Before + After – Our 10th Flip’s Exterior

You guys, the flip is finished.  Wahoo!

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

Do you remember where we started last fall?

10th Flip - Before

I remember when we first saw this house – my first thought was, “Oh good, there’s nothing super offensive about it.  But dang, that brick is ugly and I wish we could change that bay window into something more modern.”

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

Bam.  Wish granted.

Painting the brick a creamy white instantly freshened up the whole look.  And I love the contrast of the dark window frames against the brick – to me, it looks modern without feeling cold.

Our original vision was to create a boxed bay window (with right angles instead of the more curved look), but that wasn’t possible because of the way the window was framed.  However, with some serious finagling with the window opening our installer was able to switch out the six window panels that looked busy and dated with 3, larger window panels that look sleek and modern.  I’m a happy girl.

Changes to the Exterior

You may have noticed that we also changed the operable windows from vertical sliders to horizontal sliders – I like that all of the windows across the front of the house have vertical lines now.  Maybe that’s a weird thing to notice, but I dig it!

008

Another big change to the front of the house that really upped the curb appeal is the cedar slat screen on the front porch that replaced the dated ironwork.  As soon as our carpenters started building it, I got really excited – it looked so good!!!!

004

We had the slats stained, and I’m still on the fence about how that looks.  At first I was completely bummed and thought I had ruined the whole house (dramatic much?), but then the darker slats grew on me.  I think it works, pulling together all of the dark details on the front of the house, like the windows and the front door, and maybe the lighter cedar slats would have looked out of place?  The world will never know.  :)

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

Ooh, and the house got a sprinkler system!  This is the first time we’ve ever put one in, and I kinda wonder why we always shied away from it in the past.  It wasn’t as expensive as I’d feared (for some reason I thought it would be $5,000+ and it wasn’t), the sprinkler guys were able to knock out the job in one day, it meant that we didn’t have to water the lawn all the time, and it’s definitely something that buyers want in Texas where summer = death to grass.  Adding the sprinkler system did leave naked spots in the lawn where the irrigation pipes were buried, but those spots will grow in quickly once spring arrives.  We’ll be doing this again.

demo, framing & plumbing

In the backyard we added a horizontal cedar fence to replace the original chain link fence – it makes the backyard feel so private and cozy.

10th Flip - Before

We were originally going to stain it darker to match the neighbor’s fence, but after the stain went on the slats on the front porch I got nervous (that’s code for terrified) and decided to just seal the fence instead.  I think that was a good decision, and I love the way the fence looks!

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

We decided to leave the little shed in the backyard so that the new owners can store lawn equipment, etc.  But that’s not the end of the storage in the backyard – the garage also has a huge two-room work area that runs the width of the garage and is about 8 feet wide – that’s almost 200 square feet of “freebie” space!  It’s funny, I didn’t really realize what an added bonus the work room was until we started showing the house to potential buyers – every single person that walked through the space started chatting away about all the ways they could use the space – everything from a yoga studio to a kid’s play area to storage to an office.  And now I want a work room added to my garage.  :)

But I think my favorite part of the backyard is the patio / courtyard area that can be accessed from the game room (family room) and the laundry room right off the kitchen.

10th Flip - Before

(Side note: I don’t have a picture of the brick wall “after” the changes, but those strange light fixtures on the pillars got the boot.  We were going to replace them with something more modern, but everything even remotely attractive was insanely expensive, so we gave them the boot.  Another factor that aided that decision?  We never could find the switch that operated them.  :))

I can just imagine the patio set up with a big dining table with an umbrella, and a grill off the kitchen area.  I know my girls would love playing out there, and the older one could ride a tricycle and color with chalk to her heart’s content.  And it would be so easy to keep an eye on them!  (It’s weird the things that being a mom does to your brain.)  The couple that is buying the house will be having twins soon, and I just know the family is going to enjoy this backyard to the fullest.  That makes me happy!

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

What do you guys think of the changes to the exterior?  Is painting brick a crime?  Do horizontal fences make you scream with happiness?

Read more about the changes to the exterior here.

Comments

I LOVE IT. EVERYTHING. Especially the stained slats at the front! Seriously, your best yet Liz.
    christy´s last blog post post ..PINK

2. Lucinda says:

LIz,

Love how this one turned out. The drive looks great. Don’t worry about that dark stain the Texas sun will fade it soon enough to a lighter color. What street is this one on?

Lucinda

3. kristin says:

Painting brick is NOT a crime! To update some of these older homes (ie ranches and ones like our tri-level) they MUST be painted. I have found from watching you, and ranch homes around here, that they transition very nicely from the dated home to a contemporary home. The boxy shape allows clean, contemporary lines and it goes modern in an instant! We have a lot of switches that we don’t know what they go to! One of the quirks of the 60’s/early 70’s homes I think. The house looks wonderful! I love the little tree between the windows, your slats, and the windows. It’s neat how you eliminated the shutters and went so streamlined. Great work again!

4. deb says:

Really like the horizontal fence! Glad that you realized a sprinkler system wouldn’t break the bank. Great job once again…

5. Abbey says:

Liz,

The painted brick looks awesome. When it comes to painting the exterior, do you have to remove the landscaping or was that a personal preference to plant something new? I ask only because a house in our neighborhood recently painted their brick and took out all the front landscaping too.

Hi Abbey! That was just a personal preference – we knew we weren’t going to keep the existing landscaping, so it was a good time to start fresh. Although painters do need to cover existing plants and be careful not to trample the landscaping while they’re painting. :)

6. Kasey says:

LOVE it!! Excited to see the inside as well. I really like the fence, what a great backyard, and you are SO right, being a momma changes your thoughts on all kinds of things huh?!

7. Sara says:

I love the painted brick. Looks so much more updated! I also love the horizontal fence!

8. Krista says:

I dig the more modern & sleek windows & we are currently looking for some similar in style – can you tell me the window manufacturer please?
    Krista´s last blog post post ..Basement Utility Room gets some swank?

9. Aimee says:

Liz,
    I love your blog, and also your readers’ comments! The paint and new windows make all the difference. The new owners will bless you all through our long, hot summer for adding the sprinkling system. Will we get to see a photo of the side patio with all the updates, and a view from of the patio and back grassed area also?
    Wonderful work, yet again!

10. Linda Z says:

The exterior looks fabulous!!! I agree with Aimeee… the paint and windows made the house look so different. I cannot wait to see the finished interior with all the final touches. Congratulations on the sale!!! :)

11. Marcia says:

This flip deserves 5 stars! By far the one I desired most to be transverse to Chicago.

12. Britt says:

What a BEAUTIFUL transformation. I don’t think paining ugly salmon-colored brick is ever a crime :) I’m not sure when this house was built, but to me these exterior remodel feels equally “modern” and “classic.” You’ve upped the character and charm along with the finishes–not always the case with a flip. Way to go!

13. Andrea says:

I really love what you did with this exterior Liz!!! You guys are professionals for a reason. I really enjoy coming to this blog.
    Andrea´s last blog post post ..The Convenience and Security of Having Keypad Electronic Locks

14. Karen says:

It looks great! Can you please share the color/brand of the paint you used for brick? This looks like a color we are considering for our 60’s Ranch style home as well.. Thanks!

15. acm says:

Wow, forgot to check back for a bit (as my own latest flip winds up) and I love this exterior! Definitely think that the dark stain is good on the slats — ties into trim rather than looking stranded. Wow, it’s all so fantastically retro-mod! Great work.

16. Kyla says:

Great job!!!

Could you tell me what material/brand the new windows are?

Thanks!