Making Progress in the Master Bathroom

The last time we chatted about the flip we debated the configuration of the vanity in the master bathroom.  I’m sure you’ve been on pins and needles ever since (wink) just dying to know which option we chose…

Well my friends, the wait is over.  And as an added bonus, you can see how the tile is shaping up.

As a reminder, here’s how the master bath looked before we started ripping everything apart:

original master bath

Here’s how it looked mid-makeover:

master bath demolition

And here’s how it looks today, with lots of finishing touches left to go (like staining the vanity, adding lighting, mirrors, shower glass, paint, hardware…tons of stuff):

Making Progress - Tile

(If you’re curious about the finishes we’re going with, check out the design plan for the master bathroom here.)

I’m absolutely in love with how the vanity turned out. The open toe kick area with the tapered legs might be my favorite thing ever.  And the inset drawers – oh, the drawers.

After all of your great suggestions, we decided to go with Option 1 (see it here) but we tweaked the design to create deeper (but fewer) drawers between the sink cabinets.  Here’s how the final rendering looked:

master vanity

In person it turned out even prettier than I had hoped!

Making Progress - Tile

We plan to stain the vanity – which apparently our painter “forgot.”  I literally almost burst into tears in front of the painter (I blame the pregnancy hormones) when I saw that he had caulked all the seams and prepped the vanity for painting instead of staining.  Luckily, we caught the mistake in time and we’ll still be able to go head and stain it.  Or else I might have flipped.  :)

Making Progress - Tile

You may have noticed the junction boxes for the sconces.  I’m not sure the placement was my best idea, but the wall has been tiled and I’m going to see it through.  You see, there is less room between the left side of the vanity and the shower pony wall than I anticipated, so that sconce is kind of squished next to where the shower glass will be.  And it’s a little closer to the wall-mount faucets than I’d expected so mirror placement might get a little interesting (which is what I was debating here).  Basically, I’m crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.  Would you mind crossing your fingers and hoping along with me?  Much appreciated.

Making Progress - Tile

Here’s a better shot of the herringbone floor tile.  I’m absolutely delighted with how it looks!

master bathroom floor - herringbone

Hopefully I’ll be better about posting flip updates for you guys – things got slow at the flip for awhile so I wasn’t particularly inspired to write about it.  But now things are trucking along!!  :)

Comments

1. Peggy says:

So good to see you back again! And yes, I HAVE been dying to see progress on the master bath! It looks good! I see what you mean about the sconce locations. I’m sure you already have something in mind for the mirrors, but what about using round mirrors? You might be able to work around those sconces if you don’t have corners on the mirrors. Something like what Dana on Housetweaking.com did in her master bath might look good. (I’m kinda partial to her mirror because I copied it for our hall bath).

2. Aimee says:

Liz, it has been a long wait, but it looks TERRIFIC!

3. Sarah says:

So glad to see the progress! It’s been hard to wait – pins and needles indeed. Love the wall tile and the herringbone on the floor. Random question: my master has a tub and I’m thinking of redoing it to make the closet bigger and just put in a shower, not a tub. (I’m not a bath person, but I know some people are.) I’m not planning to sell immediately or anything, was just wondering your thoughts as a realtor and designer on shower-only master baths…

Hi Sarah! We have personally renovated a bunch of master bathrooms into shower-only master baths, and I think it’s a great idea if it’s your best use of space (a fab shower is better than a ho-hum shower/bath in my opinion) AND as long as you have another tub in the house – otherwise people with little kids might be turned off for resale. If you can tick both of those boxes then I say go for it!

4. This looks amazing. I love the progress results from what it was and where it ended up. Beautiful looking tile! The end result looks stylishly fresh and simply beautiful. Great job!

5. Liza Green says:

You’ve gone from it’s original glory to the final perfect glory:) I like your taste of color and style. Fantastic job! It’s good to see your post for an idea. Thanks for sharing!

6. Wow! This is looking great! Beautiful progress so far :)

7. Collette says:

YAYYYY!!!! You’re back with an update! Now just don’t disappear again for eons. The masses get restless. I love the choices! Now tell us why you opted for a CUSTOM everything in here versus getting a high end vanity/sink/top combo from a big box store and calling it good? Those can look amazing, too. Is it truly worth the added labor, expense, etc to go custom? It looks great but so would something else? I understand you were working with CRAZY stuff here, had to work around returns, etc…but STILL. For a flip? Custom? SPILL THE DEETS! Loveyourface. WRITE MORE! And congrats on your pregnancy! Way to rock all the hard work with the bump!

8. Collette says:

Furthermore, I just want to keep commenting so I can keep playing with your cute captcha’s! Love your blog! Love your work. NotAStalkerJustAFan….seriously…

9. Anne Bourne says:

Really love the herringbone floor tile.

10. Janis says:

The tapered legs are AWEsome. And the light wood is gorgeous, as is. Maybe the stain won’t be too dark?

11. Dianna says:

I think the vanity looks great, but I can’t help but thinking about sweeping under it! Love the herringbone pattern. Good luck on the sconces/mirror placement.

12. Annie Craven says:

Great work, such a dark mess to begin with now looking bright and airy. Can’t wait to see the finished project!

13. David Ryan says:

Wow. Good work, Cant’ wait to see how it turn out.