“After” Flip Photos: The Exterior

Let’s call this flip done, y’all!

Finished Photos 092

I remember driving up to this house back in November when it had been on the market for mere hours.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

I wasn’t sure back then how it could look after we tried our hands at fixing it up, but I had high hopes!

Here’s how it looks now, after lots of fluffing and puffing:

Finished Photos 094

After a little consideration, the entire house was painted a medium shade of gray (Stamped Concrete from Sherwin Williams) with bright white trim – we painted the downspouts to match the brick, just like we did last time, and I think it makes them less noticeable.  Here’s a tip – transition your paint from the trim color to the brick color right where the downspout connects to the gutter – some painters (like ours) want the transition to be lower, at the first bend in the downspout, but that winds up looking strange.

The front door was replaced and painted a watery aqua (Waterscape by Sherwin Williams) that I just love!  I think it looks fresh and friendly.

Finished Photos 085.edited

The flower beds in the front got some love, too – yours truly wrestled quite a few plants indeed.

Finished Photos 116

And I’m now obsessed with hydrangeas!  I couldn’t resist planting them in the front and back yards.

Finished Photos 102

In addition to painting and general sprucing, we also did a little construction on the front exterior – in particular, replacing the windows throughout the whole house and switching out the dated iron posts for simple, painted cedar posts.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" - Our 6th Flip

005 (2)

Better, right?

Finished Photos 090

You can see how paint and new windows transformed the side of the house as well (which is seen from the street since this house is on a corner).

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

The snazzy new fence doesn’t hurt, either.  And do you also notice how the roof line changed between the garage and the main body of the house?  That flat roof just had to go.

Finished Photos 096

Onto the backyard.  Here’s how it looks now.  You’ll notice the yard looks a little patchy due to the new sod that we added, but it will grow in soon and look seamless.

finished photos

And here’s where we started:

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

Yikes!  The new roof line, windows, French doors and siding made a world of difference.  Not to mention actually adding a door to that door-less hole in the garage.

6th Flip

And my new favorite hydrangeas make for a pretty view from inside the house.

Finished Photos 100

The backyard itself had tons of potential but took a lot of work to get it looking presentable.  Fill dirt, new sod, a new fence, grinding a tree stump…  With each flip I swear off planting sod, but each time we have to do it!  Oh well.

yard work

The backyard is really gigantic (or at least for our part of town it is) and I am ridiculously obsessed with the new horizontal cedar fence.  I want every yard in America to have this fence, I love it that much.  I think it deserves its own post, so stay tuned for that.

finished photos

Wrapping it up with a few pretties…

fence & flowers

And there you have it!  The transformation of the exterior of the flip was a pretty big one this time – how do you think it turned out?

P.S.  Be sure to check out my latest post as a contributing writer for Centsational Girl!  Just click here to read it.

Comments

1. Centsational Girl says:

Wow Liz, I’m so impressed and inspired! Your color choices and architectural changes are perfection, so much amazing curb appeal thanks to your hard work!
    xoxo
    Kate

2. samantha says:

LIZ – i looooooooove it!!!! you did an amazing job, as usual! love the front door and the fence is to die for!!!!

xoxo,
    sam

3. Alexis says:

Looks amazing! I want to move in! And I LOVE the front door. So sweet and welcoming!

4. It looks AMAZING! You did a wonderful job. I’m totally in love with the front door!

5. Ashly says:

Looks fantastic! May I ask who did the horizontal fence? I’m in the DFW-area and we’ve received a couple of quotes, but could always use another one (and especially from a company that obviously does great work!).

6. Asiyah says:

It looks great! You guys did a good job with the house!!

The exterior looks amazing! So glad you painted and the front door color looks so pretty :) Yay for a pretty new roof-line that is now seamless it makes all the difference, so looking forward to seeing the inside of the this beauty.

ps: We are hoping to plan some pretty hydrangeas outside our french doors too! Crossing my fingers if we plan them, they’ll grow and grow!

9. deb says:

Looks stunning, as always! Did I miss the interior “after” shots??

10. Tia says:

wow!! What a difference. You’re a brave pair to paint the brick, but it turned out SO well. Kudos!

11. Aimee says:

Loved your post in Centsational Girl! Between writing your own successful blog, being married with a toddler, and flipping houses, you have time to be a guest blogger?!?
    Of course I loved the house changes. The yard looks HUGE! The view of the back of the house before the renovations would have sent me screaming into the woods.
    Great job, Liz!!!

12. Lucinda says:

Liz,
    I think this might be my favorite flip yet. What a transformation. I can’t wait to see the inside. Can you let me know when you hold the open house?
    Lucinda

13. Vicki says:

Wow, what a difference. I would happily move in there just based on the outside. With the new roof transition, do you work all that out yourself or do you consult an architect to give you ideas? I am impressed.

We definitely work with someone to make things like that happen – we tell them how we want it to look, and they give us ideas based on budget and feasibility!

14. Jen says:

Awesome!!! It looks beautiful. Amazing work!

15. Mary Dewitte says:

Hi Liz,

That’s a pretty amazing house! Gray, white and watery aqua colors are great combinations for the exterior. Choosing the right color of the house is really important. You’re truly wonderful! :-D

Mary Dewitte recently posted.. Workout Program Reviewer

16. Suzie says:

LOVE IT! Esp the gray brick & Waterscape front door! Can’t wait for interior pics next week! Great job!

17. faye says:

great transformation :D

18. Angie says:

Love, love, LOVE the color combo on this home! It’s so beautiful! You guys did a great job on this house!!! It’s actually a color combo I’ve been debating using for our house and you may have just twisted my arm to pull the trigger and just do it already…like I needed much arm twisting! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

19. The change in the roof line is the biggest one for me. It looks like it should have always been that way. Boo to flat roofs!

20. I’m so impressed with this big garden space. I love it.

21. Carolyn says:

Such a difference. I don’t know why I’m always surprised, but I am. You guys do such great work!

22. Judy King says:

I love the transformation. It looks absolutely amazing! I want to replace the metal posts on my ranch house. How wide are the cedar posts that you used, are they 6″ or 8″ wide?

23. We’re really wrapping things up at The Painted Lady, I built 300 feet of fencing as an ice breaker for the landscaping package. Over the past week or so I’ve been realizing what a huge yard we have! In order to provide a complete package to a buyer we always go the extra mile with fencing and decking when possible. In the rear I went with a dog eared cedar 6′ standard privacy fence and a 20′ wide driveway gate which will soon be solar & automated. I stained it with 2 coats of my favorite Redwood semi-transparent color from Behr Ultra, It really looks tropical and plays well with all the green tones in my color palette. Up front I built a classic Victorian picket fence and painted it the same Sherwin Williams Rockwood Green as my house trim color. I brought in some palm trees, 3 yards of river rock, 8 yards of mulch and 5 pallets of sod to give her the love she needed for so many years. The sod is from Hydro Scape, a better place than Home Depot and is called Medallion Bonsai Fescue. Notice that we also made the small rear deck off the master suite, got gutters installed and hand made a really cool period correct front porch decoration for the handrail. Once these decorative gingerbread features are all painted everything is really going to come together.

24. Garage door color: Unless you want to broadcast to your neighbors that you have a three-car garage, you probably don’t want to highlight your garage doors. Standard garage doors should usually be painted either the color of the house or a couple of shades darker to “anchor” them. Plus, by painting the garage doors the house color or a little darker, your house will look bigger and less chopped up. The focus is reserved for the front door. Note: yes, metal garage doors can be painted even if they’re white when installed. Just clean the doors very well and use a good primer.

25. We’re really wrapping things up at The Painted Lady, I built 300 feet of fencing as an ice breaker for the landscaping package. Over the past week or so I’ve been realizing what a huge yard we have! In order to provide a complete package to a buyer we always go the extra mile with fencing and decking when possible. In the rear I went with a dog eared cedar 6′ standard privacy fence and a 20′ wide driveway gate which will soon be solar & automated. I stained it with 2 coats of my favorite Redwood semi-transparent color from Behr Ultra, It really looks tropical and plays well with all the green tones in my color palette. Up front I built a classic Victorian picket fence and painted it the same Sherwin Williams Rockwood Green as my house trim color. I brought in some palm trees, 3 yards of river rock, 8 yards of mulch and 5 pallets of sod to give her the love she needed for so many years. The sod is from Hydro Scape, a better place than Home Depot and is called Medallion Bonsai Fescue. Notice that we also made the small rear deck off the master suite, got gutters installed and hand made a really cool period correct front porch decoration for the handrail. Once these decorative gingerbread features are all painted everything is really going to come together.

26. Impressive project results! Wow – terrific job on this property and I really appreciate the many attention to details, including in the roof. While it is a mjor undertaking to refurbish and change a roof, the effects are dramatic on the visual appeal of the house. Great post!

27. What a difference an great exterior paint job can make to make a property look it’s very best. Great photos and narrqtive of the project. Thanks for sharing how you did it.