah, the second they came out my palms got all sweety and I may have even blushed. Ha.

P.S. Been following your blog for awhile and thought I’d break my comment silence. =)

Yay, thanks for breaking your silence, ha! :) How cool that you got to be first in line! And I’m with you – I think I was a total nerd when I met them. Actually, I know I was. Sigh.

2. Becky says:

I went to the book signing in Minneapolis – it was amazing to meet the incredible duo (although yes I did feel a bit stalker-ish too).

3. Lisa says:

Lucky you! I am hoping they add an LA or San Diego date to their trip so I can go stand in line too.

I’m surprised those aren’t already on the tour, they seem like such obvious stops! I hope they add them, you would have a blast. :)

4. Jill says:

I saw you in line, and was pretty sure it was you, and almost came over, but then I felt extra weird and stalkerish because (a) I’m not sure I’ve ever even commented on your blog so you don’t know who I am and (b) I wasn’t 100% sure it was you and didn’t want to look like more of an idiot than I already felt like I was getting ready to meet YHL.

I felt super nervous and a little crazy waiting to meet YHL, but they were awesome! I wrote a post about it yesterday and took almost the same stalker picture of them and the ceramic animals! Haha! http://www.reallifenotes.com/2012/11/how-far-would-you-run-to-meet-john-and-sherry/

That would have been so fun if you had said hi! But I totally understand, I would have felt the same way. I hope I wasn’t doing anything super embarrassing – I try to strive for only moderately embarrassing, ha! :) PS. I just checked out your post, and it turns out that I saw you, too!

5. I went to the Richmond, VA event. I’m local so it was easy. After reading everyone else’s reviews of other signings I’m really glad I got to go to a paid ticketed event. It was $25 for 2 tickets. We got to hear them speak (cute presentation) as well as food blogger/The amateur gormet Adam Roberts (same publisher). There was a silent auction of larger items such as the 2 desks in the book and yummy food. There was suppose to be wine but I saw none of that! We were middle of the line probably and waited about 15-20 minutes. Wahoo! J & S were super nice of course and I got a great photo. Awesome night. Even inspired my husband and I to redo our bedroom some.

6. Tara says:

Ha! Don’t exclude us old ladies (age, 38 here) from the YHL lovefest!! I got to see them talk and sign books in Cincinnati at their first stop and, too, was awkward about how much I know about them and just giddy to shake hands and meet them. They were really sweet and I am so glad I got to go! (no cookies at the Cincy event, boo) Love your blog, too!

Tara, you made me laugh! No exclusions intended, my apologies. :) Bummer about the cookies!

7. Nora Rose says:

I flew solo for the Boston event but I wish I had a line buddy! It was snowing so getting in line at 5 for 6pm event wasn’t bad but I didn’t meet them until after 7. Totally was worth it but I wish I had someone to talk to in line. It was fun to look around West Elm though!

8. Jen M says:

I met them in Toronto, and I got there super early so I was near the front of the line… maybe a half hour wait. I was sooo nervous! I also saw another Toronto Blogger there, and I couldnt even say Hi to her because I was so nervous. But YHL are truly the same in person as they are on the blog.

9. Megan says:

Got to meet them up in Boston, amazed to see so many people.

10. Rita says:

How funny! Wish I knew you were there. I actually recommended your blog to another person in line bc we were casually discussing the blogs we follow and told her how you were based in Dallas. I would have been just as honored to have met you. And yes, i agree, i felt like i knew them yet nervous to meet them. Thanks for your posts!

So cool that you met them & got pics!! :) Sounds like you had such a great time in line too. I’m crossing my fingers they add more book dates and head out to Cali :)

12. Aimee says:

After reading all these excited posts, I feel like the world’s biggest loser for not going to the signing. Years ago, I went to an Al Gore book signing, however! Love reading your comments!

13. Aw, you’re so sweet! It was so much fun to meet you! Thanks so much for coming. And the amazing thing is that we got to stay until 3:30 and meet every last person in line before booking it to the airport to catch our flight! Whew.

xo
    Sherry

Hey Sherry! You guys totally rock for doing everything you could to meet everyone – I know you made a lot of people very happy!

14. What better way to spend your time when stuck in a queue, than to have a good gossip and a catch up. The book signing sounds very exciting, glad you got yours done before they finished.

15. I am so jealous. Love your comparison with teenie boppers and Justin Bieber, sounds about right!