“After” Flip Photos: The Living Spaces (Including the Kitchen!)

I wanted to devote this post entirely to the kitchen – I think it deserves it – but the floor plan is so open that approach doesn’t really make sense.  So get ready for a monster of a post!

I’m going to walk you through the living spaces from the front door, but first here’s a little teaser of the kitchen.  :)

Swoon!

But let’s get back to our tour.  Here is the former view from the front door – bam, a wall right in your face, making the house feel sooooo much smaller than it actually is.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

We made some changes to the layout that enabled us to open the wall straight ahead so that you can see straight from the front door to the back of the house.  Seeing all of that extra space from the get-go is great because it makes the house feel bigger and it shows off some of the awesome features of the house from the very beginning (can you say kitchen??).

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

Back when we bought the flip, you entered the house through the formal living room, and the formal dining room was that little nook with the bay window on the right-hand side.  The kitchen and huge den were hidden behind that wall on the left.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

Since the den in the back is SO huge, we thought it would be a better use of space to turn the tiny dining room into an office (adding a large cased opening) and the formal living room into the dining room.  By making these changes, we were able to close up the original door between the now-office and the kitchen and create the large walkway that you can see on the left-hand side in the picture below.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

The front room is the perfect size for a large table and a buffet or hutch, and I love the capiz chandelier centered in front of the huge picture window at the front of the house.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

The view looking back at the front door was equally uninspiring.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

But it improved considerably once we brightened it up and added a pop of fun color on the back of the (new) front door.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

It was very awkward having the kitchen jut into the living and dining rooms…

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

…but framing in the cased opening for the office got rid of that strange bump out.

Hello, happy front door!

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

The bay windows in the former-dining-room-turned-office are such a cute feature, but they were lost behind heavy drapes.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

Now, those bay windows will bring in tons of light into the office.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

Now we’re heading back to the kitchen – you can see here how we closed up the doorway between the hallway and kitchen which became unnecessary when we added the large walk-through from the front of the house to the back of the house.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

The old kitchen was…old.  And had an extremely strange layout interrupted by 3 doorways.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

Closing up the doorway to the hallway gave us a long, uninterrupted wall for the stove.  We moved every fixture from the original layout, but it was worth it for the improved function of this kitchen.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

The washing machine and water heater also used to take up precious space in this kitchen.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

We moved the water heater to the attic and the washing machine to a closet in the hallway, freeing up valuable real estate.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

Even though the kitchen and den were technically “open” before, the support columns between the two spaces and the low ceiling in the den made both spaces feel dark, cramped and really separate from one another.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

A new support beam allowed us to remove the columns and truly open up the two spaces to each other.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

You can see the low ceiling that the den had previously – it was a covered patio converted to living space and it had a flat roof – the whole original conversion was done pretty poorly.

Flip before

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

There was no choice – the roof had to come off and be completely redone.

framing & drywall Flip 6

But now the den has an awesome vaulted ceiling and feels like a true part of the house.  And it’s huge!  (Like 18×30!)

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

Before, the fireplace looked completely out of place in the den, like it was just stuck in there as an afterthought.

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

After a lot of debate, we decided to go for a simple mantle that would give it more presence in the room.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

Our tile guy did such a great job, and I’m in love with how the fireplace turned out!

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

The floor guys did a great job framing out the hearth with the hardwoods.

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

You can see below how the den used to have rickety sliding doors and a tiny window:

It's Great To Be Home - "Before" Photos of Our 6th Flip

The sliders weren’t in good shape, so we switched them out (along with the tiny window) for a run of full-lite slab doors.  We had the center two doors hung as French doors, and the remaining 3 doors were hung as windows (meaning that they weren’t morticed for hinged and they didn’t have holes drilled for door hardware).  Oh, and we also added a door between the garage and the den!

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

The den is easily large enough for two seating areas, and the kitchen counter has a nice overhang for bar stools.  I’m pretty sure I could live in just these two rooms.  :)

And that’s all, folks!

"After" Flip Photos: The living areas, including the kitchen

It was our first time using Home Depot cabinets AND venturing away from a white kitchen, so we were nervous about how it would all turn out – but I must say that I’m really thrilled with the results.

How do you think the kitchen turned out?

Sponsorship Information:  All of the beautiful glass tile used on the backsplash and the fireplace surround was provided by the awesome people at Subway Tile Outlet.  The gorgeous kitchen faucet was provided by Kohler.  We feel crazy lucky to have the support of such awesome companies!

kohler subway tile outlet

Comments

1. I came by just in time! Another masterpiece. I really love what you’ve done, especially the kitchen, the great light now in the house, and the exterior. Talk about improvement, and what curb appeal! It’s really beautiful.

2. Meredith says:

Wow, this transformation is amazing. Great job. The tile is wonderful.

3. Asiyah says:

Wow…just wow. The house looks amazing now!

4. It looks amazing!! I love the kitchen and den. The counter tops are my faaaaaavorite. Love, love love.

5. WOW! This is a beautiful transformation! Great job. I really like all of the tile that you chose.

6. Abby says:

WOW- I absolutely love this house! Love the tile in the kitchen and the fireplace- very well done.
    Can you tell us specifics on the wood floors? Love it! Love the stain color!

I’ll do a little post with sources throughout the house! :)

7. Ana says:

Wow! Everthing looks amazing! I’ve been following your flips and continually stop all of my darling husband’s activities to share what I want our home to look like – your after pics seem like they come straight from my brain. After much travel and nomadic living, are finally able to settle down into our own home – Thursday is our closing day and we have LOTS of plans. However, I’m concerned about choosing appliances that are “too much” for the home we are purchasing. Could you recommend brands that are reliable as well as look fantastic? What we *really* would love is absolute top-of-the-line stuff that would easily wind up running $20K+ – when I travel back down to Earth, I realize that it just doesn’t seem like a justifiable expense for a $375K home. Maybe if we know for a fact we were going to be here forever…but the nature of my husband’s work may very well have us moving in 3-5 years. Any suggestions?

Ooh, congrats on your new home!!! So exciting!

We really really love the Kenmore and Kenmore Elite brands from Sears – they look great and are at an amazing price point. We’ve used them in every single flip, and in our own home. We haven’t had a single issue with the ones in our house and we’ve lived here for 4+ years so far. I also really like Jenn-Air appliances, and they are good value for the money.

I hope that helps!!

• Ana says:

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Now if I could just wiggle my nose and have our new kitchen be renovated in a flash…

8. vicki says:

What a difference. It certainly was major work to redo the den. Great job.

9. Centsational Girl says:

Gorgeous in every way! I absolutely love everything, the chandelier, the floors, wow! Amazing job on the kitchen, I agree, the layout is so much better and worth the extra $$, love the cabinets too, fabulous !!!
    xoxo

10. Will says:

You did a wonderful job, but this house lacks some of the details that made your other flips stand out.

11. Wow! First of all I’m just flat out impressed that your already done with this flip(our builder takes months just to install cabinets and it isn’t because of the fantastic craftsman ship:/) It turned out really great! I need to go back and look at your other posts and catch up.

12. Michael says:

Absolutely amazing. I’m in love with the kitchen, but honestly, a favorite room is tough since it all came out so beautiful!

13. Annie says:

It’s incredible. I painted the inside of our front door a very similar color! The house is so amazing I would move there. :) I think my absolute favorite details are the inside of the front door, and the fireplace tile. I redid our own fireplace with glass tile and love it!! Great minds think alike!! :) What I think is so neat is that you guys really take care of the houses you flip. Great job!!

14. Melissa says:

What an amazing transformation! I absolutely love it!!!!!

15. vetements ralph lauren pas cher,Chemise Ralph Lauren Femme,Custom-Fit Polo Ralph Lauren Femme,parfum romance de ralph lauren.

16. Aimee says:

The den is totally an unbelievable transformation. I would not have believed it possible. What wonderful light you have admitted. Hope this puppy just flies off the market: it should! Wonderful job on your flip!

17. Liz, your flips are amazing. I love following along and seeing the final results. The only problem? Now when I see the ones that people do in my neighborhood I can’t think of anything good to say about them! They totally pale in comparison. I love that you put so much thought into yours instead of just pulling out carpet and repainting. Nice work!

Um, sponsored!?!?! You’ve made it to the big time Liz!!!! I’m so happy for you! Ecstatic actually!!!! The glass tile around the fireplace is amazing. But it’s even more amazing that you tiled all the way up the wall in the kitchen. BRILLIANT. Totally makes me want to re-tile my kitchen! Ha!

BEST FLIP EVER. I keep thinking you can’t top the previous one, yet you keep doing it. Watch out world!!!

19. Jennifer S says:

This is my favorite flip of yours by far! I wish I lived in Texas so I could buy thus place and move in! It’s beatiful!

20. Maggie S says:

Liz,
    All I can say is WOW!!! I agree with Christy -every flip is better than the last!! Your attention to detail is what makes each house beautiful and functional.

Hope it sells soon!
    Maggie

The kitchen and living areas turned out amazing!! :) The space is huge and flows so well!! Love the pulls you choose for the kitchen too! :) I’m still deciding on hardware, lol for our kitchen

22. MIKE THOMPSON says:

HOLY MOSES! Liz, you’ve done it again! Every rescue, as hard as it is to fathom, gets better and better! You have this stuff down pat! I would say you definitely need to be on HGTV or DIY Network allowing readers and house afficionados such as myself to follow along on the purchase/renovation/resale process…not unlike Sarah Richardson’s Sarah’s House series. I literally felt my jaw hanging in awe of the transformation. You are such an inspiration.

23. bridget b. says:

wow Liz! i love it! i really like the cabinets as well. that color is a great alternative to white.

24. Raine Blunk says:

Your are really amazing! It turned out really great. I really like what you’ve done to your kitchen.

25. Lurvvvvv those kitchen cabinets! It’s kind of a warm alternative to gray cabinets and it looks amazing! It’s so nice to see kitchens that are embracing the non-white cabinetry – always good to mix it up! Looks AMAZING! BEAUTIFUL!

26. Johanna says:

Beautiful work! What an amazing difference you have made to that house. I love the gray cabinets. Were they prefabbed that way or did you paint them? If you used paint can you share the paint color? I’m getting ready to paint my cabinets a similar shade and would love to sample a color that I’ve actually seen. :)
    Thanks!

27. Allison says:

Well done! I think your bathrooms may be my favorite part of your flips. They’re SO much fresher and cleaner. and make for a dramatic “after.”

I’m excited to see your “source list” post. I admired your interior doors from your second flip, and now I’m loving the front door on this one. So my request is for more information on your doors in your “source’ post. :)

28. Mariya says:

You guys do such great work! I love it, do a house in Seattle!

29. WOWOWOWOW! That is one awesome flip. I want to live there! Congrats!

30. Nicki says:

Gorgeous reno!

31. Karen L. says:

What a beautiful house flip—-hope it sells fast and well for y’all! I love all the materials and the creative use of the space. Love, love the huge-feeling kitchen with all the counters. One question: I didn’t see under cabinets lights in the kitchen which are a big “must have” for my kitchens (we’re in our 11th house since we were married due to corporate moves). They just really help in tasks as well as using them for ambient, softer kinda needs without using all the ceiling ones. What is your opinion on installing those? Thanks…..K.

32. That kitchen! Those wood floors! The fireplace! It’s just all dreamy. Great changes, as always.

33. Alexis says:

LOVE it! I’m so into your kitchen! I keep looking at it and smiling. Demo for my Martha kitchen starts next week! Go Ocean Floor!!!

34. Liz, Wonderful job on this flip. Incredible change. I for one am delighted that you chose to go with painted cabinets other than white. An all white kitchen to me lacks personality….when I say all white I mean white cabinets, counters and subway tile. Your cabinets will act as a neutral quite well. The floors are beautiful! I wish you a fast sale and then on to the next one.

35. Carolyn says:

Stunning! Oh I could move right in!

36. Our dining room is also at the front of the house. The Kitchen and dining room are in an open environment with an island of sorts coming out of the wall conecting the two. As you enter the home from the front door their is an entry into the dining room to your right. Ahead would be a hall or foyer if you will. and then the main hall to the home with the living room to the left of that hall and the bedrooms and bathrooms to the right of that hall. When you enter the focus is more toward the foyer area and not the dining room. The former owners and I am sure the original owners had a door that devided the dining room from the hallway. We wanted a more open look and I removed the door and smoothed out the door jamb to make it look like an entry way and not a former doorway. The dining room/ Kitchen area has another pair of doors that lead into the living room. We kept those so as to make sure that the TV remains in the living room and we can spent meal times without the TV getting between us and our family. I would like to eventually reatange the kitchen and open the wall up to create a more modern great room, with the Kitchen, dining room, and living room working together.

37. Kevin says:

Liz, great job on the Flip! I think you underestimated how beautiful your lighting came out. After going through all your photos (and there were quite a bit), besides the wood flooring the second most interesting thing that popped out at me was your creative choices in lighting. Good job! … Kevin

38. Arnulfo Wise says:

Yes. I have a formal living room and a family room. The family room is in the back of the house and open to the kitchen. I looked at a lot of homes that were completely open concept with just a great room. I prefer homes that are somewhat divided. My living room is mostly used for company or when I want a quiet place to read. It is always neat so if someone pops over unannounced it appears my whole house is that orderly.

39. Joyce says:

Yes! Finally something about functional kitchen.