The Big Box Kitchen Series

I’m no stranger to kitchen renovations – in fact, I’ve tackled 6 of them so far.  There’s been one common denominator in all those renovations . . . custom cabinets.

Well, that’s all about to change.

big box kitchen series

That’s right – the kitchen cabinets in our newest flip will be from a big box store!  Cue the gasps.  :)

I’ll be posting about the whole experience in “The Big Box Kitchen Series,” so if you’ve ever wondered had any questions about ordering cabinets from Home Depot* or a similar store, I hope you’ll follow along to see how this whole thing goes.  I’m feeling pretty optimistic!

*Note: Home Depot isn’t sponsoring this series, or giving us anything, I just thought you guys might be interested in this kitchen-planning process.

So, Jason and I have always been curious about Home Depot kitchens, especially since Martha threw her hat in the ring – I mean, the woman can do no wrong.  But I’d always heard (or thought I heard) that the cabinets take 3-4 months to come in and we don’t have that kind of time with our flips – so I never really investigated what the semi-custom cabinets at Home Depot were all about.

With our last flip, we thought about going the semi-custom route and worked briefly with a small, independent cabinet company and came up these great plans for the kitchen:

overhead view.cabinetry layout

The price was fairly high but within our budget, especially since the cabinets were going to come completely finished – stained, painted, whatever we wanted.  Sounded great to us!

Then we checked out the finishes that were available in our cabinet selection – why we didn’t do this before we designed the entire kitchen I’ll never now.  And we hated all the finishes.  The white was an icky bright white that looked really cheap, and all the stains were either reddish brown or almost black – not our cup of tea.

So we abandoned ship and opted for custom yet again, simply because we knew we would have control over how the cabinets looked once they were finished.

Fast forward to this flip, which will be our 6th flip once we officially buy it a few days before Christmas, and yet again we’ve got the itch to try semi-custom cabinets.

We’ll see how this goes!

To be continued . . .

P.S.  You can check out my latest guest post on Centsational Girl right here.

Comments

I’m so excited to see how this works out for you! Fingers crossed the closing goes well next week! AND – the centsational link wasn’t working! :(

2. Maria says:

Hi Liz, I found you from your post on Centsationalgirl and couldn’t be happier I clicked over. This is just the sort of series I’ve been looking for! Can’t wait to hear about your experience.

PS. 5 flips down and 1 coming up. All I can say is wow! Now I just need to go back through your archives and see all the progress.

3. Aimee says:

I totally love your articles: 1) your optimistic, can do writing style, 2) variety of topics, 3) depth of knowledge and information. I also enjoy reading the groupies’ comments. You add positive vibes to my life!

4. Nikki says:

Why 6? That seems excessive…

5. Shannon U says:

Well, I guess that WOULD be excessive if she had remodeled her own kitchen 6 times!
    Liz is on the young side, so she would have had to remodel her kitchen about every 18 months for that to make sense. ha!

Liz, so glad you are doing this series. I have heard mixed reviews about getting your kitchen done at a big box. I know you’ll give us an impartial take.

By the way – you say you didn’t like the bright white or reddish stains. I am about to restain my kitchen cabinets. Would you recommend staying away from reddish tones? Are they “out” or is it just your personal preference that you don’t like them? Thanks!!

Ha, I get the urge to change things up in our house but I’m not THAT crazy! :)

As far as reddish tones, I think it’s probably just my own personal preference, although I have noticed that rich brown tones seem to be dominating the kitchens on Pinterest – like Walnut or Antique Brown (those are Minwax stains). Walnut has just a hint of red, but it’s not dominating. But I think you should go for whatever looks right to you!!

• Shannon U says:

My neighbor used to be a kitchen designer and I just asked her about color trends as well. She said Cherry used to be the big craze before white seemed to take over. So anything reddish might hint toward that trend from 5 years ago. Ok, that settles it. I will go with a walnut stain with a black glaze on top. Thanks!!

6. Liam Manning says:

First off, that baby is incredibly adorable. Also, thanks for your posts because my wife and I really want to do some renovations in Wilton, ct for our home. We can’t really afford a new home so we though we could just make the one we do have a lot better. Thanks for the inspiration.

7. Alissa Banks says:

Wow! I love it! I’ve done a lot ofhome improvement in my buffalo nyhome! This is such an inspiration! Keep it up!

8. Lovely Abode says:

Just about to start our own kitchen renovation so just browsing the web for some inspiration. Finding your site very useful indeed!