Before + After – Our 10th Flip’s Office + Attached Bathroom

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

Last week you got a little glimpse of the office / 4th bedroom that we added to the flip – are you ready to see the full enchilada?

Pardon me, I have TexMex on the brain.

But back to the office – remember how the flip had 3 living areas when we bought it?  That just seemed crazy, so we switched things up and converted the formal dining room into an office, and turned the formal living room into the new dining room.  Here’s how it looked originally:

10th Flip - Before

And the entrance to the office is through the 5-lite glass door – I love that door and saved it during demo, it was originally an exterior door located to the right of the fireplace:

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

Inside, the office is light and bright, and would be an excellent guest room with the addition of a roman shade or frosted film on the glass door.

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

(I’m adding a “Read More” link to my posts to help the pages load quicker, due to the number of photographs.  So click below, there’s more!  :))

Isn’t it crazy that all it took to create a new office is a few 2x4s?

demo, framing & plumbing

While we were switching up the floor plan, we took the opportunity to scootch down the kitchen a bit and steal some space for a full bath and closet – you can see the changes in the floor plans below.

before and after floor plan

It was a pretty big change that I’m really excited about, and now that office really can operate as an additional bedroom!

In the photo below you can see the portion of the kitchen that we stole for the bathroom – it’s basically everything in the background, up to the peninsula.

10th Flip - Before

Here’s how that looked during framing:

demo, framing & plumbing

Can you see how the window that used to be over the kitchen sink is now inside the bathroom?

Figuring out how to fit a closet, shower and vanity inside this bathroom was quite a trick – our framer was very patient with me when we walked through all the options a zillion times.  :)  I finally settled on a 4 foot wide, reach-in closet (perfectly sufficient for a spare bedroom), and a corner shower that turned out to be surprisingly spacious!

demo, framing & plumbing

Now that all the finishes are in, you would never guess that this bathroom wasn’t here a few months ago.  I wasn’t sure how the black hardware would look with the gray vanity, but it turned out better than I’d hoped.  And you can bet we’ll be using these Ikea vanities again!  We were able to customize them by using our own marble counters, modern faucets and vessel sinks, and I think those little touches really made a big difference.

"After" photos of 10th flip - It's Great to Be Home

How do you think the office and bathroom turned out?

Comments

1. kristin says:

Just amazing. I can’t believe all the space you stole from the kitchen! And I have just learned that “spaceship” (corner) showers don’t look bad at all when done custom!!! Wow! We have a little vessel one in our lower level. No need to invest in the upgrade, but looks SOOOO good custom! And to have the window for not only the office placed perfect, but a window for the bath? Crazy…crazy good!

2. Reader says:

So sad you truncated your posts via readers. Unfortunately, I won’t be following anymore since my internet is too sketchy where I live to visit sites with giant pictures. I’ve been along with your on your flip journeys ever since I think #3 with the white kitchen. Good luck to you.

Hi! That was a brief experiment, but I went back to full posts. Hopefully that will be reflected on your reader for upcoming posts!

3. Abby says:

Love it! We have that same floor tile in our guest bathroom! Where did you get that square bathroom mirror? Thanks!

4. Michelle says:

All the changes look pretty, updated, and functional. Very nice.

5. Aimee says:

Liz, what a transformation! Not only did you get a bonus bathroom, but you improved the proportions of your kitchen as well. No downside to that change! I like how the vanity is wall hung; just another touch that visually expands your space. Love the floor. Any chance of a closer picture?
    The front of the house originally had a sad floor plan, so kudos to you for improving it so much. Great job.

6. Peggy says:

I enjoy living vicariously through your remodels! I know my husband would never go for a full gut remodel like what y’all do, but it so much fun to watch y’all.
    It’s interesting that this house has a relatively small and not-so-open kitchen. Did you find that people looking at the house noticed/liked/didn’t like that feature? Of course, the rest of the house has plenty of other things going for it that might overshadow the smallish kitchen. Just wondered.

7. Jordan says:

These are awesome. Way to use a lot of what you already have and make an entirely different home!

8. dbarrett says:

Hi Liz,
    I’m loving that chandelier in the new dining room- can you share your source? Love the Ikea vanity, I wonder if it would work with a drop in sink?
    thanks! Debra

Hi Debra! The chandelier is from West Elm. As for using a drop-in sink with the Ikea vanities, I was told by the folks at Ikea that vessel sinks were the only option other than the sink/countertop combo that they sell. That’s why we went that route! Hope that helps. :)

9. Hi Liz, I love the transformation! Completely opens everything up. Could you please share the floor brand and color? I love the mix in these ones.
    Thanks, Helen

Hi Helen! It’s the Gray Penny Porcelain Mosaic from Floor & Decor – hope that helps!

10. Andrea says:

oooh oooh i really like the bathroom! nicely done.
    Andrea´s last blog post post ..Amazon’s Best Sliding Barn Door Kits

11. Brittney says:

This looks really great. The bathroom is by for the best part of the remodel. If you don’t mind sharing, where did you get the tile for the bathroom floor from?
    Brittney´s last blog post post ..Bathroom Remodel Tips to Add Functionality and Style

12. So fresh looking and great use of materials. I found my way here today from Centsational Girl and will follow along so I don’t miss anything. I look forward to exploring more of your flips.

13. Amazing makeover I would say. Bought a chandelier from West Elm, thanks for sharing Liz!

14. Very beautiful! Loving the chandeliers, good choice.

15. Just amazing. Can yoy sau a little bit about the cost for the bathroom?