Our New DIY Dining Room Chairs

You may remember that I first posted about these chairs oh, about a thousand years ago.

Our DIY Dining Room Chairs - It's Great to Be Home

Apparently I’m not a very speedy DIY-er.  :)

That’s okay though, because I love the end result!  Our dining room used to look like this:

Sad Face

I loved everything about it, but the table and chairs were on loan from family and they went back to their “real” home a long time ago.  We were left with a fairly naked dining room so we bought a new table (and changed out the light fixture for my all-time favorite) – then I scoured the globe for dining room chairs, but I didn’t love any of them enough to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on them.  What if we moved and the chairs didn’t work in the new house?  What if our kid(s) and cats destroyed them and all that money went down the drain?  (Our cats are destructive little buggers, and I’m quickly learning that upholstery is no match for a toddler, either.)

So I decided that finding some second-hand chairs with some DIY potential was the way to go.  I finally found 7 of these blond-wood-with-nasty-tweed-upholstery at a local consignment shop and called them mine for $175.  I consider that a total steal!

Dining Room In Transition

They were really quite nasty.

Dining Room In Transition

We lived with them like this for months, until about 3 days before my due date with Peanut when I got a bee in my bonnet to get’er done. It was kind of insane, and I’m pretty sure my husband would have divorced me if I hadn’t been so utterly pregnant.

Dining Room In Transition

Dining Chair Parts

We managed to get the chairs looking presentable before Peanut was born, meaning the legs and seats were assembled and the chair backs were leaning against the back supports . . . and then I didn’t lift a finger to touch them again until we hosted Thanksgiving dinner about 6 months later.  Having a newborn turned out to be more time-consuming than I thought.  :)

I’m planning a post about how we totally transformed the look of these chairs, but in the meantime here are some pics of how this labor of love turned out!

Our DIY Dining Room Chairs - It's Great to Be Home

Our DIY Dining Room Chairs - It's Great to Be Home

Our DIY Dining Room Chairs - It's Great to Be Home

Our DIY Dining Room Chairs - It's Great to Be Home

Please tell me I’m not the only one that can grow a human in the time it takes to complete a project!?!

Comments

The time it took you was so freaking worth it!! They look amazing! I love their retro vibe mixed with the Ikat fabric looks so good & your new table is so pretty!! For real, I’m in love with that table!!

2. They turned out awesome!! Love love love! Totally worth the time and effort – way to go you guys. :)

3. Girl please. My hall bathroom was gutted and remodeled when I got engaged in 2011. We got married in 2012. Now I’m 9 months pregnant. AND IT’S STILL NOT DONE!

4. These look awesome! The new fabric is amazing. So very upscale and chic.

As for long projects, I feel you. Some go quickly and others take years.

5. Eva Z. says:

The chairs look fantastic! I am also a fan of reupholstering solid pieces and giving them a new life. Sometimes it’s uber easy and sometimes takes a bit of work but always worth it! Love the fabric and also how it all goes with everything in the room including your turquoise lamps (in love with those).

6. kristin says:

Great work on a super deal for some chairs with major potential! These look really great (and I am not even into modern furnishings so much). I love them! At 3 days before due date I think I would have passed :) Good call on getting them started!

7. Janis says:

They look so great — and just like they were originally a set with your table! I do hope your aunt is enjoying that turquoise end-paper fabric I voted for ;)

8. bridget b. says:

having a baby *does* have a way of taking up all of your DIY time! my youngest was 7 months old when i finally completed a pretty simple project in my living room that i started during my last trimester of pregnancy. :)

9. Wow, these look like they were professionally done, they look so great! And don’t worry, it took me TWO pregnancies to complete one of my projects. Ahem.

10. Aimee says:

Love the fabric, but changing the wood for hideous blond to teak was a tremendous improvement. They look perfect with your table, and lamps! I like your new table and (old) chairs even better than the set you returned. GREAT JOB! Even better job on Peanut!

11. After reading this post, I’m also considering to transform my wooden dining set to a more lively and colorful form. BTW, I’m doing a project right now which I’ve started last month and I think I can’t finish it within three long months. This will be difficult but I believe it will be rewarding in the future.

Kat Bradshore recently posted.. Flex Seal Review- Does It Really Work?

12. Great project!! All your efforts were worth it!! It really feels good to do something which would have a great outcome! You did a good job. I also hope that I’ll be able to start with my very own DIY project. Wish me luck, though. :)

13. Lisa says:

They look fantastic! Its a beautiful fabric.

14. Louie says:

The chairs look amazing! I love the fabric you choose!

15. Evie tracy says:

I love the way this looks the fabric and the color combination is amazing .Great easy project! It inspired me to update an old furniture that I have. I am excited that how it turned out. Thanks for the idea!

16. Wow! This is a great idea. I have antique chairs and I want to change its appearance. This is the best project. Thanks a lot! :-)

Nicky Dowsett recently posted..BaubleBox Jewelry: Real User Reviews

17. Lenny Polley says:

Your dining room looks so amazing! I admire your creativity and excellent skills. Anyway, I would love to try it. Our dining room looks so old and it’s time for us to do some makeover. Thanks for sharing! :-D

18. Amber says:

So cool! I scored a similar set (only with wood backs ) for $45! I have plans to redo them and this is so inspiring!!! So glad we got featured together over at Better After! You should come by and link up Mondays for Give Me The Goods {1 party, 5 blogs}!!

Amber @ Dimples & Pig Tales

19. Looking awesome. Your taste, colour combination, light effects, fabric even everything is really amazing. You have done a great job dear.

20. The new looks awesome! I love the design on the fabric.

21. The dining chairs looks amazing. I really loved the fabric you used and how you used it.