Roundup of Kitchen Lighting Options for the 10th Flip

Remember this huge window that’s going above the kitchen sink?

kitchen window

Well, that sucker needs a few lights above it!  There will be 3 sconces, evenly spaced above the window.  I’ve wanted to try this look for awhile, and I’m so excited about finally doing it!

A few of these choices are more aspirational than realistic (especially since I’ll need 3 of them), but if I saved a few pennies elsewhere I might be able to make them work.

kitchen lighting options

(1) Metal Grid 9 3/4″ High Bronze Wall Sconce – $69.99; (2) Satellite Sconce – $125; (3) Franklin Sconce – $79; (4) Reed Industrial Swing Arm – $335; (5) Bare Bulb Wall Sconce – Angled Lamp – $65; (6) Princeton Junior Sconce 2.25″ – $228 (with this shade combination); (7) Isaac Sconce – Long Arm – $130 (white option could also look great); (8) Industrial Wall Sconce Light – $30; (9) Wood and Metal Caged Wall Sconce – $198; (10) Double Wall Sconce – $95 (also available as a single sconce for $65, or with brass or wood sockets – wood might be nice!); (11) Industrial Wall Sconce – Bare Bulb Lamp – $35; (12) Edison Socket Sconce – $145; (13) Mini Hi-Bay 1-Light Wall Sconce – $149.40

Ideally, the fixtures would cost less than $100 a piece, which actually leaves quite a few options.  However, I’m finding myself drawn most to the Isaac Sconce (#7) – it’s unique, a bit retro looking, and a good size.  It also comes in white – I’m debating whether black or white would look best.  The cabinets will be stained wood, the floor will probably be dark gray tile, the countertops will be marble, and the backsplash will be white with dark grout.  What do you think?  Oh, and I’m thinking that some of these guys might have to make an appearance in the bathrooms…

While I’m leaning towards the Isaac Sconce for above the kitchen window, I’m still not 100% sold on it.  Are there any you absolutely love, or would run away screaming if I chose them?  :)

Comments

1. Debra says:

I like #1 the best!

2. Erik says:

I like #6 the best; #3 & #8 are my least favorites.

If you go with #7, i’d go with black as an accent to the white countop/blacksplash.

3. Marcia says:

#10!!!
    Shades of light has a clear glass vial wall sconce. Product SKU: SC13040 BZ for $99 that is adorable too.

Yes, I love that sconce from Shades of Light – I’ve thought about using it in the master bathroom….

4. Monica says:

#4, 6 and 7 are my favorites but not so good on a budget. I’m in the end stages of my own flip and have vaulted ceilings above the island and sink and am putting in these pendant lights–Caps Collection Mini Pendant from Overstock. Very similar to your #7 but in glass. One question, from the picture it doesn’t look like there is enough room above the window header for a wall mount. I’m cutting out drywall today for my electrician to route around an old door header for some bedroom lighting. I hate cutting out perfectly good drywall! You are doing a fabulous job with this flip–I’m enjoying following your design evolution!

Hey Monica! Love the pendant you chose for your flip! You’re right, there isn’t enough room above the header – the electrician was able to drill through the header and put surface mounted boxes in place for the sconces (I think he called it a “pancake box”, and I’m sure there’s a better way to describe what he did), so the sconces will be mounted on the header. I keep meaning to get a picture of it!

For some reason I didn’t look for sconces on Overstock (just ceiling lights) and I’m so glad you mentioned them because I’m seeing lots of good stuff!!

5. Christy says:

I LOVE #1, and like #13. I think #7 looks like it belongs in an office — however, since you love it, if you get it, I’d prefer white. :-)

6. karin says:

Hi Liz—I like your choice! Black is always a great touch, and would look good with your gray and white. I’d make sure to have a few touches of black in the kitchen, not just the sconces.

As attractive as some of these sconces are, I find it physically uncomfortable to look at a bare bulb. Just another factor you might want to consider!

karin

7. kristin says:

I know you are going for a new style in this home but I have to say to not go to craazzyyy! My opinion! I do love #6 and OF COURSE it is a whopping $228 each! My next choice would probably be yours–#7. I think the cage ones are cool but not as versatile for most. Thanks for letting us weigh in again! :)

8. Alexis says:

I like 4, 6 and 7 the best. I think because, although they look fabulous in photos, I am not fond of bare-bulb fixtures in real life. You might want to check out the “Tilt Cone” sconce by Cedar & Moss – it has the look you want at a semi-reasonable price!

9. Becky says:

Have you seen the eyeball sconce from urban outfitters? Looks a lot like your fav. #7 but with a $29 price tag. It’s corded but could probably be modified by an electrician to be hardwired.

10. Linda Z says:

Ooo, I love fixtures! :) My favorites of the ones here are probably #6 and #13, but it’s hard to tell whether they may be a little too large for the space or not. #7, unfortunately, looks quite cheap to me, but I absolutely love the “Tilt Cone” suggestion that Alexis gave… similar effect to #7, but it looks much higher quality to me. Good luck with your choice! :)

11. Carmen says:

I LOVE 1 and 13. We did a lot of ‘rustic industrial’ in the house we built last year, and it’s my favorite style.

12. Michelle says:

I like #6 the best, followed by #1. I’m not a fan of the bare bulb scones, so those are all out for me!

13. Susannah says:

I of course like #4 and #6 the best but buying three of either would be a big hit to the wallet. I think #7 is a little too Mid Century Mod (maybe a little too retro) and not as industrial looking. But having said that, I’m sure if you pick them once everything is up I will say. . . WOW! that’s awesome!
    PS- LOVE the Tilt Cone suggestion- those are AMAZE!!!

14. Joylyn says:

I’d Go With The Industrial Sconce From Urban Outfitters If You Are Going To ReWire A Lamp. Eyeball Sconces Look Weird To Me And Remind Me Of The 80s. I Love Your Style, Though, And Am Sure Whatever You Choose (Eyeball Lights Included) Will Look Amazing. I Also Really Appreciate The Source Lists You Publish. Awesome. I Look Forward To Each Post.

15. Katy says:

Hi! I’m new here and WOW, I’m already so in love with your blog and all the flips you have done! What an incredible job! In fact, this is my dream job!!!

I’m sure you have answered this question many times in the past, but what is you’re main source for kitchen cabinets? Do you work with a custom cabinet maker, big box store, perhaps an online retailer, etc.?

I’m starting a kitchen remodel and would love to hear your feedback how I can get the most look and best quality for my buck. Thanks again!

16. Janet says:

I looked through the picture and picked out which one I liked the best – #6. And then I looked at the price – of course the one I chose would be one of the most expensive :P (“champagne taste on a beer budget” should be my motto). I agree with some of the other people on having the bulbs covered – when I see light fixtures that have exposed bulb I always think that you’ll need to buy expensive bulbs in order to look nice. If there’s a shade, then you can buy any type of bulb (including the energy-saving, but ugly LEDs and swirly CFLs) that will be bright, but will still look nice.

17. Ann says:

I like stuff I can wipe down with one swab of the cloth. Some of the examples you posted have a lot of nooks and crannies for that greasy kitchen dust to gather….Pretty but not practical.

18. Anne says:

I think a huge deal for me would be not having a bare bulb in my eyes over the kitchen sink. Those types of lamps look really cool, but if I were washing dishes at night, a bare bulb would drive me NUTS. Maybe that’s just me….

So #4, 6, & 7 are great options and would allow for more subtle lighting for those that need it. :)

19. acm says:

I really like #9, but think #1 would make a reasonable substitute and has appeal of its own. For a more playful look, less industrial, I like #10. I just keep picturing the dust and grease that would build up in #7! :(

Can see the objection to bare bulbs, though — would need to see some of these lit in person before committing…