Our Latest Flip – The “Before” Pics

I feel like a bit of a tease, posting about our 7th flip and then making you wait 3 weeks for “before” pictures.

And now I’m not only a tease, but I’m a tease that forgot to take true “before” pictures – the shame!  That means you get to see photos from the listing which are decidedly snazzier-looking than my typical iPhone photos (to make a long story short, we briefly had the house on the market before we decided to flip it).  But don’t start thinking that this house is all good-looking and such just because it looks snazzy in the photos.  In reality, it ain’t snazzy.  Take my word for it.

Now that I’ve made that disclaimer, here’s how the house looked before we started tearing it apart:

7th flip - before

The exterior looks pretty darn great already.  There’s not much for us to do other than a few little tweaks like planting flowers and maybe switching out the light fixtures.

7th flip - before

We’re removing the storm door (seen above) and we’re thinking about replacing the brass-toned leaded glass inserts with a less busy glass – maybe plain or maybe something that will obscure the view a bit.

7th flip - before

I love that this house has a true entryway, instead of spitting you right out into the living space.  The dining room is to the left in the photo above, and a room that will be used as an office is on the right.  In fact, the floor plan of this house is pretty darn similar to our home’s floor plan – you can see that here.

7th flip - before

Straight ahead, you can see the den.  Are you digging the terrazo floor?  It’s not staying.

7th flip - before

The two front rooms both have parquet floors and lots of ornate plaster molding – both of those things are also getting the boot.  For awhile we thought we’d keep the parquet and refinish it to match the new wood floors that we’ll be adding, but we’ve since decided to go with prefinished flooring so the parquet is now on its way out.

7th flip - before

The room above was the formal living room, but it will make a great office.

7th flip - before

A huge den sits in the center of the house – it has an awesome vaulted ceiling and pretty wood paneling (like our house) that we’ve already had painted white.  You should have seen it when it was a brown dungeon – yikes!

7th flip - before

We plan to stain the beam and mantle darker, remove the fan and add recessed lighting, and cut the scalloped details off the built-in desk (that’s standard operating procedure for our flips by now).

7th flip - before

If you head through the French doors on the left-hand side of this photo, you will end up in the scary enclosed patio.

7th flip - before

While the enclosed patio adds square footage to the house (bringing it up to over 3,000 square feet), it’s not good square footage and it would take a ton of money to make it right.  So…it’s going.  The enclosed patio will become a regular patio, which will in turn give us more backyard because we can tear out the concrete patio that was added.

See?

7th flip - before

You can see here how the house has an awesome privacy fence, and the driveway is also enclosed with an electronic gate – score!  The roof was recently replaced, the A/C is in amazing shape, and some of the windows have already been replaced – we kind of lucked out that this house was already in great structural shape and really only needs cosmetic updates.

7th flip - before

Back to the inside of the house. Here is the kitchen and breakfast nook, which is just off the den.

7th flip - before

Yes, it has yellow sponge paint and more curlicues than you can shake a stick at.  The window in the breakfast nook will be enlarged and have a great view of the backyard.

7th flip - before

This is a kitchen entirely composed of odd angles, which is a bit of a bummer.  We aren’t doing any huge structural changes like moving walls, so we’re working with the configuration we were given.  I think that adding hardwood floors will help soften the strange angles a bit, as opposed to the grid patterns in the tile which just highlight all of the strangeness.

You can see two doorways above – the one on the left leads to the dining room, and the saloon doors on the right appropriately lead to a wet bar (hello 1970’s!), which we are turning into a pantry.

7th flip - before

You can see, through the door in the photo above, the laundry room – the garage is accessed from there, and there is a small hallway that connects to a full bathroom and bedroom.

7th flip - before

That’s the 4th bedroom, above.  We thought long and hard about changing the location of the door from the kitchen to the laundry room/4th bedroom for better access to that 4th bedroom, but any change that we could make would cause the kitchen layout to be even more strange.  So, we nixed that idea.

Let’s pretend that we’ve gone back into the den – there’s a hallway on the opposite side from the kitchen that leads to 3 more bedrooms, including the master.  Oh, and this hallway has more storage than pretty much my entire house – it has 5 closets!  So awesome.

7th flip - before

This is the front bedroom.  Mint green, anyone?

7th flip - before

The 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are connected by this jack ‘n jill bath, which also serves as the guest bathroom.

7th flip - before

The third bedroom, and then…

7th flip - before

The master bedroom!  It has French doors that currently lead to the weird enclosed patio, but will soon provide access to the patio and backyard.  The bathroom setup is almost identical to our 3rd flip’s master bathroom, and we’ll be giving it similar structural changes.

7th flip - before

The tub area will be turned into a large (5×5) walk-in shower, and on the opposite side (which you can’t see in this photo) the toilet and existing shower will be turned into a toilet closet.

So that’s it!  What do you think of our 7th flip?

Comments

1. I love it! This is just what I want to find (but in Michigan) for the hubs and I to fix up. :)

2. Abby says:

Can’t wait to see the progression of this house—I’ve been checking your blog everyday for updates since you announced you bought a 7th flip! You’re living my dream right now, so I’ll just keep reading your blog and taking notes for when I’m able to live my dream :)

3. Erin says:

I can see the potential! Looks like mostly cosmetic changes! Can’t wait to see the progress.

4. Vicki says:

Love it. I quite like the plasterwork in the front rooms. But I suppose it doesn’t fit with the style you are going for. As a comparison for Australia, we wouldn’t have a formal dining room but rather have a separate living room. That might be the case for parts of the US too? I’m not sure if we would have a separate office either. You obviously know your market which of course is the key. Can’t wait to see what you do with that kitchen!

5. LeeAnn says:

I think you have a lot of great areas to work with! You work magic in bathrooms and kitchens, so I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

6. Centsational Girl says:

Awesome Liz! I LOVE watching you flip houses, this is going to be amazing!
    xo
    Kate

7. kristin says:

I can’t wait to see all the beautiful, classic finishes you choose to bring this up to date. You have a dream job!

8. kai says:

Hi Liz, It’s beautiful. Can’t wait to see the transformation:-)

9. This is great! I love it! I love the designs of the kitchen and breakfast nook. The yellow sponge paint is so nice. I would love to try it. :-)

10. Aimee says:

Love your blog!
    Looks like you have a house nearly ready to go except for cosmetic changes. Can’t wait to see what you decide to change! Hope you leave the front door glass. The enclosed “sunroom” is pretty frightening, so I’m with you on its removal. ANTICIPATION!!!

11. Maggie S says:

Looks like a easier flip than the last one –BTW any details on the last house (did it sell on the first open house etc.)
    I can’t wait to see what you do to it!!

There are definitely some details I’d love to fill you guys in on, but I can’t yet. Hopefully soon! :)

12. KathyG says:

This one is so cute! Hope you have fun with it. Looks like it will be quick. You going to be your own contractor again? Lots of work, but many rewards. (I’ve built two houses that way). I have my eye on a flip down the street, waiting for the price to get right (a set of heirs, so it’s a little complicated). The floor plan is typical 1970s and it’s driving me crazy trying to figure out what to do. But fun-crazy, IYKWIM. ;)

13. Lily Parkes says:

Wow! The living room is really awesome. I also love French doors but I never tried it. I’m not really good at interior designs but it’s great to learn so much from this site. Thanks a lot! :-)

14. Christine says:

More changes for the den? It already looks good in my opinion, and I can’t wait to see what further improvement are you going to add to it.

15. Angela L. says:

I had a nice tour inside your house… So, I can’t wait to see the output. Looking forward to it! Good Luck!!!

16. Hillary says:

I’m with Angela! Can’t wait to see the “after!!”

17. April Jacobs says:

Wow! I love the floor plan. You just gave me an idea. Thanks for the link! :-)

18. brey says:

that house is going to be incredible when you’re done with it! I have a feeling this will be your best yet!

19. Tara says:

So beautiful! I can’t wait to see your next project!

20. Michele says:

Can’t wait to see what you have planned, dying to see demo pictures!

21. Sherri J. says:

I love the outside breakfast nook. What are your plans long term? It looks like you have some room for flowers at the very back.

22. I just want to say a single word for you house,
    Amazing……

23. Wow! Your house is so beautiful. I love the wall colors. It looks light and cheerful. I can’t wait to see the finished product! :-)

24. Maria Lloyd says:

These types of covered patio areas are like the traditional ranch house styles of the 1970s – where the patio area is an extension of the rear part of the home. The key to updating this look is in the post options and using paint and furniture items to bring a more modern feel to that outdoor space.

25. Mr. Briddell says:

That is a beautiful home, I really like the wood floors featured in a few of the rooms, what era is that from?

26. Nita says:

Hi- just curious how you get the stained glass inserts out of the front door and sidelights? I have something like this that is driving me crazy. Thanks!

That is an excellent question! I’m hoping that we can just pop off the moldings and pry out the glass, but we’re going to have our glass company take a look at it. I’ll keep you posted!

27. Ronda says:

I am super impressed. Every time I see a flip like this I get inspired and want to convince my husband, who is already a roofing contractor, to flip a house with me. Love your work!

28. Charlie says:

These are seriously gorgeous! This last one is my favorite, really captures the love! :)