Our 7th Flip’s Kitchen – “After”

It’s all finished, yippee!!!

The final push to get a flip on the market is always kind of insane, so after a week of hard work the hubby and I took Friday off to have a little lunch/movie date – so my apologies that I’m just now posting some “after” photos!

Let’s start with the kitchen – it’s a big departure from kitchens that we’ve done in the past.  Instead of white cabinets and some kind of white backsplash, we took a cue from the kitchen at our last flip and decided to mix things up a bit.

7th Flip - Finished "After" Photos

Two-tone cabinets have been a trend for awhile now and I’ve been itching to try it out, so we opted for stained lowers and white uppers.  I think the white uppers help keep the kitchen from feeling too dark, which is definitely a possibility with medium-toned lower cabinets, espresso floors, and a deep gray backsplash.

Before we get too far into things, let’s take a look at where we started out!

7th flip - before

Hmm.  Not much to say about that.  The faux-finished paneling was torn out, as was the bubbling yellow wallpaper.  The curliecues were buzzed off the hutch, and it also got some fresh new doors.

7th Flip - Finished "After" Photos

Better, right?  Oh, and we didn’t have any staging furniture for the breakfast room so the table from our breakfast room and the chairs I redid for our dining room are making an appearance at the flip for the time being (our house looks a little crazy as a result!).

7th flip - before

The “window” in the breakfast room was tiny and looked out into the terrible enclosed patio – it wasn’t cute and it didn’t let in any light.  After tearing out the enclosed patio, we framed out a huge new window and brightened things up with a snazzy new light fixture.

7th Flip Finished - Kitchen

I like that the kitchen has room for a breakfast nook as well as an overhang for bar stools – it’s all about options, people!

006

Looking into the kitchen from the breakfast nook, you can see that we kind of needed to start from scratch.  So we did, except for the layout – we kept that the same, even with the odd angles, because after thinking about a thousand different layouts this one just worked the best.

7th Flip - Finished "After" Photos

But it looks a lot better now, right?

We added sleek glass tile on the backsplash and opted to nix the double ovens so that we could have more counter space.  That door on the right leads to a walk-in pantry that we converted from a 70s-era wet bar.

7th Flip - Finished "After" Photos

We added a 36 inch freestanding range and an undercounter microwave.  That skinny little cabinet next to the box for the microwave is made for baking sheets – so fancy.  Oh, and we also ran a gas line to the stove for extra chef-worthiness.

001

There were also two weird lighting options in the kitchen – a dated ceiling fan and a three-headed spotlight.

7th Flip - Finished "After" Photos

We got rid of those and added recessed lighting (that you can see in some of the other photos).

7th flip - before

Also, the tile in the kitchen had a very severe grid-like effect, which emphasized the weird angles.

7th Flip - Finished "After" Photos

We tore out the tile and added pre-finished hardwoods that run throughout most of the house.  They are gorgeous, but dang – I am never again putting in floors that are so dark!  Every footprint and piece of dust in America has come to live in this house and haunt me…

Up next, the bathrooms!

Comments

1. Robin says:

Where is the fridge?

Ha! Good question. It stayed right where it was, to the left of the stove and next to the door to the laundry room – it didn’t make it into any of the final shots because (since we don’t provide the fridge) it just looked like a big empty spot in the cabinetry.

2. Beth says:

everything looks so great! i love the cabinet (and all the material) choices in the kitchen. can you please tell me the source of the light fixture over the breakfast nook?

thanks!
    beth

3. Simply GORGEOUS! I am in love with the flooring and the dark cabinets! Great job!

The kitchen turned our amazing!! & I love that HUGE window you added in the breakfast area it looks so pretty looking out into the backyard, great choice!!! :)

5. Aimee says:

AWESOME! Can’t believe it is the same space. Totally W-O-W! Great job!

6. Janis says:

Fabulous, Elizabeth! And so true: when I had beautiful, dark floors, I had to dust-mop EVERY DAY!!

7. Vicki says:

What a great kitchen. Perfect for that layout. Looks very inviting.

8. Love the color combination of your kitchen cabinets. It matches with you dining table and flooring.

9. Andria says:

Great job…..totally amazing….where did you get the big breakfast nook window…..we want to do something like that in our home…

10. MIKE THOMPSON says:

SWOON! Gorgeous, Liz! Wow! The choices of colors and finishes are breathtaking. I would love to own a home like this. A showpiece to be sure. Has HGTV contacted you yet? Well, they should!

11. Juliana says:

Hi! Found your blog a few weeks ago and have read practically all of it! You guys are doing a great job.

I’m an architect, living in Brazil and aiming to move to the US and flip some houses. Definitely very inspired by your projects. I can clearly see that you are not just in it for the money and really enjoy remodelling these houses. My case as well.

Anyway, love, love, love the kitchen! That mega window in the breakfast nook rocks. Drooling over the floors, absolutley gorgeous! Also think you guys hit the spot with the white upper cabinets. The stained on the bottom are awesome, but would have left the room dark if used over the counter as well.

Will keep visiting and commenting. Maybe we can network in the future. ;)

As we say in Brazil: Beijos!

12. deb says:

Great work as always – can’t wait to see the rest!

13. Linda Z says:

Oh my goodness… I love that breakfast nook. That big picture window is amazing! Great job! :)

14. Tanner says:

The breakfast nook is nice. It is open and bright. Plus, that backsplash looks so chic. Great job. You will get an good offer in this place in no time.

15. Becky Gaspard says:

Love the color on walls!!… Would love to know, so tired of searching

16. Becky Gaspard says:

Sorry, last comment re: color of walls inquiry was for breakfast area with table by big window… What is color of walls? Thanks!

17. Marilyn says:

You must have people standing in line to buy your houses! Beautiful!

18. allison says:

Hello, I love this kitchen. Mind telling me the name of the granite and lower cabinet color? Thanks.

19. Sigh. Love the white, the maple floors, the light. This is a room you’d enjoy being in.